Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked 4,950 Times in 3,060 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Get a custom titanium frame and do it right
What's the big deal about a custom ti frame? I realise you can have "custom" geometry, but most people don't need that unless they are a very odd shape.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-28-21, 10:45 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked 1,501 Times in 1,041 Posts
I am also (but not too seriously) looking at 3 of the bikes listed in this thread (mainly to get disc brakes) on about half of the OP's budget, i.e., $5,000, and so am aiming for a mechanical Ultegra build. I can afford but do not want to spend more because I am under no delusion that I will become any faster. My uninformed opinion:

1. Bianchi Infinito CV: Italian premium (yes I know the frame is made in Taiwan), renowned celeste color, weird (more fragile?) seat post. Geometry closest to my current road bike.
2. Argon 18 Krypton GF (not Pro): Intrigued by review on Gran Fondo magazine, but have not found a dealer to try it. Must get it built to get Shimano Ultegra components, but then at least I can get a short cage rear derailleur.
3, Canyon Endurace: Least expensive, but only comes in black. My leg muscles are not strong enough for 52/36, so requires swap to 50/34 on day 1. Waiting for Canyon showroom in Carlsbad to reopen in mid-June to take a look and ask if that is possible.
Old 05-29-21, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What's the big deal about a custom ti frame? I realise you can have "custom" geometry, but most people don't need that unless they are a very odd shape.

I would like a Ti frame just because I think it looks more like a "bike" than carbon frame. I bought a Giant carbon bike because it's about 2k cheaper for the same group set. I don't think the Ti frame is worth the extra 2k up lift charge over the carbon frame. If there where the same price I would buy the Ti bike over the carbon bike even though the carbon frame is probably functionally a better frame.
Old 05-29-21, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I would like a Ti frame just because I think it looks more like a "bike" than carbon frame. I bought a Giant carbon bike because it's about 2k cheaper for the same group set. I don't think the Ti frame is worth the extra 2k up lift charge over the carbon frame. If there where the same price I would buy the Ti bike over the carbon bike even though the carbon frame is probably functionally a better frame.
You mean a Ti frame looks more like an old bike? Or do you think your Giant carbon bike actually looks like something else?
I don't have a problem with Ti bikes and I do quite like the classic look. But I wouldn't choose one over a modern carbon frame for various reasons. If someone has a large budget, it certainly doesn't mean they ought to automatically choose a custom Ti frame, as if anything else is inferior. That was my point really.
Old 05-29-21, 05:57 PM

You mean a Ti frame looks more like an old bike? Or do you think your Giant carbon bike actually looks like something else?
I don't have a problem with Ti bikes and I do quite like the classic look. But I wouldn't choose one over a modern carbon frame for various reasons. If someone has a large budget, it certainly doesn't mean they ought to automatically choose a custom Ti frame, as if anything else is inferior. That was my point really.
I like my Giant revolt gravel bike for $2600. No complaints. For $50 more than just a lynskey frame and fork I got fully functioning bike. It was a no brainer.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...dvanced-2-2021

if there where the same price I would have went with the probably heavier Ti bike. I kind of like the older bike look that you call it.
Old 05-30-21, 04:05 AM

I like my Giant revolt gravel bike for $2600. No complaints. For $50 more than just a lynskey frame and fork I got fully functioning bike. It was a no brainer.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...dvanced-2-2021

if there where the same price I would have went with the probably heavier Ti bike. I kind of like the older bike look that you call it.
Yes, that looks quite nice, although not keen on the graphics. Interesting that many modern Ti bikes have carbon forks. Seems a bit odd if Ti is supposed to be the ultimate frame material.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-21, 07:43 PM

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Don't really have an opinion on the choices vs one another, just wanted to share my build. I got this Domane SL6 for a steal last year from someone local decided he really wanted an Emonda SLR frame apparently after two rides with it and I tried to resell it...ebay buyer returned it with some bs excuses...so it sat in boxes for almost a year. With the bike drought and all decided this year to build it and keep it, throwing a few summer upgrades for it. Its my first endurance geo bike .

Plan is come fall to throw some Panaracers or WTB Riddlers on the stock Paradigm wheels for some gravel duty.

Last edited by Esthetic; 05-30-21 at 07:48 PM.
Likes For Esthetic:
Old 05-30-21, 08:47 PM

Interesting that many modern Ti bikes have carbon forks. Seems a bit odd if Ti is supposed to be the ultimate frame material.
Seems like on any bike that cost over 1k you get a carbon fork. steel, aluminum, Ti, Carbon frame bikes all get a carbon fork. I guess the strength to weight, vibration damping, cost to make must make it the ideal fork material.
Old 05-30-21, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Giant Defy gets my vote.
Old 05-31-21, 06:03 AM

Seems like on any bike that cost over 1k you get a carbon fork. steel, aluminum, Ti, Carbon frame bikes all get a carbon fork. I guess the strength to weight, vibration damping, cost to make must make it the ideal fork material.

