Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

That time has come.....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

That time has come.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That time has come.....

Some of you may remember I talked about a really bad dog problem that I'm having. There is a house that I pass when I'm on my way to work that has 7 very aggressive dogs. They come after me all the time. Yesterday on my way to work they all came after me and I almost got creamed by a car trying to get away from them. This is in a rural area, not in the city. So keep that in mind. I made contact with the police chief about the situation (this is not in the police dept's jurisdiction) because the chief knows the owner really well. I asked the chief to make contact with him and see about resolving the situation. She did and the guy said there not his dogs. But all the dogs have collars on them and there at his house everyday. I was trying to do the rite thing and take care of it without problems. Well yesterday afternoon broke the ice. I've had enough. I have a concealed weapons permit and it has gotten to that point. I made contact with a friend of mine who works at the sheriffs office and he was telling me that in our parish, animals are not to roam free. And if the dogs come out to the road and attack me that I have the rite to protect myself by opening fire. And that my friends is what's gonna happen. I tried to do this the rite way but I don't know what else to do. Legally the guy can't come after me for doing this because he didnt restrain his animals and I was trying to protect myself. Would y'all take it this far?
Old 05-01-13, 09:29 PM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
No. I'd consider moving though.
Old 05-01-13, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
No. I'd consider moving though.
You have got to be kidding me?
Old 05-01-13, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worked really hard to buy the two acres of land that I own and my house to just pick up and sell it because a loser won't take care of a dog problem. Sorry man, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard.
Old 05-01-13, 09:43 PM
Super-spreader

OK, maybe a little extreme. Sorry.

I can't imagine having 7 dogs chasing and snapping at me. Is poisoned meat legal for self defense?
Old 05-01-13, 09:48 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Sucks that it's gotten this far, but it sounds like no one wants to take responsibility, so I think you're in the right.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-01-13, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you spoken with the owner yet? You might get some cooperation if you show up with a cold beer and handshake, and describe your problem. If not, you get to give him notice.

Is the issue past using Bear Spray instead of a gun? I am a decent pistol shot, but shooting at dogs that are trying to bite me would be a challenge.
Old 05-01-13, 10:03 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not a LEO or an attorney, so I'm not even gonna try and address the legalities.

However, I do have a question or two. First, do you encounter the dogs daily? If so, then perhaps see if you can have one of the LEOs that have jurisdiction to find a parking spot a few minutes before you ride past that property so that s/he can observe. Or just call animal control.
Old 05-01-13, 10:09 PM
Mmm hm!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-01-13, 10:12 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pepper spray or similar? Shooting a dog for being a dog doesnt seem right ..
Old 05-01-13, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey dude.

Try to avoid killing the dumb animals is my advice.

Consider buying one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/...t-whistle.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...346349863.html

If this works then your problem will be solved eh?
Old 05-01-13, 10:22 PM
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
And if the dogs come out to the road and attack me that I have the rite to protect myself by opening fire. And that my friends is what's gonna happen.
Absolutely. If they come out and attack you, you have the right to protect yourself by pumping those uncontrolled, dangerous mutts full of lead.

Last edited by no1mad; 05-01-13 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-01-13, 10:36 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not shoot the dogs! Don't talk to anyone about disposing of the dogs. Say no more. Do not express your feelings about the dogs to anyone anymore.
It's time for operation "black ops"...Wait about three weeks to begin.
Perhaps if you drive by and feed them at night, they won't bother you anymore. Pay your respects just about every three weeks or so, until they finally get the message.

All dogs just love vitamin enriched hamburger!

Last edited by Cfiber; 05-02-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-01-13, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Seven dogs? The guy has SEVEN dogs? If he's not a breeder, then there's something else going on here. If you have to protect yourself, you have to protect yourself. An uncontrolled dog can seriously injure you. Seven, aggressive dogs can be fatal, or even worse, cripple you for life. While I am an animal lover, that does not excuse wanton, irresponsible behavior. Of course, you cannot be frivolous about using force, but too often, people assume that "gentle or restrained" approaches will be equally effective. Be aware of the consequences though - legal and otherwise - and that goes for the owner of the dogs. I suspect that the owner of SEVEN dogs might be prone to some random behavior too...
Old 05-01-13, 10:59 PM

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So your choices are;

Option 1. Use the dogs as an excuse to do a fast sprint and get a quick boost in your work out. This is the option you've chosen everyday so far. Look at how beautiful your life is and all of your accomplishment and move on.

Option 2. Gun down the dogs! The likely results of choosing this option include;

1. A long and expensive legal battle with the owner of the dogs.

2. After your first shot, you enrage the rest of the pack (you said 7 dogs), who then maul you to death.

3. You enrage Bubba who owns the dogs, who then turns his shotgun on you.

4. You are arrested for animal cruelty, destruction of private property and trespassing. (No one ever sides with the cyclists, remember?)

5. You get away, at first. But then Bubba tracks you down and goes all "deliverance" on you.

Take your pick of option one or two.
Old 05-01-13, 11:03 PM
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP has every right to blast wild beasts that are actually eating his legs.
Old 05-01-13, 11:05 PM
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by nashvillwill
You enrage Bubba who owns the dogs, who then turns his shotgun on you.
That seems the most likely outcome.
Old 05-01-13, 11:09 PM
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-02-13, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashvillwillYou enrage Bubba who owns the dogs, who then turns his shotgun on you.

