Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many of you older guys had a Stingray as a kid?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How many of you older guys had a Stingray as a kid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 05:14 AM

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 407 Posts
Another upstate kid in a "delicate pecuniary position" in the late '50s, a character building allowance and not yet mowing lawns. My brother (became a career cardiologist) and I obtained a 20" bike - a who knows what but probably a Hawthorne. Spray bombed it black and installed the riser handle bars and banana seat. Like others, treated it like a mountain bike. Of course there were no mountain bikes but we lived near the end of civilization and it was nothing but dirt roads, dirt piles and homes under construction after that. Great fun on a bicycle you built yourself and just knew you could repair if n when needed.
Old 12-09-20, 05:53 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,320 Times in 1,122 Posts
One of my best friends across the street had a bike with a slick on the back and the stick shifter on the top tube. I don't recall if it was Schwinn or Montgomery Ward type knockoff, but I know his parents wouldn't allow any of the rest of us to ride it.

Mine was even lower end than a department store knock off. My bike was an old, heavy bike from probably the 50s that a local guy who flipped bikes added a banana seat and high rise handlebars to and painted with a brush. I appreciate that my parents who grew up during the depression could provide that bike for me, but I was always that far behind my friend across the street and had that little bit of jealousy I should be ashamed of.
Old 12-09-20, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,303 Times in 1,288 Posts
I cobbled together a Sting Ray out of an old Murray bike with twenty inch wheels that I bought at a yard sale with my lawn mowing money. I then found an authentic Schwinn banana seat and some hi rise handlebars . That was the best bike ever and then I got a paper route after subbing for a friend. Many miles in and out of the “hood” in North Oxnard in the sixties tossing papers. I liked the red paint job my Murray had and I also liked that it was different than most of the other Shcwinns that my friends had. We were poor and I felt so well off that I had a bike.
Old 12-09-20, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I knew I had to have a Schwinn Stingray in the late 60's and my parents bought one for me sometime around '68. It was a red Apple Crate (they all were red!) with a five speed shifter. I loved that bike and rode the wheels off of it. I would pretend I was driving a car and I had to have all the car-like features such as a speedometer and directional signal lights. The signal lights consisted of a left and right arrow that hung off the back of the bike with a switch on the handlebars allowing to select left or right. Once I was about 14 I outgrew the bike and by then 10 speeds had become the rage. I ended up with a Raleigh Record and my older brother got a little better version in the Raleigh Grand Prix. After that I don't remember what happened to the Apple Crate but I guess my parents gave it away.

When the reproduction Crates were made available again in the early 2000's I bought a few that I still have today. One is an Apple Crate but I also bought a reproduction Pea Picker and a reproduction Gray Ghost. The Gray Ghost is a 5 speed (grip shifter) and the Apple Crate and Pea Picker are 1 speeds.
Old 12-09-20, 06:57 AM
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Most of the kids on my street had some version of a banana seat bike with big handlebars.
mine was a garage sale find that I painted red. Put a sissy bar on and rode to death.
You guys are about to get me in trouble. I have a girls 1970s collegiate frame in the attic. I am sorely tempted to get a brush and a can of red rustoleum, look for a banana seat and ape hanger bars and build it up for riding up and down the street.
I will be the coolest kid on the block, at least until the first big wipeout, and then I’ll go back to just being the crazy old man who lives at the end of the street, laying in a mud puddle, laughing at himself, because he forgot he wasn’t in sixth grade any more.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 12-09-20, 08:15 AM
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 530 Posts
I had an old Sears 27" bike of some sort that I used for delivering papers with my brother and we wore them out. I wanted a Stingray chopper and could not afford it so I spent $23 on Sear's basic copy with a banana boat seat and high bars and it was a coaster brake only.. I wanted the chopper so I took the fork from the 27" bike and put it on the 20" bike, It gave me a rise of about 3". enough for me. I also put knobby tires both front and rear. I rode that bike everywhere.

This is as close as I need to be to feel similar to it.
Old 12-09-20, 08:24 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-09-20, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,040 Times in 1,878 Posts
No hi-risers bicycles in my life. other than the ones I built and repaired for customers at the LBS.
Old 12-09-20, 08:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,797 Posts
My brother and I each had a mid 60's Sting Ray Deluxe. Both were Coppertone with chrome fenders. Our parents bought them used for us. Fun bikes.

Old 12-09-20, 09:08 AM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
I had a blue Schwinn Stingray 2-speed with high bars, a 3 foot high sissy bar and slicks. Man I loved that bike! It got stolen when my sister took it to the library and didn't lock it. That was back in the 1969-1970 time frame.

My best friend had a Stingray also and we used to "lay patches" on the school's playground after school. There was always a puddle of water in one spot so we'd roll over that and lay on the brake. Good times!
Old 12-09-20, 09:22 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Dad converted my first bike into a 'stingray' with aftermarket high rise bars and a banana seat/sissy bar. A few years later I got an actual Schwinn Stingray with the 5 speed Stik Shift in bright red. I enjoyed it for a few years but had to trade it in to help pay for my first road bike. It was still so clean and mint that the Raleigh bike shop manager rolled it right into place on the showroom floor as is. I wish I still had it!
Old 12-09-20, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I had a muscle bike, but I cannot remember which brand. It was orange metallic with a silver banana seat and sissy bar. This is the era when you didn't ask your parents to drive you places, so I rode it everywhere. It was my transport to school, friends and shopping. Also notable, I was doing a wheelie on it and hit a bump causing me to fall off. Broke my left arm. Bike was unharmed.
Old 12-09-20, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
No, all the cool kids had Sting-Rays. Me? Mom bought me a Speedster, probably 24" model or something. Maybe because she bought it at a real bike store, in a town with a velodrome? I soon found out, thought, that this bike was faster than the Sting-Rays, so I am grateful for that. Rode it until I got hit by a car. The new bike had five speeds! I was a little too old for a Sting-Ray by that time.
Old 12-09-20, 10:43 AM
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I had a Ross Barracuda 3 speed top tube shifter. It was semi-badass. Purple. We bought it in a department store don't remember which one, about 1968.

