Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant FCR2 '09

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant FCR2 '09

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help Giant FCR2 '09

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

I just bought this weekend a Giant FCR2 '09 bike. I want to get back to riding and think this might be a good bike (I was wondering between this one and the Giant Defy3). I have not picked up the bike at the shop yet and I could still change my mind.

I will be using this bike to ride about 10-15km to and 10-15km back.

I have bought a Small frame (that's what the guy suggested) but I have found out that this if for 5'2 to 5'6 and I am 5'8 (they do have the Medium size in stock). Is small the right size?

Thanks for any help.

Chris.

Last edited by falconcg; 11-01-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 02:48 AM
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would certainly test ride the medium, it seems like the more appropriate size.
Old 11-02-09, 03:18 AM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whatever feels right is great, but I too would suggest the medium. I'm 5 11 with a 32 inch inseam, and Giant fits me for a large. And the large felt right too.
Old 11-02-09, 10:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So probably medium would be better. But if I like to have more seat post and a smaller frame, would it be bad to take the small size even though Giant says 5'2 to 5'6 and I'm 5'8 (30'' inseam). I am just asking so I make the best decision. I have a Large mountain bike and never asked any questions and I am now stuck with a bike that I don't like.

The guy suggested the small but is he really qualified (I don't know). Once place tells me medium, another says small. I'm just mixed up. The guys who said small just looked at me, took the bike out, asked me to stand over it and said, small is good for you. Is there more to fitting that just that?

Thanks for all your help.

From a very mixed up guy.

Chris.
Old 11-02-09, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I've been riding Giant bikes for a few years now. You really have to 'try before you buy', but fwiw: I believe Giants actually fit a little 'big'. I am just under 5'9", but with a true cycling inseam (ie. measured bare foot, floor-to-crotch) of 33" (84cms.). According to Giant, I 'should' be on a Medium, but in fact I can comfortably ride either a 'Small' or 'Medium', either road or mountain, with suitable stem etc. For me, Medium works well in Road (e.g. FCR), but 'Small' is best for mountain. At 5'8", this would be even more applicable in your case: if your true cycling inseam is 30", a Small FCR might actually fit you better than a Medium -- all depends on what top tube length you like.
Old 11-02-09, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you're a small guy, go with medium. Small would feel cramped and large is too big.
Old 11-02-09, 10:39 AM

Just gonna repeat: try before you buy Any bike shop worth your business should set you up to properly try both the S and M; even to the extent of temporarily trying different stems, etc. Proper fit is the single most important thing -- more than slight variations in components, etc. Generally, what you're looking for is a) a "comfortable" reach to the bars, without either feeling 'scrunched up' or too stretched-out (either will kill your back!), together with b) a least some standover clearance.
Old 11-02-09, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'll stop at the bike shop again tonight and try it out.
Old 11-02-09, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple-year-old FCR2 in small, I'm 5' 8 1/2", 30" inseam. Fits perfectly, love the bike. I use it as my daily commuter as well, 20 miles round trip.

Definitely try out the medium too, but I think you'll find the small is a good fit.
Old 11-02-09, 02:41 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
yeah - do NOT get a bike that's too small. i had the 'large' frame trek fx 7.2 and it never felt right. then little by little, the more time i spent on it, i realized the frame was too small. i totally had that back/scrunching feeling which sucked. it was tolerable but not comfortable over longer rides.

so i sold that bike and got a 22.5" trek fx 7.7 - that size is perfect for me. it feels like a natural fit - no hunching, etc.

take both bikes on 10-15 minute test rides if you can. judging by your size though, like everyone is suggesting, medium would seem like the best option.
Old 11-02-09, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the medium. I am 5'10" and about a 31" inseam. It fits fine. I took a test ride but was coming from a much different bike. Taking a ride comparing a small to a medium sounds reasonable, but negotiate with the shop.
I don't know about the Defy. I had 32 mm tires put on the FCR. I like upright with lots of rubber. If you are tempted to drops, you sure should take a test ride on it, before you spring for the FCR.
Old 11-03-09, 05:16 AM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by falconcg
...But if I like to have more seat post and a smaller frame, would it be bad to take the small size even though Giant says 5'2 to 5'6 and I'm 5'8 (30'' inseam)...?
It's OK to get the small. Can you make the seat high enough? When you do, how high is it relative to the handlebars? I tend to buy the smaller size if I can get my desired position on it. I've bought bikes knowing I would need to swap for a slightly longer seatpost or stem.

