Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

ebike forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 06:53 PM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
ebike forum

This was mentioned in another thread in commuting.

There seems to be a strong interest in electric assist bicycles and it was suggested that there be a request made for the addition of an ebike forum. This forum would feature the discussion of the use, design, evolution, and construcction of electric assist bucycles. So, here is the request.
Old 05-01-07, 09:51 AM
e-Biker

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HELL YEAH!

Electric Bikes are a fast growing market segment. And contrary to some elitists beliefs, these are still bikes that you pedal.

There certainly are plenty of subjects on the matter spread across all the forums. Wouldn't it be nice if they were all in one place instead?

I think eBikes deserve their own forum just as much as recumbent, mountain and folders do. They're just a different specialty bike, that's all.
Old 05-06-07, 09:18 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There seems to be a distinct lack of interest in bikes that have more than doubled their weight with lead acid batteries.
Old 05-06-07, 09:29 PM
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine has Lithium and only 15lbs more (or 1/2 more).
I still think it's a case of "build it and they will come."
Old 05-06-07, 09:36 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Start a poll in the Alt bike forums, and see what they think. I'll work with you on this, if there's a real demand.
Old 05-08-07, 07:10 PM

Bikes: 3 spd folfing, CCM dual susp 21 spd, Raleigh Bighorn 18 spd, CTC Strong Ebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Came here to suggest an ebike forum, surprised to see it already suggested, disappointed in the reaction thereto!
As an ebike owner, that's why I'm here. Health probs mean I can only bike thanks to the battery assist!
Why the negativity towards this great invention?
Old 05-08-07, 07:40 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by voltpedal
Came here to suggest an ebike forum, surprised to see it already suggested, disappointed in the reaction thereto!
As an ebike owner, that's why I'm here. Health probs mean I can only bike thanks to the battery assist!
I worked in a bike shop in Australia, and every once in a while, someone would come in asking about electric bikes. We kindly explained to them that taking a 15kg bike and adding another 15kg (or more) in battery, motor, and drive mechanism left you with a bike that was impossible to pedal uphill, and quite a bit of work on the flats.

While I can appreciate that fact that battery assist lets you enjoy cycling, I'm not sure that there is enough interest to create another forum.
Old 05-09-07, 08:56 AM
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
eBikes are in high demand all over the place. They're backordered everywhere at this time of year in Canada. Japan is going completly nuts over eBikes.

Oh... BTW... your comment on "impossible to pedal uphill" is total BS ! If anything, that's where eBikes shine the most. I know I can go uphill on grades that others either fall off or have to get off their bikes to climb. The reason for that is obvious: Speed! When going uphill if you drop below a certain speed you can't maintain balance and you have to put your foot down. Once you do that, you now have to walk the bike up the hill. With my eBike on Assist mode #4 (300% assist) the bike puts out 3X the torque that I do into the pedals. I can climb really steep grades without taking my butt off the seat. Heck, I have to lean over the handlebars because the front wheel is starting to lift up.

Sorry to say this Brian, but are clueless about eBikes. Which is one reason why we're requesting an eBike forum; to better educate people, and even bike shop employees, about eBike models, variations, applications, laws etc. Rather than spreading eBike discussions all over the other forums (do a search, they're all over the other forums), we want to concentrate all eBike discussions in one area.

There is so much mis-information going around about eBikes that it's time to clear things up. And please do your customers a favor Brian, stop BSing them with the "impossible to pedal uphill" comment. It's just completly false.

Last edited by Zeuser; 05-09-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-09-07, 09:04 AM
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by voltpedal
Historically the human race has always been afraid of change. Like anything, it'll take a while before people really see the benefits. It's pretty obvious when you read all the typical anti-eBike B.S. floating around. Things like "cheating", "too heavy", "lazy people", "old people" and so on. All of which are simply put forth by people who are AFRAID of change.

I lived through the same type of resistance during the explosion of computer science. People were really afraid of computers for a long time. Especially the '80s when a slew of anti-computer movies like "Wargames" and "The Terminator" hit the box office. But during the '90s people began seing the real benefits. And now in the early 21st century, people now think you can't live without computers.

The same thing will happen with eBikes and other electricity based transportation systems. Eventually, people will not only accept them, they'll embrace them.

eBike fans, like me, are simply years ahead of the general population. I chalk it up to having an open mind and not dismissing a certain product by repeating some stupid comment uttered by some other idiot.
Old 05-09-07, 10:14 AM
Calixfornia dreamin'

Bikes: old one, mtn bike, Volta e-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came here for ebikes, and ended up becoming an avid biker. I think e-bike forum would be great. I hate to see misinformation like Brian posted, and also there is a lot of venom from the biking purists when you post anywhere else, even in commuting when you use your ebike for commuting. I would love an ebike forum.
Old 05-09-07, 05:18 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
eBikes are in high demand all over the place. They're backordered everywhere at this time of year in Canada. Japan is going completly nuts over eBikes.

