Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Want to dabble in gravel riding but not get a second set of wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Want to dabble in gravel riding but not get a second set of wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 09:41 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have ridden gravel roads around me with 28mm tires, 32mm tires, 38mm tires, 40mm tires, and 43mm tires.
Ill give you a hint as to which I like most- its the odd numbered tire.

That isnt based on marketing, its actual experience. I can ride faster, more confidently, and more enjoyably when I have a quality and light wide tubeless slick with lower pressure.
Everyone is different and gravel is different depending on location. If someone finds a 28mm tire to be perfect, its their body- cool if they use that for their gravel. It isnt buying into BS marketing if you prefer some gear that is designed to excel in one area of cycling.

I will absolutely say that sometimes the marketing is just laughably BS- a gravel helmet that looks the same as a brand's road helmet? A gravel jersey that looks the same as a brand's road jersey? But that is pretty easy to push thru and ignore.
Yeah there's always someone who has to chime in iT's JuSt MaRkEtInG and I'd bet $32.97 that person has never ridden midwest gravel. I mean, I know a guy who rode the DK on 28s and he'll tell you straight up it was stupid.

But rail trails? Yeah ride whatever.