Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting Soft

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting Soft

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 06:32 AM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Getting slower with age is expected, and even to be embraced as yet another challenge. But this... basically I feel like I've gotten mentally soft, and that is creating an existential crisis.
Not sure if any cheer leading will do much good. Anyone that's ever gone the distance - whether its 26.2 miles or 29,000 feet - ultimately asks themselves why? And whatever answer they discover in themselves has little to do with what others think.

Surely you have enough experience to know why age and circumstance brings limitations. But you also have the wisdom to know that it is when you give your brevets your fullest measure - your accomplishment has the most meaning and satisfaction.
Old 04-28-20, 06:36 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
"Anyone that's ever gone the distance - whether its 26.2 miles or 29,000 feet - ultimately asks themselves why? And whatever answer they discover in themselves has little to do with what others think."

I read sentence this in Phil Ligget's voice. Sounds a bit like one of his intros.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-28-20, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a wake-up call.
Old 04-28-20, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You need to stop competing with yourself and others and get out and just enjoy the ride.
A day standing is a good day!
Old 04-28-20, 03:41 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Getting Soft

At 77 I suffer with needing a lot more recovery; being too competitive has served me well for 40 years. I make myself ride with guys in their late 50's on Sat. and Sunday. I do have trouble staying on the group on quarter mile 8-10% hills and flats when they get to 28 - 30 mph. I now train with a power meter and recently started using training Peaks in hopes of increasing VO2 max and Functional threshold Power. I'm retired and cycling and grandchildren are my life.
Old 05-01-20, 06:20 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger6255
Top Dragster and I bracket race.
Nowhere near as quick/fast, but I still like to accelerate. 30+ years ago, I had a mild 396 BBC in a '74 Camaro, best of 11.31 @ 119.5.

Pic before getting back-halfed:

Now I have a four-door land yacht grandpa car, that is nearly as fast and street legal... I dial 12.0 to stay in my class...

I'm staying slower than 11.5 because I don't want to be required to put a cage in it. Contingency stickers are on sheet magnet, and stored in the trunk. Sleepers can be fun, too!
Likes For Cougrrcj: