Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

True Confessions Time.. Ever Ride Blotto?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

True Confessions Time.. Ever Ride Blotto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
nope
Old 01-09-21, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
DWI time if your caught riding a lawn mower drunk here.

True store, short version. Friend drunk, moving his Harley in his garage falls over, smashing his foot. See his doctor and told straight out. If Law enforcement knew of this happening he would have been charged with a DWI.
Old 01-09-21, 08:37 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
DWI time if your caught riding a lawn mower drunk here.

True store, short version. Friend drunk, moving his Harley in his garage falls over, smashing his foot. See his doctor and told straight out. If Law enforcement knew of this happening he would have been charged with a DWI.
That’s off topic, but, while I don’t doubt the doc said that, I do doubt that it’s true someone could get a DWI for a motorcycle accident in their own garage. Traffic laws do not apply on private residential property...which is why you can park an unregistered vehicle in your garage but not on the street.
Old 01-09-21, 08:45 AM

That’s off topic, but, while I don’t doubt the doc said that, I do doubt that it’s true someone could get a DWI for a motorcycle accident in their own garage. Traffic laws do not apply on private residential property...which is why you can park an unregistered vehicle in your garage but not on the street.

You don't live in this state. I said the same, he insisted it was true.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 01-09-21, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster

Old 01-09-21, 10:21 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Are you in the USA? Regardless of what your friend insists, I doubt it. Post the statute, name the state...your word about what your “friend” insists some physician said is the law is utterly worthless.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-09-21, 10:23 AM

Are you in the USA? Regardless of what your friend insists, I doubt it. Post the statute, name the state...your word about what your “friend” insists some physician said is the law is utterly worthless.
Whatever. Go back to sleep.
Old 01-09-21, 10:38 AM

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well that is an entirely different point than the one I was addressing.

But since you bring up the legal ramification of dying while drunk, do please explain what you are talking about.
Sorry, guess I should have posted separate posts for the two different ideas I was trying to convey.

You said to be "careful of the conclusions drawn. I think there are confounding factors". To that I said it really isn't that hard to figure out what the statistics are saying.

As for the legal ramifications of being declared drunk, even in an accident that you feel isn't your fault, seems pretty self explanatory to me. If you don't agree there is any that is fine, I won't argue the point with you, but please what ever you do don't test the theory.

Anyway this thread is over, no sense in anyone coming back.
Old 01-09-21, 11:04 AM
Thread Killer

Whatever. Go back to sleep.
that’s what I thought...
Old 01-09-21, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that in some states you can get a DUI even if you're driving on your own property. Of course it will vary from state to state. Here traffic laws do not apply on private property at all, but DUI laws are an exception since the way the law is written, operating a motor vehicle anywhere, on public roads or on private property is illegal. I know someone who got a DUI just sitting in his car in a parking lot after a night at the bar with the motor running trying to stay warm. Even though he wasn't driving, the law is against "operating" a motor vehicle while intoxicated, and "operating" is legally defined as turning on the ignition. So yeah, depending on where you are and what the situation is, you can get a DUI on private property.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 01-09-21 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-09-21, 12:04 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that in some states you can get a DUI even if you're driving on your own property. Of course it will vary from state to state. Here traffic laws do not apply on private property at all, but DUI laws are an exception since the way the law is written, operating a motor vehicle anywhere, on public roads or on private property is illegal. I know someone who got a DUI just sitting in his car in a parking lot after a night at the bar with the motor running trying to stay warm. Even though he wasn't driving, the law is against "operating" a motor vehicle while intoxicated, and "operating" is legally defined as turning on the ignition. So yeah, depending on where you are and what the situation is, you can get a DUI on private property.
My claim was specified as one’s own home, a private residential property, which is different than private commercial property. Big difference.
Old 01-09-21, 03:53 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I was curious, too. NY, from the looks of it.
Old 01-09-21, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My claim was specified as one’s own home, a private residential property, which is different than private commercial property. Big difference.
Actually, it's not. If you're driving drunk on your own property, you can be arrested. Of course, it's not like a cop will have probable cause to come onto your property and give you a field sobriety test if you're out on the north 40, but legally it could happen. But it's not like a cop is going to give you a breathalyzer if you're just pulling your motorcycle into the garage.
Old 01-09-21, 10:15 PM

