Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear Dérailleur broke

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rear Dérailleur broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Dérailleur broke

I had a rear dérailleur go on me today. Shimano 105, broke in half right above where it attaches to the frame, right above two screws. Why would it do that?

Chain broke too. Including the rear dérailleur cable. Plus scratched paint.

I was just about to leave my house, and was shifting from front 2nd to front 3rd when this happened. Sucks. I loved riding. I rode today instead around town. Beautiful. What usually took me 50 minutes on a car, took me only 35 on a bike. I was faster than cars on intersections, sometimes going in between and taking over. That was some fun.
Old 06-09-07, 10:44 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Did you perhaps crosschain? What gear were you on in the back?

Oh by the way. We missed you in your other thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-09-07, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only talk to people that interest me.

Rear was in the first. That is the shortest that there is - biggest. I don't think I cross chained, because I didn't touch the rear shifters at all.

I have this years shimano 105 in the rear. Do I have to replace it with the same year? Does last year or year before is different?

Any other brand that I could go with that is comparable to 105 but is a bit better in performance and price?

Man, this is sucks. I want to ride a bicycle. I rode for chores today and seen some HB8+'s catching a bus. We have a strip club there, so must be the strippers, or could be just a good looking hun catching a bus. So I had my pen and stuff and was going to ride there again, then go and hit the shops. I had 25+ miles in mind today, what the heck, bike is faster than a car with our traffic. This totally sucks.
Old 06-09-07, 10:56 AM
Homey

Yesterday that almost happened to Jon (Pheard). He was in the smallest ring in back and was trying to go to the smallest ring in front.

With the flex and stress pressure, the chain snapped and got mangled as you see. No damage to the der but I'm sure there could have been if he didn't catch it as quickly as he did. He was going downhill and wasn't really putting pressure by mashing on it.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-09-07, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm not experienced and really strong, so this thing happened.
Old 06-09-07, 11:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can this chain be reused? I don't think it's missing any elements, but one of the elements where it broke is bent. It's a KMC Z9000 Super Narrow 9 Speed chain.

Perhaps this was a god's way saving my butt from something more serious on the road. Happened right near my house, like the best place it could have happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0430_1.JPG (62.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0431_1.JPG (58.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-09-07, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You don't lay the bike on its' side do you? Some people do that when they get off or for transport and the derraillur or frame gets bent.
Old 06-09-07, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, I brace my bike against the wall. It never even dropped. Chipped paint is one of my pet peeves, so I take care of things so they look nice. I rode the bike for about 10 miles today with no problems.
Old 06-09-07, 03:02 PM
Homey

Originally Posted by djSlvt
Nah, I brace my bike against the wall. It never even dropped. Chipped paint is one of my pet peeves, so I take care of things so they look nice. I rode the bike for about 10 miles today with no problems.
You sound like me. Mich said that one scratch = a new paint job to me.

What did you replace the der with? Another 105?
Old 06-09-07, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll probably replace it with another 105. I also have brocken chain, paint, and one spoke. I might look at service from a place I bought it from less than a week ago.

Any benefits from 10 speeds instead of 9? What's involved in swap?
Old 06-09-07, 04:03 PM
Homey

I always thought that 10 speeds were better for climbing.
Old 06-09-07, 05:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a rear dérailleur go on me today. Shimano 105, broke in half right above where it attaches to the frame, right above two screws. Why would it do that?

Chain broke too. Including the rear dérailleur cable. Plus scratched paint.

I was just about to leave my house, and was shifting from front 2nd to front 3rd when this happened. Sucks. I loved riding. I rode today instead around town. Beautiful. What usually took me 50 minutes on a car, took me only 35 on a bike. I was faster than cars on intersections, sometimes going in between and taking over. That was some fun.
Interestingly, I was on a group ride Friday night, and one of the riders was climbing on up a short hill on his new bike, when the derailleur broke off the bike.

It was also a Shimano 105.

I wasn't there, but from reports I don't think he was cross-chained.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 06-10-07, 08:47 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe it's a warranty issue?
Old 06-11-07, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I look at it. It's not just one spoke that is bent. The whole rear wheel is crooked, goes from left to right and right to left when I spin it.

Is this related to a spoke? Will a new spoke or two fix this? Perhaps I need a brand new wheel?

What's a sure fix for this one, spokes or new wheels?
Old 06-11-07, 05:47 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Now that I look at it. It's not just one spoke that is bent. The whole rear wheel is crooked, goes from left to right and right to left when I spin it.

Is this related to a spoke? Will a new spoke or two fix this? Perhaps I need a brand new wheel?

What's a sure fix for this one, spokes or new wheels?
Isn't your bike brand new? as in only a couple of weeks old? that broken derailer should be covered by warranty along with all the subsequent damage.

The bent spoke ay have put enough extra pull on the rim to pull it out of true, which is that wobble you're seeing. The wheel can be brought back to straight, in fact spoked wheels sometimes need a little tuning like this, it's normal.
Old 06-12-07, 03:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, I'm looking at fixing this asap.

Believe it or not, bike is like the best thing ever happened to me. I enjoy riding my bike better than driving my stang.
Old 06-12-07, 06:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that the chain broke, and that is what snapped the derailleur. Was the chain Shimano? Odds are the chain was not installed correctly. It is common with those little Shimano chain pins on narrow chains. If the bike is in fact new, I would be talking to a shop about a replacement. If you installed the chain, it may be on you.
Old 06-14-07, 06:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain was KCV (or similar 3 letter name with K) 9 speed super narrow.

I plan to reuse this chain, after straightening out one of the lements. It looks ok now. Good idea or bad? Should I buy a new chain?

How to properly install a chain?
Old 06-14-07, 07:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chain was probably KMC. I would just get a new chain. If any of the links are bent you risk the same outcome. If I were you, I would get a SRAM chain. The masterlink makes installation very easy. Just cut it to the same length as your current chain.
Old 06-14-07, 07:48 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The benefit of going from nine to ten speeds is far less than the cost. Any Shimano rear derailleur of relatively recent vintage will work, regardless of "speeds". Get a cheap nine-speed SRAM chain. You probably don't need a new wheel, just new spokes and a truing. If it's warranty, of course, the bike shop will take care of all of this.
Old 06-14-07, 08:17 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you have a Motobecane? Those ae usually mail order, there is an onliner dude always raving about how great they are. Where is he?

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 06-14-07, 08:23 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
Don't you have a Motobecane? Those ae usually mail order, there is an onliner dude always raving about how great they are. Where is he?
If nothing else, I guess this proves that the OP isn't a shill... .

East Hill
Old 06-16-07, 05:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barba
My guess is that the chain broke, and that is what snapped the derailleur.
Nah man ... this totally sounds like the derailleur got caught in the spokes. My bet is derailleur stop was not adjusted properly, allowing it to get too close to the wheel. When he shifted the front derailleur and the chain bounced around, the rear derailleur bounced around too and nough to get caught in a spoke. This then twisted the derailleur around, broke it, bent some spokes and broke the chain.

Mountain biking a lot, I've seen my share of derailleurs into spokes, usually due to sticks. It can mess stuff up real fast! Bent derailleur hangers, busted derailleurs, bent/broken spokes, etc.

This failure has derailleur getting caught in a spoke written all over it.

What I would do is:
1) get a new chain! I had a chain fall off on my fixed gear and get wrapped around the cog. It looked OK, but I promptly popped a link a few miles later in the ride

2) get a new derailleur

3) make sure the stops on the derailleur are set right so it won't get caught in the wheel again!

4) check your derailleur hanger to make sure it's not bent!