That was my point. Logic follows that carbon is the ideal frame material too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-31-21, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
The Giant Defy gets my vote.
I have to say I've been very happy with my Defy Pro. I picked it up new for £2k in an end of season shop sale in Dec '19, which was a total bargain for full carbon frame and wheels. Groupset is only 105 (R7000), but I can't honestly tell any difference between 105 and Ultegra mechanical. The Ultegra version was an extra £600 in the same sale and otherwise identical, so I decided to save the cash.

But our local roads are so crappy I'm now wondering whether I should get something like a Specialized Roubaix. The front shock sounds like just the thing I need for the rough country lanes full of potholes. My Defy actually copes really well compared to other road bikes I've ridden, but it still gets a battering, especially at the front end.
Old 06-24-21, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by clichty
Now that I'm finally past the point of having super young kids and starting/stopping riding over the last 6 years, it is now time to upgrade my 12 year old Felt. I have a healthy budget but doesn't seem like I need to spend $10k to get what I want (under $8k lots of options). I don't need the bike ASAP but would like a new one prior to next summer at a minimum.

Must haves:

Full Carbon Frame and pretty much everything else (would consider Ti)

Electronic Shifting (Force or Ultegra Di2, Red/DA not necessary)

Disc Brakes

Ability to mostly ride on the road/paths but have some packed dirt/gravel/rough road capability (ie 28-30 tires)

17ish lbs or less. Still would like to be under 18 lbs

Used from TPC is just fine, I love buying used as it gets all the dings and blemishes at a discount vs me doing it at some point anyway

I'm 6-0 with a 33ish inseam so right at a 56/58 depending on brand.

Looking for any opinions on the below Endurance/All Road-ish bikes or any other opinions. Guessing any one of these would completely work but I'm assuming I'm not the first person to compare these. Guessing it boils down to price more than anything.

Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0 eTap: Seems like for $6k its pretty loaded, especially with the built in power meter. Also it can ship today

Cervelo Caledonia 5: $6.5-$7 for di2/SRAM feels decent.

S-Works Roubaix: Can find used ones on Pro's Closet for $8k. There was one for $6.5k I should have snatched up but I was too slow. Wouldn't consider a new one at $10k but used seems doable. Still pricey at $8k from TPC.

Trek Domane SL/SLR 6 and Up. Lots of options here, some of the lower tiers feel a bit heavy.

Allied All Road. Love the functionality of this but not sure I need it to be this gravel intense? Adding any customization and it gets pretty expensive.

Thanks all
Any updates on your search?

I wonder if you ever looked into the T-lab R3 Omni that was mentioned earlier.
Old 06-24-21, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Any updates on your search?

I wonder if you ever looked into the T-lab R3 Omni that was mentioned earlier.
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything but I will say that I have definitely expanded the search a bit more. There were a number of different brands I hadn't heard of (or barely knew) so been poking around those sites quite a lot. I think I have determined I probably need to ride a carbon bike and a titanium bike to see if I can determine any differences. Exploring all the custom design for Ti bikes has been intriguing as I could design something 100% to my liking. Building the T-Lap Omini with a slew of upgrades is comparable/cheaper to some other alternatives.

I'm still checking TPC often to see if anything pops up there but hasn't been anything in a while that has peaked my interest. A lot of nice bikes but not quite what I am looking for.

Also I did buy a slew of new (used) parts for an older Klein (started a thread on that too looking for different kind of advice) so that has been taking up a bit more time. Gives me something to tinker with in the garage and learn more about bike wrenching. Doing a 100% rebuild, the only thing original will be the frame/fork but every other part is going to be replaced.
Old 06-24-21, 10:10 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts

...Trek Domane SL/SLR 6 and Up. Lots of options here, some of the lower tiers feel a bit heavy.
OP: Late to the dance and a sample of one, so take it with a grain of salt. I've had three Domanes, one from each generation, all with di2 and the highest end wheels and pieces Bontrager makes. The last two have been disc. The weight has gone from 16 all in on a 58cm frame to a bit north of 18 on the current SLR, which is a 56cm. Despite the weight gain, the bike has gotten both significantly more comfortable, faster and more versatile. I have a second set of wheels running 40mm gravel tires. There is nothing this bike does not do well. On the road, it basically disappears under you. On rough stuff, it provides a level of control and security that allows me to ride events pointed toward dedicated gravel bikes and riders.