+1

Don't get caught up with the persistent gun owners fantasy that you will be the only person involved who is armed, or that at your first shot everyone else immediately subscribe to your self assigned sense of might and give up and cower. The dogs will likely run away, but there may be return fire from the owner. He sounds like the sort of arse who would.

--

Do the dogs chase you because you're on a bike? Perhaps you can walk your bike past the offender's house? If other people can safely walk past then maybe this would work.

Is it possible to get the police chief to accompany you one morning (walking or perhaps at a distance in his patrol car)? If he can see the dogs come out of the yard then it cancels out the convenient lie that "they're not my dogs".

I would love to hear the chief say "I see sir, if they are not your dogs then it will be fine for me to bring in a dog catcher and remove them"

I find it easy to imagine that the police would rather just ignore the whole problem as that's the easiest thing to do. In the past I've had success at provoking action from officialdom by putting them in fear of getting into trouble at work - put your concern in writing and cc his superior. He will fear that if you do end up in court he will be exposed as failing to deal with a problem he clearly knew about.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, and really hope you find a workaround.
Old 05-02-13, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have no problem capping the dogs too, if they are after me (well I don't have CHL now, but I used to when I was living in Texas). But, please, call animal control tomorrow, and report your issue before riding off that way. If that does not work, call your mayor...heck..call your congressman, even. But save the gun for last resort.
Consider the possibilities cited by others.

Also, what if the bullet you fired does not hit the dog and hit an innocent bystander instead? ' happens all the time here in Chicago (gang war).

Can you afford to use your car for a few days until this issue is fixed?

Anyway, I hope for the best outcome on your situation.
Old 05-02-13, 12:52 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfiber
Do not shoot the dogs! Don't talk to anyone about disposing of the dogs. Say no more. Do not express your feelings about the dogs to anyone anymore.
It's time for operation "black ops"...Wait about three weeks to begin.
Perhaps if you drive by and feed them at night, they won't bother you anymore. Pay your respects just about every three weeks or so, until they finally get the message.

All dogs just love vitamin enriched hamburger!
This is the most realistic response.
Old 05-02-13, 01:43 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I sort of know the feeling. Back in my college days I worked full time during the summer. Neighbour 0.7 miles down the street had 2 dogs and every evening, as I came by, I'd get ready to sprint because I smelled like Chinese Take Out. And each night, I was successful at beating the dogs. But one evening, one of the dogs got ahead and in the middle of the road waiting for me. And the secondary attack on my flank had me nearly running and flying over the first dog ahead. Instead of pedalling hard, I braked. Got the frame pump and head it high and growled. I walked to the door while two dogs were yapping, and I banged on the door hard. Owner guy came to answer, and saw a big 6 ft 2inch 255lb dude breathing hard with helmet on and bike pump in hand. He was a bit fearful but he looked dumber than spit or stoned out of his mind. I told him that nightly his dogs roamed outside and to either leash them up or be liable for causing an accident. He mumbled something about yeah, he'd take care it. But he didn't. The next day, the dogs were again roaming the street.

I filed a complaint with local law enforcement. I told the dispatch lady that it was happening nightly, and I had already informed the owner, and the previous night, one of the dogs nearly caused a serious crash. I gave her the address, and description of the man who answered and told them he seemed stoned out of his mind, and I also politely asked if the police advised that I pack a knife or gun to defend myself should the dogs attack, since I was just a college kid trying to work during the summer and my bike was my primary transportation, and these dogs were endangering my life. And that actually was what I think triggered their response. She vehemently said, No. Don't. They would take care of this right away. And in fact, that night and ever after, the dogs were no where on the street.

Mind you, I lived in the suburbs, not a rural area. And it was only 2 dogs. Not 7. I wouldn't recommend getting off the bike with 7 aggressive dogs, especially if any of the breeds are killer breeds. Yes, some breeds instinctively kill, and if they were raised to be aggressive they can attack humans fatally, and it happens in the US every year. But a gun seems like a last resort. I might suggest you try and confront the home owner, but you need to get past the dogs. I might suggest you contact animal control and the sheriff, but how long and how many days would it take for them to respond? You might need to file multiple complaints over many days. But each time, you are putting your own life in jeopardy. I think packing might be your only solution if law enforcement doesn't respond. But it's risky. Give the sheriff and animal control a try first. See if they can help you first and give them a chance.
Old 05-02-13, 02:10 AM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried a few dog biscuits? take a few with you and toss them, it shouldn't be long before they warm up to you. Works for UPS drivers. : ) . . . cheaper than hamburgers. . .

I think the guy is an idiot and a jerk for letting his dogs run loose after someone notified him of the problem, but at the same time taking it out on the dogs with lethal force isn't exactly fair either. The most lethal thing I would use on a dog is pepper spray, and I don't see why lemon juice in a spray bottle wouldn't work just as well. . . I fear I'm taking my handlebar bag for granted with ease of access though.
Old 05-02-13, 02:26 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Consider using a Mace gun on as many of the first approaching dogs as you can. Then shoot any of the rest still coming towards you.

That proves you attempted to use minimal force but with so many vicious dogs, you had no choice but kill the ones that would not retreat.

Keeps the anti-gun BSers from the stance that pepper spray would work just fine.

It is likely you will end up keeping the dogs from eventually killing a kid.
Old 05-02-13, 04:54 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give 'em the green weenie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.