For example, my Cannondale is designed to be used as more of a comfort type hybrid, so the size that was intended for someone my height had very high handlebars. I bought the smaller size and changed the seatpost when I got home. This is how I managed to get a performance fit on a cheap hybrid. Of course I could have got the larger size and changed the stem to a lower one and/or swap the stock risers for a flat bar.

Your bike however looks like more of a performance hybrid so the medium might fit you better. It really depends on how upright you want to be. Your back at 45º to the ground is a medium sporty position. If you prefer less upright, the smaller frame might work better for you.

Don't stress, you can probably achieve your desired riding position on either bike.
Old 11-03-09, 08:50 AM
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ +1.

The most important measurement for me when looking at a bike is top tube length. I'm 5'8" and would probably select the small FCR based on that. The small bike is essentially an 18".

Last edited by Saddle Up; 11-03-09 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I tried the Small on the road yesterday and really liked it. But now my head was saying, should I get the hybrid FCR2 (already have a deposit on it) or go with the DEFY 3 which is a road bike. I will be doing 10KM back and forth and was wondering if I would prefer the hand positionning on the road bike. I will not be doing so long runs on weekends but more likely ride with my wife and kids. I am pretty sure I will go pick up the FCR2 this friday. I just don't want to get the wrong one again.
Old 11-03-09, 11:02 AM

So I tried the Small on the road yesterday and really liked it. But now my head was saying, should I get the hybrid FCR2 (already have a deposit on it) or go with the DEFY 3 which is a road bike. I will be doing 10KM back and forth and was wondering if I would prefer the hand positionning on the road bike. I will not be doing so long runs on weekends but more likely ride with my wife and kids. I am pretty sure I will go pick up the FCR2 this friday. I just don't want to get the wrong one again.
This really is a decision only you can make. Have you tried out a Defy? You might find you like it much more, or (and this is possible, notwithstanding what some people might claim) you might prefer the FCR. At any rate, fwiw here are some of the possible considerations.

1. Flat bars or drops? Some people much prefer drops, others not so much. I, for example, don't get on with drop bars for various reasons. One thing I will say: the very common 'multiple positions possible on drop bars are better (for longer rides) than flats' assertion may or may not be true in YOUR case. Many, many people have ridden round the world on flatbar bikes of various kinds; the most recent 'round the world record' was set on just such a bike. It all depends on you, your 'anatomy', your riding conditions/preferences. Remember also that the FCR has flatbars with bar ends; in effect, you can approximate the two most commonly-used positions on drops (the 'tops' of the bars and the brake hoods). OTOH, drops do give you a 'cut wind resistance' position which you might find you like.

2. Tires. The Defy is a true road bike; you might just be able to squeeze 700x28 tires in there, but that's it -- you will be limited to relatively narrow road tires. Nothing wrong with that, IF that's what you want/that suits your application for the bike. The FCR, otoh, would allow you to use anything from a 700x23 race tire all the way up to, say, a 32, and possibly even a 35 (not sure about that). Again, whether you want that capacity will depend on your application, including prevailing road conditions. If you've lousy road surfaces, and/or want occassionally to ride on unpaved surfaces, might be something to consider.

3. Brakes. FCR: v-brakes; Defy: road caliper brakes. Not a question of which is better, more just being aware of differences. Vs are part of the reason the FCR has more versatility re. tire size (above), and they are more 'powerful' though braking force is, ultimately, more a function of tire grip than actual brake leverage, for practical purposes. Road brakes will also stop you just fine, and some (self included) prefer the 'feel' of road caliper brakes ('dual pivot') to vbrakes or even discs.

4. Handling -- will actually be pretty similiar overall; pretty much identical geometry, so not much in it.
Old 11-03-09, 11:40 AM
Zensunni Wanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't want to get the wrong one again.
Press Easy Button / purchase both. N+1 journey underway...
Old 11-03-09, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by badger1
This really is a decision only you can make. Have you tried out a Defy? You might find you like it much more, or (and this is possible, notwithstanding what some people might claim) you might prefer the FCR. At any rate, fwiw here are some of the possible considerations.

