Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Might WD-40 hurt tires?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Might WD-40 hurt tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 04:23 PM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
WD-40 ... tires might get some overspray.
Spray it on a rag or paper towel first. Keep it away from the rubber.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-07-22, 08:26 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Never use spray stuff on a bike (unless it is a raw frame and using Spray.Bike paint than I guess it is fine) spray on a rag or towel or something and then go on the frame with the rag. There will inevitably be a time when you are tired or just carless and get whatever random chemicals you are spraying onto braking surfaces and such maybe not intentionally but it will happen best to avoid it all together.

I did use to put Pedro's Bike Lust on my tires sometimes when cleaning up my old Langster, it never seemed to do damage and I never had slippage issues but I don't really do it these days.
Old 03-07-22, 11:47 PM

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
This.

I had a guy wipe down some machinery once with WD40 and he specifically called me back to the shop to show me what he did because he was so proud. The next day he wasn't so full of pride.

Besides this, your bike will smell like WD40 too.

So tell us what the WD40 did to his machinery.
Old 03-08-22, 12:01 AM

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
I used WD-40 on my cast iron table saw top once. It didn't do a good job of preventing rust. It is good to use when scrubbing the rust off. Paste wax, car wax, and other specialty products(mostly wax with other stuff added to make it smell bad\nice) does a much better job.
BTW ever used latex paint on iron\steel with out a primer? The water in the paint will cause the metal to rust under the paint. It's not pretty.

Good point about using paste wax on table saw tops. I use paste wax on my cast iron table saw top and it prevents rusting plus the boards slide across nicely.
Old 03-08-22, 05:22 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
So tell us what the WD40 did to his machinery.
Nothing physically harmful. But it made them huge, moving dust magnets. These were on automatic guided vehicles (AGVs). As they drove into the warehouse they gathered dust which was transferred to people's clothes in a smelly, sticky mess when they came in contact with them. I imagine a bicycle with a coat of WD on it will accumulate the same gobs of gunk around the BB, down-tube, chain stays and dropout areas.