Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Less expensive alternative to BB thread taps from park?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

Theirs seem to run from 250 for a single tap, up to 400 or 500 for a set. I ask because I worked on a bike yesterday with not so great threads and, even though I made it work I realized I might need something to clean up threads for real at some point. I would have hated to scrap a frame for lack of a tool but in this case I could have bought two frames for what the tool costs from park.

Thanks for any help!
Jack
Old 10-25-21, 11:20 AM
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 692 Posts
Like these ?
I've never used them, I just remembered seeing them.

Barry
Old 10-25-21, 11:56 AM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
If you’re just cleaning up existing threads, find yourself a good steel bottom bracket cup and cut two or three grooves across the threads from the inside to the outside.
We used to call these a ‘poor man’s tap’ and they work surprisingly well if you are careful.
Use a lightnoil and back it out every turn or so to clean out anything taken out of the BB threads.
The grooves give the removed bits somewhere to go.
Old 10-25-21, 12:10 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...the best cheaper alternative for a piloted tap used to be out of Europe. Cyclus makes a decent quality, one for "home" and one for "professional" use. But for some reason you need to order the from a European supplier, like Holland Bike Shop. Which involves postage that can add to the current pricing. But there is something on Amazon and ebay now, shoowing up, that appears to be coming out of Taiwan, that was going for less than a hundred bucks last time I checked. It only comes in standard threading. The Cyclus ones used to be available in both standard and Italian.

For French metric BB threading, the best I can do new is to buy a standard plug tap, in the appropriate diameter and threading. Those are like 40 bucks, because it's a large tap. YOu can clean up stuff with those, which is about all you'll ever need to do on French threaded BB shells.
Old 10-25-21, 12:19 PM
Friendship is Magic

Hollandbikeshop.com has the Bottom Bracket Bicycle Tools you’re looking for.

Bike Bottom Bracket Tapping Thread Tool Aluminum Alloy Bicycle BB Part Tool
Old 10-25-21, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Hozan C-402
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 10-25-21, 12:45 PM
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
You may want to also looking into a thread file

https://www.webbikeworld.com/repair-...0file%20sides.

Old 10-25-21, 12:56 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I've found for myself personally, that when a specialized expensive tool is needed, I just pay the LBS to do it. Things like chasing & facing or freewheel tool I'll never need again. Probably maybe a handful of times in the last 10 years.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-25-21, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have built 5 frames thus far and have used the Hozan BB thread chaser tool C-402 on each one of them. Works wonderfully well. We also use the Hozan at the bike shop since 1980. They are now dull, but better than using a threaded BB cup with a slot cut in it to chase threads.
Old 10-25-21, 05:18 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have built 5 frames thus far and have used the Hozan BB thread chaser tool C-402 on each one of them. Works wonderfully well. We also use the Hozan at the bike shop since 1980. They are now dull, but better than using a threaded BB cup with a slot cut in it to chase threads.
Taps and most other frame cutting tools can be sharpened. I've had my Campy ones sharpened a couple of times over the 40ish years i've had them. Once by someone in the bike world and the other time by a tool and die world guy. Both times the difference was worth it.

The concern in using a simple tap or made to chase BB cup is that the fine thread (for the diameter) is easy to start crossed up. Also without a pilot shaft keeping both taps (an English BB has two different thread directions thus two taps needed) coaxial this chance to start a tap crooked is far greater then a piloted tap set.

I do pretty much agree with dedhed in when to let the LBS do the work. But some of us just love tools so... Andy
Old 10-25-21, 05:25 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
The problem with the Hozan C-402 is that the taps are unpiloted; this makes it hard to keep both sides coaxial. Hozan does offer piloted bottom bracket taps (C-405), but the price is comparable to Park, VAR, etc.

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Thread files can help with external threads, such as on a bolt, axle, or bottom bracket cup, but they're not much use in internal threads, like inside a bottom bracket shell.

I've seen these on eBay; for less than US$90 and piloted, and what appear to be titanium nitride coated taps is quite remarkable. I have no idea of the quality, but they're likely adequate for dealing with at least a few frames.