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Not for me. One of the great joys of giving up booze completely has been the discovery of cycling. I’ve ridden in Belgium, Greece, Austria, Czechia, and all over the American Southwest. Why would I want to take a chance of screwing that up?
Old 01-09-21, 10:34 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Actually, it's not. If you're driving drunk on your own property, you can be arrested. Of course, it's not like a cop will have probable cause to come onto your property and give you a field sobriety test if you're out on the north 40, but legally it could happen. But it's not like a cop is going to give you a breathalyzer if you're just pulling your motorcycle into the garage.
well, my point is that it is, and you’ve provided no evidence to the contrary.
Old 01-09-21, 11:50 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
When I was a freshman in college I worked at a car garage and commuted by bike. We'd play poker afterwards, and I rode home snockered several times, and I remember wrecking a couple of times, but nothing serious.

The only time I did peyote I rode about 35 miles. That included about an hour on our university track at sunrise. It was really cool, every time I completed a lap heading east the sun would be a bit higher each lap. Before that I cruised all over downtown, and that was also cool because of absolutely no traffic.
Old 01-10-21, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
I rode around a bit of Europe way back when, my first full day in London I met an amiable Irishman who took it on himself to educate me in the proper method of drinking stout. Being a slow learner, it some time and quite a few stouts and ciders, then I had to ride maybe 15 miles to where I was staying, in the rain , on the wrong side of the road 😲
Likes For Goofball:
Old 01-10-21, 12:41 AM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
When I was a freshman in college I worked at a car garage and commuted by bike. We'd play poker afterwards, and I rode home snockered several times, and I remember wrecking a couple of times, but nothing serious.

The only time I did peyote I rode about 35 miles. That included about an hour on our university track at sunrise. It was really cool, every time I completed a lap heading east the sun would be a bit higher each lap. Before that I cruised all over downtown, and that was also cool because of absolutely no traffic.
The cinders at IU?
Old 01-11-21, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Until quite recently, I lived at the Jersey Shore. Having a "barcycle" is definitely a thing. A good thing.
Old 01-11-21, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Actually, in some states you can get a DUI when operating a vehicle on private property:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-property.html

My home state of PA is one of them.
Old 01-11-21, 02:24 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actually, in some states you can get a DUI when operating a vehicle on private property:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-property.html

My home state of PA is one of them.
Ok, thanks. That’s some tyrannical-assed sh*t. Gotta keep those wild Mennonites in check, I guess.

Last edited by chaadster; 01-11-21 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Ok, thanks. That’s some tyrannical-assed sh*t. Gotta keep those wild Mennonites in check, I guess.
Nope. Wild Pennsyltuckyians. Unfamiliar with the famous quote?
Old 01-11-21, 03:19 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Nope. Wild Pennsyltuckyians. Unfamiliar with the famous quote?
I would have thought that was an obvious joke, about wild Mennonites. Anyway, what quote are you referring to?
Old 01-11-21, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
YouTube was buying

I wangled a VIP invitation to a presidential primary debate years ago that was hosted by YouTube and CNN. This was an "it's all who you know" thing. It included an invitation to a nice after party. My friend and I locked up our bikes at the after party and went it. I was fine until about the time I should have gone home, when I discovered there was a room where they were serving martinis with plastic glowing "ice cubes" in four colors. Of course, I had to "collect them all..." It wasn't a long ride home, maybe two miles, and mostly residential, but I remember having to concentrate to miss the parked cars on either side of the street. My wife put me to bed. The next morning I found about a dozen "CNN" caps in the alley behind my house. I don't remember lifting those.
Likes For catlips:
Old 01-11-21, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Never.
Of course, I don't drink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.