Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

How can I convince my parents to let me buy a folding bike?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 11:26 PM
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am currently planning my transition to high school and will not be able to have the person who takes me home on my lazy days drive me home. My house is only gonna be like 1.2 miles from the school and the way back is mostly downhill. I originally thought to get a Kickped scooter, however the one I found on eBay was bid up to almost the original price, so I passed on that. My current plan now is to buy a folding bike, put it in my mom's car in the morning and ride home on it.(Normal rides will be done on my mountain and road bike) However, my father keeps arguing, saying that it's a dumb idea and we should install a hitch on my mom's car and attach a rack that we would buy. He claims there's no where to store it, but for most of the week it'll be in the car and I could probably put it in my bedroom. Also, he cites a social aspect about people making jokes about it, which I don't really care about and may actually like as I like to joke around. Any ideas on how to convince him?
Old 04-24-18, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this but I like your dad's idea.
Old 04-25-18, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think you'll need to come up with some additional uses where a folding bike would be the best approach. Otherwise you're unlikely to persuade your dad that you can't use one of your existing bikes. Even without a rack, it's not that hard to pop the wheels off and put a regular bike in the trunk. But a decent rack would make it still easier.
Old 04-25-18, 12:15 AM
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I think you'll need to come up with some additional uses where a folding bike would be the best approach. Otherwise you're unlikely to persuade your dad that you can't use one of your existing bikes. Even without a rack, it's not that hard to pop the wheels off and put a regular bike in the trunk. But a decent rack would make it still easier.
Yeah I had ideas of taking the bike on trips and using it to kill time during my sister's soccer tournament. I do go to Mexico City during my breaks and they have a special day where cyclists rule the roads. The school is walking distance, but I dislike walking as it's slow and the school bus doesn't go to my area (the public transportation in the US is also bad so no public busses).
Old 04-25-18, 12:17 AM
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stax
You probably don't want to hear this but I like your dad's idea.
Yeah, I just feel as if that I might as well ride there if I'll take my bike. It's walking distance, but I don't like walking as it's slow. Just want a push that isn't too much effort.
Old 04-25-18, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
The rack is going to be a nuisance on the car most of the time, and it takes time to get the bike on there correctly. A folder is much simpler and faster to use, plus WAY easier to carry to your room.
Old 04-25-18, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Romyan
Yeah, I just feel as if that I might as well ride there if I'll take my bike. It's walking distance, but I don't like walking as it's slow. Just want a push that isn't too much effort.
If I was your dad I'd apply the same reasoning to taking a folding bike. I don't blame you for wanting a folding bike, I want one myself, but the use case isn't convincing.

Using the rack isn't that much trouble - I do it when my son wants a ride back for some reason from the university, his p/t job or whatever, and mine's a strap-on that I take off in between. A hitch-mount rack is really a pretty good offer on his part, more expensive but sturdier and no extra trouble to use.
Old 04-25-18, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's only a mile - get a skateboard or a scooter. Are you asking your parents to pay for the folding bike which you will ride one mile? If so, you haven't got a very good case. Earn some money working in your neighborhood and buy one yourself off craigslist (since you have other bikes, I am assuming you can do basic maintenance). Have you actually ridden a folding bike? Many of them don't ride all that well so you may find yourself disappointed compared to your other bikes - and the ones that do ride well are not cheap. Kick scooters are cheap, get one and use it and if you really dislike it, then save up for a folding bike.
Old 04-25-18, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My house is only gonna be like 1.2 miles from the school
What the hell? Walk.
Old 04-25-18, 11:10 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Or raise your own money and buy the bike on your own.. get a very good lock .. bikes get stolen at schools..
Old 04-25-18, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kidshibuya
What the hell? Walk.
+1 Its only a mile, and downhill on the way home.

If you go by bike you wont be able to take it into the class room, you’ll have to find somewhere safe to lock it up, and folders are always especially vunerable to theft. No need to lock your feet up, just take them with you.
Old 04-25-18, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...father keeps arguing, saying that it's a dumb idea and we should install a hitch on my mom's car and attach a rack that we would buy...
Money is not mentioned. What is the price of installing a hitch and buying a rack? If your father is worryed about the social aspect I bet he is not going to buy the cheapest rack. Around here installing a hitch is £100 to £150. You can buy many folding bikes for the same money.