Somebody should buy a set and report back…
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-25-21, 05:51 PM
Friendship is Magic

...I can recommend the quality of the Cyclus piloted taps out of Europe without reservation. I've used the park set at the bike co-op here, and the Cyclus pro level ones (which is what I bought when I stopped showing up over at th co-op regularly, and started working more from home.) And I, too, would love a report on those Asian produced ones at less than a hundred bucks on ebay.

Honestly speaking, though, I use a Hozan fixed cup tool a lot more than I use either set of bottom bracket taps. But I do use all of them, from time to time.
Owning a set of Italian piloted BB taps has saved at least one frame, a Ron Cooper with a severely rusted bottom bracket and a threadless BB installed some time in the past.

It was worth whatever I paid for them, back when the dollar was strong against the Euro, just for that one job. I really like that bike.
Old 10-25-21, 06:08 PM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dedhed
I've found for myself personally, that when a specialized expensive tool is needed, I just pay the LBS to do it. Things like chasing & facing or freewheel tool I'll never need again. Probably maybe a handful of times in the last 10 years.

I have thread restoring files. Unless I missed something obvious they only work when the file is parallel to the threads, not the transverse way.

I really appreciate all the helpful responses. I'm leaning towards the hozan tool because honestly any threads that were so damaged that they needed piloted taps I think I wouldn't mess with anyway. This would just be to clean threads or repair very minimal damage.

I've used taps to do that on relatively fine threads before and I didn't have a problem avoiding cross threading. I learned the hard way (many times) not to force things.
Old 10-25-21, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The problem with the Hozan C-402 is that the taps are unpiloted; this makes it hard to keep both sides coaxial. Hozan does offer piloted bottom bracket taps (C-405), but the price is comparable to Park, VAR, etc.
I understand that as a problem with the Hozans, but the were not made for threading a shell, the were made for chasing and cleanup which means the BB is already threaded and should in theory already be coaxial.

I've seen these on eBay; for less than US$90 and piloted, and what appear to be titanium nitride coated taps is quite remarkable. I have no idea of the quality, but they're likely adequate for dealing with at least a few frames.

Somebody should buy a set and report back…
If I ever get the opportunity I will let you know how my set works. I bought one years ago but haven't needed it yet.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 10-25-21 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-26-21, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
No question there are situations where the Hozan taps are not going to work well. I suppose that is where experience comes into play, but for most BB threads that simply need a cleanup the Hozan works very well.
Old 10-26-21, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 382 Posts
I have a Cyclus bb tap like the one in the link below.. I've used it to chase threads on 4 new frames. Worked great.

https://www.bike24.com/p2275889.html
Old 10-26-21, 07:49 AM
Old fart

No question there are situations where the Hozan taps are not going to work well. I suppose that is where experience comes into play, but for most BB threads that simply need a cleanup the Hozan works very well.
Point taken, but given that the cost of the unpiloted Hozan taps is comparable to that of the piloted Chinese taps on eBay, I'd be sorely tempted to get the Chinese taps.
Old 10-26-21, 07:58 AM
Old fart

Originally Posted by gearbasher
I have a Cyclus bb tap like the one in the link below.. I've used it to chase threads on 4 new frames. Worked great.

A nice thing about the Cyclus set is that you can get both Italian and English thread spec; the eBay Chinese taps are only available in English thread.

Italian thread allows you to convert from either English or metric (French, Swiss) thread in the event that the original threads are hopelessly buggered.
Old 10-26-21, 09:20 AM

A nice thing about the Cyclus set is that you can get both Italian and English thread spec; the eBay Chinese taps are only available in English thread.

Italian thread allows you to convert from either English or metric (French, Swiss) thread in the event that the original threads are hopelessly buggered.
Being all I own are Italian bikes with Italian threads, I bought the Cyclus with Italian taps.
Old 10-26-21, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher

Do they make a facing tool?
Old 10-26-21, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts

This only shows an external thread file, you can get an internal file in metric. I have one, but I don't think it has the correct thread pitch for a BB.

Edit: Actually, do you need a non-metric file because it's 24tpi? I just confused myself there.
Old 10-26-21, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by daniell
Do they make a facing tool?
Yes they make a facing tool. Mine came with guides for English, Italian and French threads. I wasn't too impressed with it. The cutter on mine became dull rather fast. I had it sharpened at a place that sharpens tools. The guy said he never did anything like it, but he gave it a shot. I think it cut better than new after he was done.