1. Flat bars or drops? Some people much prefer drops, others not so much. I, for example, don't get on with drop bars for various reasons. One thing I will say: the very common 'multiple positions possible on drop bars are better (for longer rides) than flats' assertion may or may not be true in YOUR case. Many, many people have ridden round the world on flatbar bikes of various kinds; the most recent 'round the world record' was set on just such a bike. It all depends on you, your 'anatomy', your riding conditions/preferences. Remember also that the FCR has flatbars with bar ends; in effect, you can approximate the two most commonly-used positions on drops (the 'tops' of the bars and the brake hoods). OTOH, drops do give you a 'cut wind resistance' position which you might find you like.

2. Tires. The Defy is a true road bike; you might just be able to squeeze 700x28 tires in there, but that's it -- you will be limited to relatively narrow road tires. Nothing wrong with that, IF that's what you want/that suits your application for the bike. The FCR, otoh, would allow you to use anything from a 700x23 race tire all the way up to, say, a 32, and possibly even a 35 (not sure about that). Again, whether you want that capacity will depend on your application, including prevailing road conditions. If you've lousy road surfaces, and/or want occassionally to ride on unpaved surfaces, might be something to consider.

3. Brakes. FCR: v-brakes; Defy: road caliper brakes. Not a question of which is better, more just being aware of differences. Vs are part of the reason the FCR has more versatility re. tire size (above), and they are more 'powerful' though braking force is, ultimately, more a function of tire grip than actual brake leverage, for practical purposes. Road brakes will also stop you just fine, and some (self included) prefer the 'feel' of road caliper brakes ('dual pivot') to vbrakes or even discs.

4. Handling -- will actually be pretty similiar overall; pretty much identical geometry, so not much in it.
Point 3 was one of my consideration points. The roads are not that great here in Gatineau, Quebec (10 min from the nation's capital, Ottawa). So I preferred the ''wee'' bit bigger tires.

Originally Posted by KShep
Press Easy Button / purchase both. N+1 journey underway...
Did I win the lottery, GGGRRREEEAAAAATTTTTT
Old 11-03-09, 12:22 PM

I hear ya/know the area well Your roads are probably almost as bad as ours here in SW Ontario If anything like the same, I'd go with the FCR as an 'everyday/commuting' bike; tire capacity would also allow you to ride deeper into the winter/start up earlier in late winter/spring. Pretty usable bike, really; you could always go for a pure road bike later, if and when time/money/inclination allow.
Old 11-03-09, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I thought. I'll pick up the bike friday.

Comes is Crank Brothers Smarty pedals. I guess I'll have to buy some shoes now. Probably mtn shoes so I can walk with them. I was going to exchange and put pedals with toe-in but naw, just go buy some shoes I guess. I wonder if all shoes will go on the Crank Brothers Smarty pedals.

He will install a trainer tire so I can use it inside this winter on my trainer that I will be buying too.
Old 11-03-09, 02:18 PM
Zensunni Wanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did I win the lottery, GGGRRREEEAAAAATTTTTT
I hope you do Chris. Enjoy the Giant FCR.
Old 11-05-09, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I finally got the FCR2 '09 in size small (as per first decision). I have tried it outside and liked it alot (gearing was way much better than the Alivio on my mountain bike). Paid 744$+tx and also got a training tire on it (so unfortunately, I can't go ride it right now...sad). I will be putting on some km on it this winter since I will be buying a trainer for it.

THanks for all your help. I will try to post some pics later.

Thanks.

Chris.
www.cgphotos.ca
Old 11-07-09, 08:48 AM
I Love My Dream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not trainer season for hybrid bikes yet is it? I know it's started for road cyclists but I thought it started much later for hybrid riders.
Old 11-07-09, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it's not below 0 deg. celcius in the morning now (32 deg F) and since I have not riden in a long time, I ask the guy to put my trainer on right away (that less to do) and I'll just get in shape first.
Old 11-07-09, 10:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Missing out on some gorgeous weather, falcon!

Get a real tire (and tire levers, spare tube, patches and pump and and a helmet and...) and get outside!

It's pretty important to know how to remove and install a tire in case you get a flat, so if you can't already easily do it, swapping out that trainer tire will be good practice.

Just do it. On a warmer sunny day, you will thank me. I can't imagine waiting several months to ride a new bike in something other than 'exercise bike mode'. That would be torture. Riding a trainer is close enough to torture, but doing it on a sweet brand new bike that has never moved under a rider, is cruel to yourself and your bike.
Old 11-07-09, 04:53 PM
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THanks for all your help. I will try to post some pics later.

Thanks.

Chris.
www.cgphotos.ca
You like like a heck of a photographer, so um, you know. Still waiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.