Also, he cites a social aspect about people making jokes ...
That would be your problem and not his I would think, unless he is very insecure...

Any ideas on how to convince him?
The above, the money saved on buying a second hand folder?

What about riding a full size bike to scool and the same bike home again in the afternoon?
Old 04-25-18, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Tell your father that your Mother thinks its a great idea.

Tell your mother that your Father thinks its a great idea.

(Thats what MY kids used to do!)
Old 04-25-18, 11:29 PM
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kidshibuya
What the hell? Walk.
I have no clue why, but I don't like walking. Feels too slow
Old 04-25-18, 11:30 PM
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Or raise your own money and buy the bike on your own.. get a very good lock .. bikes get stolen at schools..
I'd buy the bike with my own money, parents would help a bit as this is replacing the person who picks me up from school and drives me home.
Old 04-25-18, 11:40 PM
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
Money is not mentioned. What is the price of installing a hitch and buying a rack? If your father is worryed about the social aspect I bet he is not going to buy the cheapest rack. Around here installing a hitch is £100 to £150. You can buy many folding bikes for the same money.
It's cheaper to do the rack idea, like a $180 total. However I feel as if it's a bit too much of a hastle. Already have chaotic mornings, so don't wanna add the process of putting the bike on the rack. The social aspect is probably just my dad worrying about me being made fun about for riding a tiny bike, I would just find it funny myself, I like joking around at school anyway. For the rack, my dad would pay for it completely, for the folding bike I'd have to shell in some cash, but I like the folding bike idea. I found one online for a great deal aswell.
Old 04-25-18, 11:46 PM
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
+1 Its only a mile, and downhill on the way home.

If you go by bike you wont be able to take it into the class room, you’ll have to find somewhere safe to lock it up, and folders are always especially vunerable to theft. No need to lock your feet up, just take them with you.
Where I live, the schools are with outdoor hallway's, so quickly looking at my bike during lunch isn't a hastle, my current school has alot of bike racks and I've heard that it's similar. However, I see your point on locking it being a hazard, I do have 2 u locks and a cable lock. I've already ridden 6 miles round-trip to my current school various times.
Old 04-26-18, 03:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found one online for a great deal aswell.
Give us a link to help you judge if it is a great deal or just a BSO (bike shaped object).

The best deals are quality bikes that has a history as garage queens as in sitting in somebodys garage for many years. if you get hold of one lubing and adjusting is something you must do, maybe some new wires and you could get a good result.

How do you plan on carrying luggage?
Old 04-26-18, 03:15 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Tell your father that your Mother thinks its a great idea.

Tell your mother that your Father thinks its a great idea.

(Thats what MY kids used to do!)
This is actually the best suggestion so far

This is what my mother used to do "(your sisters and brother all agree so now it is up to you...")
Old 04-26-18, 07:43 AM

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I didn't need a folding bike either but I wanted one. Every bike owner knows that the number of bikes you want in your life is n+1. So ask the folks if you make enough money can you buy what you want. Good luck!
Old 04-26-18, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I'd buy the bike with my own money, parents would help a bit as this is replacing the person who picks me up from school and drives me home.

It's one mile and you have someone who drives you home? Jeez, in my day we walked 10 miles through the snow, barefoot.
Old 04-26-18, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 245 Posts
My wife makes me walk 6 miles to dinner. Your a kid, you should have plenty of energy to walk 1.2 miles! I know, you just don't like walking, so the folding bike is a logical solution. Consider too that many folding bikes can be packed into a suitcase for your trips to Mexico City.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150712_193700.jpg (789.0 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-26-18, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Your father is a smart guy.

There's also an argument for getting a job around the neighborhood this summer and making enough money to buy the bike yourself. Not only will that get you what you want, but you'll earn the respect and admiration of your parents and peers.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-26-18, 11:39 AM
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
It's one mile and you have someone who drives you home? Jeez, in my day we walked 10 miles through the snow, barefoot.
Won't be driven anymore, I realize I probably sound pretentious when I say I don't want to walk haha.
Old 04-26-18, 11:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought several folding bikes for my son (and for me). Especially his Mini Cooper folder is his favourite and it is the bike he picks over any other bike (I would guess he has got at least ten bikes).

My guess is that if you hate walking you`ll walk as little as possible. If you get a bike you love (one that is easy to take on a trip) you may get much more exercise than without the bike...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.