Oh... BTW... your comment on "impossible to pedal uphill" is total BS ! If anything, that's where eBikes shine the most. I know I can go uphill on grades that others either fall off or have to get off their bikes to climb. The reason for that is obvious: Speed! When going uphill if you drop below a certain speed you can't maintain balance and you have to put your foot down. Once you do that, you now have to walk the bike up the hill. With my eBike on Assist mode #4 (300% assist) the bike puts out 3X the torque that I do into the pedals. I can climb really steep grades without taking my butt off the seat. Heck, I have to lean over the handlebars because the front wheel is starting to lift up.

Sorry to say this Brian, but are clueless about eBikes. Which is one reason why we're requesting an eBike forum; to better educate people, and even bike shop employees, about eBike models, variations, applications, laws etc. Rather than spreading eBike discussions all over the other forums (do a search, they're all over the other forums), we want to concentrate all eBike discussions in one area.

There is so much mis-information going around about eBikes that it's time to clear things up. And please do your customers a favor Brian, stop BSing them with the "impossible to pedal uphill" comment. It's just completly false.
So how fast do you go uphill with a dead battery?
Old 05-09-07, 06:29 PM
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never tried it... it never went dead.
Old 05-09-07, 07:10 PM
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the 245164 threads I find at the moment in this forum, 7 (including this one) have the term "ebike" in the thread title. That's an average of about one thread per year. And none of the threads seem to have a significant amount of participation.

In the 3926618 posts I find at the moment in this forum, 209 have the term "ebike" somewhere in the post.

There's room for all sorts of cycling here, but I find it hard to see the case for an ebike forum at this time. I just don't see where all the demand is for such a subforum.
Old 05-09-07, 07:15 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In the old days, I would have had to write a script and queried the database. But the search function does make it easier.
Old 05-09-07, 08:05 PM
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jschen
In the 245164 threads I find at the moment in this forum, 7 (including this one) have the term "ebike" in the thread title.
Try "electric bike" instead. I got 24 titles.
And my "ebike" search came up with 94 hits. hmmmm... Not 209.

Still, just because there's little interest from existing members, it doesn't mean it won't attract new ones. Maybe there would be more if eBikers visiting this place saw an eBike forum?
Does the popularity of a given subject determine if it needs a forum of its own?

I still think it's a case of : "build it and they will come."

Last edited by Zeuser; 05-09-07 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 08:51 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The responses here are rather telling.
Old 05-10-07, 05:13 AM
Calixfornia dreamin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
The responses here are rather telling.
I'm sure the the vagueness of the post had nothing to do with it...
I find your animosity towards ebikes to be very 'telling'.
How about this one? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...+electric+bike

Perhaps there is not enough demand for now, but like Zueser said, build it and they will come. That's how I found BF in the first place, by looking for e-bike info. Now I'm a total convert from skating to biking. So it has its place.
Old 05-10-07, 05:55 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Animosity? We have over 65,000 members, and 4 have asked about an ebike forum. I'm not saying I'm totally against them, only that I don't think they warrant their own forum at this time. We can't create a new forum for every little niche.
Old 05-10-07, 06:38 AM
Calixfornia dreamin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, you wouldn't want to create a new forum for every little niche.

But animosity, yes. Pointing to one thread that has no responses, when there are others that have pages.

Not to mention the one liners you've posted in this very thread:
"There seems to be a distinct lack of interest in bikes that have more than doubled their weight with lead acid batteries."
" So how fast do you go uphill with a dead battery?"

(how fast do YOU go with a flat tire, and what are we, racing?)

Just my observation
Old 05-10-07, 07:52 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/alt-bike-culture/ Take the ebike discussions to Alt Bike Culture.
Old 05-10-07, 05:50 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thimblescratch
I agree, you wouldn't want to create a new forum for every little niche.

But animosity, yes. Pointing to one thread that has no responses, when there are others that have pages.

Not to mention the one liners you've posted in this very thread:
"There seems to be a distinct lack of interest in bikes that have more than doubled their weight with lead acid batteries."
" So how fast do you go uphill with a dead battery?"

(how fast do YOU go with a flat tire, and what are we, racing?)

Just my observation
There were plenty of threads with mixed responses, I just pointed out one that many had viewed, but no one could be bothered to respond to.

And I was trying to make the point that there are some diminishing returns with ebikes - you need the motor to help you lug all that weight up a hill. And if the battery goes flat, you're screwed.
Old 05-10-07, 06:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So, if we do create a new forum, what would the title be?
Old 05-10-07, 08:02 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Cycling for the pedaling declined.
Old 05-11-07, 05:40 AM
Calixfornia dreamin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forum name... how about:

Electric Bikes

or something more to the point like

You're not a Real Cyclist, and You're Not Welcomed Here

0.o
Old 05-11-07, 06:49 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thimblescratch
Forum name... how about:

Electric Bikes

or something more to the point like

You're not a Real Cyclist, and You're Not Welcomed Here

0.o
So much for my efforts to be serious. I've never put down anyone for what they ride. Although if you follow my blog, you know that I'm pretty critical of some of the alternate designs out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.