I really beat on that bike, mainly curbs. Most things I took good care of but I really abused this bike. The brackets that the low sissy bar attached to the frame held the bar by friction, it didn't have holes with pins to keep the bar from sliding down, So I was always adjusting the bar and they became bent from hitting the ground. My neighbor gave me an old one that attached to the axle. The bike wheels and stem acquired quite a bit of rust as I remember.

I had it when I started my paper route two years later, but needed something a bit better so after about 6 months on the route, I bought a Raleigh 3 speed. Once I got the Raleigh I never rode my Ross again. Compared to the Raleigh it was quite a bit of work to spin the Ross. I don't remember what I did with it probably set it to the curb, it was not in good shape.

Last edited by Thomas15; 12-09-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-09-20, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
I had a lime green Western Auto knockoff with a 3 speed stick shifter. I thought it was cool. Went from that to a Varsity. Still not sure that was an upgrade.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 12-09-20, 11:03 AM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
My brother got a CCM mustang marauder for his birthday - I think it was in 1968.
On his first ride, he went down a big hill and had a gnarly wipeout that put him off riding that thing ever again.
I rode it quite a bit, but just to practice wheelies.
Old 12-09-20, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
My brother and I got matching Sears 24" Spyders exactly like the one below for Christmas when I was about 14. We thought they were motocross bikes and rode the heck out of them. We broke pedals, cranks, stems and handlebars, bent wheels beyond truing, and my brother eventually broke his frame. Dad took it back to Sears (satisfaction guaranteed!) and they sent it out to have the frame brazed. I don't remember what happened to them but we either gave them away or junked them.

SPYDER! That's the first bike I bought with my own paper route money. It was blue. It was almost immediately stolen. Grew up riding hand me down cobbled together beaters until a Murray Wildcat was bought just for me. It was almost immediately stolen. Back to cobbled together beaters until I bought that Spyder. Then back to cobbled together beaters until a minimum wage job made me a young man of means allowing me to buy my first Schwinn Varsity. No more stolen bikes after that. I was much more careful.
Old 12-09-20, 11:38 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
If I remember right, my bike was a GT Torino, and I don't know if that is the same GT bike company we have today. The front tire had a round profile, and the rear tire was wider and had a square profile. The rear hub was a Sturmey-Archer AW, and I had a giant stick shift on the top tube. I rode it in the playground behind my apartment building. The gears went out on me once, and an older kid adjusted the cable tension for me while I watched. Somehow I learned from that, and I can currently adjust an AW by sound and feel with my eyes closed. Someone bought me two rear view mirrors, and we attached each one to one side of the handlebar. It also had an electric buzzer horn with a button under my thumb. I also rode the bike around Central Park in NYC, as I lived only a block and a half away.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-09-20, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 198 Posts
Nope. I had to ride my brother's. I don't think he has forgiven me yet - since he was my little brother by three years, I tended to just help myself when I wanted to use it.
Old 12-09-20, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 127 Posts
Back in about 66 or 67, I remember my father taking me to the lbs, which is still in business today, and letting me choose between a Stingray or a copoertone Junior Stingray. I chose the Junior Stingray because it fit me better at the time, and I liked the color. Shortly afterwards I wished I went with the regular Stingray but I still loved my first bike, and rode it for about 6 years until my parents bought me a Gitane 10 speed. I think my mom sold them both at a garage sale and made me start buying my own bikes.
Old 12-09-20, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
These are so weird. 24 inch fork on a 16 inch wheel in a 20 in beach cruiser frame fitted for a tween.

By my childhood it was all BMX and anything with a banana seat was a girl’s bike.
Man same.

My first bike however my dad brought home was a rainbow paint banana seat bike. the seat I still remember had a cowboy like riding a rainbow. I am pretty sure it was a sears free spirit also fairly sure it was a closeout. lol I know my dad was super into the style and was like man its cool, I also know that I was showing the disappointment in that bike. I rode that thing for years though, It ended up with a flat black paint job, a seat and handle bars off a BMX. I tore that thing apart a million times to "fix" it.
Old 12-09-20, 12:56 PM

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 242 Posts
I never did but a couple neighbor kids did. One had a Pea Picker and one had a Ramshorn. I had my $22 Hawthorne.
Old 12-09-20, 01:09 PM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
My first bike was a Sears Spyder 3-speed, fully-chromed and fitted with a big honkin' stick shift operating a Shimano 3-speed gearhub. My dad was choir director for the establishment Methodist church in Rocky Mount, VA, and an older kid who had outgrown his bike just gave it to me. This was how I learned that NO ONE in my family knew jack about bikes. The rear brake was rusted shut into its housing, the front brake worked a little bit, and the only gear that worked was high. At 46 pounds, it was a pretty heavy bike for scrawny little me. I walked it a lot. The bike that followed was a $50 Ben Franklin's special, a West German "Brownie" that was probably a Kalkhoff product.

Edit: The photo is NOT mine, but one found on the 'net.

Last edited by rustystrings61; 12-09-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 01:13 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3016 Post(s)
Liked 3,812 Times in 1,412 Posts
I wish.

I was relegated to my sister's Bantam. I added money bars and a banana seat to fake it.
Old 12-09-20, 01:21 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
A few months ago there was a spy-or-leak photo published of a new Surly that apparently had a 29er rear and 26er front

https://forums.mtbr.com/surly/surly-...r-1154577.html

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-09-20 at 01:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.