Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best climbing wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best climbing wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best climbing wheels?

My riding territory is composed mainly of moderate hills with few flats, so I'm generally either going up or down. Lots of climbing overall. I currently ride older Ksyrium SL's which are great for climbing, but I've already replaced my rear once due to the dreaded cracked eyelet area, and want to consider something new.

I've tried Zipp 202/303 Firecrests, and I honestly felt that the Kryriums still climbed better, although the ride quality of the Zipps was stellar overall. So purely for climbing and sprinting, what wheels do you guys think really stand out?
Old 07-25-13, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The wheels on the bike that has someone like Joe Dombrowski riding it.
Old 07-25-13, 08:07 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the new Tune wheels that were just announced on Fairwheels blog today are going to be the lightest badazz climbing wheels available once they hit the market...of course...they ain't gonna be cheap...

...turns out Froome was climbing with them, so....let's all go buy some performance...

https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/t...ts-sneak-peek/

Last edited by gc3; 07-25-13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C24 for me
Old 07-25-13, 08:37 PM

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
C24 for me
DA or Ultegra?
Old 07-25-13, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
DA or Ultegra?
DA of course
Old 07-25-13, 09:28 PM
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my enve's. Would love a set of those tunes!
Old 07-26-13, 02:41 AM

Bikes: "26" kona kula watt team carbon, "700c" colnago CLX, "700" colnago c59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic rsys
Old 07-26-13, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 152 Posts
Only climbing? Bouwmeester Hors Categorie wheels. Only 1030grams total front & rear together.

I have Mavic rsys also, very good wheels.
Old 07-26-13, 04:40 AM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hand-built Stan's Alpha ZTR 340 with Chris King R45 hubs, and some tubeless tires. Smooth, light (less than 1400 grams), and worry free. You can't be a Clyde tho.
Old 07-26-13, 04:41 AM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gilaasepeda
Mavic rsys
Have them... A bit harsh riding and clanky.
Old 07-26-13, 07:05 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by stilltooslow
I've tried Zipp 202/303 Firecrests, and I honestly felt that the Kryriums still climbed better, although the ride quality of the Zipps was stellar overall. So purely for climbing and sprinting, what wheels do you guys think really stand out?
To the extent a wheel makes a difference climbing, it's due to weight. The 202's a are going about a pound lighter than Kyserium SL's. (as well as more aero) The only reason that you might think the Kyseriums climb better is that they feel stiffer to you.

As for sprinting, Zipp 404's or even 808's. At 35-40mph, aerodynamics become way more signifcant than weight.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-26-13, 07:09 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by gilaasepeda
Mavic rsys
Let's see; heavy, expensive, aerodynamics of a brick, poor ride quality, and still prone to asplode post recall redesign.

Lots to like.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-26-13, 07:37 AM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
To the extent a wheel makes a difference climbing, it's due to weight. The 202's a are going about a pound lighter than Kyserium SL's. (as well as more aero) The only reason that you might think the Kyseriums climb better is that they feel stiffer to you.

As for sprinting, Zipp 404's or even 808's. At 35-40mph, aerodynamics become way more signifcant than weight.
Why ruin a perfectly good weight-wank thread with facts?
Old 07-26-13, 07:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless your races only go up hill it's slightly faster to have reasonably light but aero wheels rather than light non aero wheels. The aero wheels will be faster on the descents and flat to gradual climb parts of the race.

If you're not racing the difference is so small as to be not worth bothering about. Get some decent hand built aluminium clinchers.
Old 07-26-13, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why ruin a perfectly good weight-wank thread with facts?
Merlin did that in another thread recently. Only the 2nd post and he gave a clear concise answer .... thread never reached it's potential after that !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-13, 08:15 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Unless your races only go up hill it's slightly faster to have reasonably light but aero wheels rather than light non aero wheels. The aero wheels will be faster on the descents and flat to gradual climb parts of the race.

If you're not racing the difference is so small as to be not worth bothering about. Get some decent hand built aluminium clinchers.
I think you just out-Merlined Merlin. Spoil sport.
Old 07-26-13, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Madfibers.
Old 07-26-13, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by ericm979

Just how much faster? 1 %?
Old 07-26-13, 09:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not a straight percent. Aerodynamics becomes a larger portion of the forces opposing the rider as the rider goes faster.
As far as how much it is, you'll need to look up the aerodynamics of the wheels you're interested in.
Old 07-26-13, 10:19 AM

Ballpark estimate based on normal riding? Taking into consideration that our OP wants to climb, that implies a lot of descending, but that's also a small portion of the overall ride time. (I ask because I'm skeptical about whether aerodynamic wheels offer enough speed to justify their price for people who aren't racing.)
Old 07-26-13, 10:28 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though I don't race and have no intention of doing so, I'm very happy with the perceived increase in maintained speed I've gotten from 38mm deep quasi-aero wheels compared to C24s....although I'm sure it isn't all that much. But the deeper wheels are also lighter and more efficient at climbing....not to mention cheaper chinese carbon...

...point being, it's all relative, no?
Old 07-26-13, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Ballpark estimate based on normal riding? Taking into consideration that our OP wants to climb, that implies a lot of descending, but that's also a small portion of the overall ride time. (I ask because I'm skeptical about whether aerodynamic wheels offer enough speed to justify their price for people who aren't racing.)
If the OP isn't racing it doesn't really matter what kind of wheels he gets as long as he's happy. If he wants to go faster, for whatever reason, aero wheels will generally be better even if they are a little heavier. I believe the break point is somewhere around 8% grade. So if you're planning to do steep uphill only races then go with the lightest possible low profile wheels. Otherwise, aero wheels will be faster.
Old 07-26-13, 10:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
(I ask because I'm skeptical about whether aerodynamic wheels offer enough speed to justify their price for people who aren't racing.)
Oh, well the answer to that is they don't unless you can get the wheels very cheaply. But you can say the same about other components that make you slightly faster.

I built a simple model that assumed that I'd gain 1 mph on the descents on the Everest Challenge (three big climbs/two big descents on each of two days, 29,035' total climbing). The wheels are slightly faster on descents- I can tell when I am on training rides and am slightly faster vs the same riders on the same descents. Of course I don't know how much faster they are exactly, the 1mph is just a guess. It could be 2 mph if the speeds are high and there's not much cross wind. It's not 5 or 10 mph. The small extra speed from the aero wheels lets me stay with other racers in the EC and in their draft. I'm tall but light, and on the largely non technical fast descents in this race I was getting dropped by guys I'd dropped on the preceding climb. With the aero wheels I can stay with them or sometimes drop them. So say half that speed increase is due to my particular situation of not staying in the draft vs staying in the draft. The aero wheels weighed about 200g more than my non aero wheels. My model assuming 1 mph avg faster on descents said that the aero wheels would save me about 4 minutes but the extra 200g would cost about 2 minutes, so the aero wheels save 2 minutes over all. This is on a over all time of 12.5 hours so you can see that the speed improvement of the aero wheels OR losing a couple hundred grams is really small.
Old 07-26-13, 11:02 AM

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, quick question, if I'm slow as hell on the climbs anyways, say, 10 mph for a 5.1% climb, I would stand to gain more from ultra light wheels like Zipp 202, Reynolds RZR, the new Tune Skyliner, etc, right? On flat ground I can average 17-18 pretty easily, but the climbs are what I need to get better on. My bike is a boatanchor as well, well over 23 lb, so this is all hypothetical, since I ain't dropping 3k on wheels for this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.