Last edited by tigat; 06-24-21 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For tigat:
Old 06-24-21, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tigat
OP: Late to the dance and a sample of one, so take it with a grain of salt. I've had three Domanes, one from each generation, all with di2 and the highest end wheels and pieces Bontrager makes. The last two have been disc. The weight has gone from 16 all in on a 58cm frame to a bit north of 18 on the current SLR, which is a 56cm. Despite the weight gain, the bike has gotten both significantly more comfortable, faster and more versatile. I have a second set of wheels running 40mm gravel tires. There is nothing this bike does not do well. On the road, it basically disappears under you. On rough stuff, it provides a level of control and security that allows me to ride events pointed toward dedicated gravel bikes and riders.
That is great input, thanks! I keep going back to the Domane as well; given its relatively mass produced it feels like I can get a good deal on a used one at TPC. There was one that almost checked every box but it wasn't disc so I didn't end up pulling the trigger.
Old 06-24-21, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Was very recently looking for pretty much the same specs.
My very short list had the Caledonia 5, Krypton Pro and Roadmachine. I wound-up going in a different direction, but would have been very happy with either the Cervelo or BMC. Only downside really is the weight at ~18 lbs.
Old 06-24-21, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichLV
Was very recently looking for pretty much the same specs.
My very short list had the Caledonia 5, Krypton Pro and Roadmachine. I wound-up going in a different direction, but would have been very happy with either the Cervelo or BMC. Only downside really is the weight at ~18 lbs.
What did you end up going with?
Old 06-24-21, 05:58 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What did you end up going with?
Getting a complete bike, outfitted the way I wanted would have taken at least a few months to track down. Saw a Specialized Tarmac frame in black and 56cm, so scooped it up and ordered parts from different online vendors. With 28mm tubeless tires running at 60psi, it is more comfortable than the Madone it was replacing.
Likes For RichLV:
Old 06-24-21, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything but I will say that I have definitely expanded the search a bit more. There were a number of different brands I hadn't heard of (or barely knew) so been poking around those sites quite a lot. I think I have determined I probably need to ride a carbon bike and a titanium bike to see if I can determine any differences. Exploring all the custom design for Ti bikes has been intriguing as I could design something 100% to my liking. Building the T-Lap Omini with a slew of upgrades is comparable/cheaper to some other alternatives.

I'm still checking TPC often to see if anything pops up there but hasn't been anything in a while that has peaked my interest. A lot of nice bikes but not quite what I am looking for.

Also I did buy a slew of new (used) parts for an older Klein (started a thread on that too looking for different kind of advice) so that has been taking up a bit more time. Gives me something to tinker with in the garage and learn more about bike wrenching. Doing a 100% rebuild, the only thing original will be the frame/fork but every other part is going to be replaced.
Thanks for that. I'm in a similar search - which probably explains how I came across this thread. My list has grown as a consequence too.

Good luck and maybe update the thread when you think of it for those following along.
Old 06-24-21, 07:29 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Getting a complete bike, outfitted the way I wanted would have taken at least a few months to track down. Saw a Specialized Tarmac frame in black and 56cm, so scooped it up and ordered parts from different online vendors. With 28mm tubeless tires running at 60psi, it is more comfortable than the Madone it was replacing.
Off topic, but do your tires stay bead locked to your rims when deflated? I have the 303S and they would always unmount when deflated, which made them more fussy to maintain. I loved the tires, otherwise.
Old 06-25-21, 12:43 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Off topic, but do your tires stay bead locked to your rims when deflated? I have the 303S and they would always unmount when deflated, which made them more fussy to maintain. I loved the tires, otherwise.
Luckily, I haven't seen them deflate yet. So far, they only need a slight top-off between rides. Then again, its only been a few months, but so far so good.
Old 06-25-21, 12:45 PM

Luckily, I haven't seen them deflate yet. So far, they only need a slight top-off between rides. Then again, its only been a few months, but so far so good.
Did you mount them yourself? If so, did you put in sealant before seating them?
Old 06-25-21, 01:32 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Did you mount them yourself? If so, did you put in sealant before seating them?
I did not mount them myself. New to tubeless, and even newer to hookless, so I let the LBS handle it. They did use sealant, Orange regular.
Likes For RichLV:
Old 06-25-21, 01:46 PM

I did not mount them myself. New to tubeless, and even newer to hookless, so I let the LBS handle it. They did use sealant, Orange regular.
Okay, cool. A word to the wise, though - if it's been a few months, you're really going to want to make sure that you've still got enough good sealant in the tires - it doesn't last forever. I've had OS last a few months or so in the front tire (which typically sees fewer punctures), but it's more common for me to need to top off after 5-6 weeks. Of course, YMMV, depending upon road conditions and, well, mileage.
Old 06-25-21, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,679 Times in 789 Posts
deleted

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-08-22 at 07:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.