Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Bike For Racing

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 01:41 PM
Specialized RH Comp

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I plan on getting into racing next year and am wondering what the best upgrades to make on my bike would be. I'm riding a 2004 Rockhopper comp, all stock except for pedals and bars. What should I think about upgrading first? Tires and rims? Any advice on parts and brands?

Thank you!!
Old 11-04-05, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what level of racing are you getting into? Are you getting into a series of races at different places? If so I would look at tires for the different conditions of different courses. Other than that i would mainly focus on spending A LOT of time on the bike possibly look into getting a rode bike.
Old 11-04-05, 01:59 PM
Specialized RH Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be my first year racing so I'll be riding in the Citizen class (entry level). I will be riding in a series of races around Wisconsin and all courses feature multiple types of terrain.
Old 11-04-05, 03:47 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Your wheels and tires will make the most difference seeing as how they are rotating weight. A pound of rotating weight is equal to two to three pounds any where else on the bike.

What does your budget look like. If we know that we can help you out with brands.

Oh, since you will be in the beginner class don't sweat the equipment too much. While in that class the big thing is to learn. Learn how to ride in groups and how to pass and be passed. Most importantly though, have fun!
Old 11-05-05, 12:02 AM
Custom User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow everyone else's advice and drop weight off of your bike. But you can race with the bike as is.

I've dropped about 6-7lbs off of my 04 Rockhopper Comp and another 1.5lbs should be coming off in the next week or so. So basically, I have a pretty good idea of what the components weigh.

As LowCel suggested, a lighter wheelset will make a difference and swap the wire bead tires for lighter weight, folding tires. Heavy components include the crankset, seat, seatpost, and fork. The Truvativ 5D crankset is flexy and heavy, the seat is heavy (so is the seatpost) and wide so it's harder to get behind, and the Axel Elite fork weighs over 4.5lbs.

The front and rear derailleurs and shifters are fine, and don't worry about the stem as it weighs 190g. The V-brakes aren't heavy but they are low end Shimano so you may want to look at the Avid SD line for increased stopping power.

What you want to do depends on how much you want to spend. But a wheelset would be a good start and you can keep the stock ones as a backup.
Old 11-05-05, 12:13 AM
Hazardous

Bikes: 2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woody
This will be my first year racing so I'll be riding in the Citizen class (entry level). I will be riding in a series of races around Wisconsin and all courses feature multiple types of terrain.
Where are you from in wisconsin? I also live in wisconsin, and might be interested in doing some races when spring arrives.
Old 11-05-05, 05:33 AM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to make your bike look like my 2005 Comp:

OK, no you don't. But you do want to get new wheels as suggested. Also, a new crankset should save you a ton of weight over the stock 5D. A new fork would be third on my list.

(The saddle bag comes off on raceday.)

Best way to get faster? RIDE MORE!!!!!
Old 11-05-05, 09:19 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by shane45
You need to make your bike look like my 2005 Comp:

OK, no you don't. But you do want to get new wheels as suggested. Also, a new crankset should save you a ton of weight over the stock 5D. A new fork would be third on my list.

(The saddle bag comes off on raceday.)

Best way to get faster? RIDE MORE!!!!!
I think your chain is on wrong, but that might be the picture though.
Old 11-05-05, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
How can you have a chain on wrong? Just wondering.
Old 11-05-05, 09:25 AM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
Yeah - it's just the picture. I assume you're looking at the jockey pulley area? It's a combination of the tag end of my derailleur cable, the spoke and the der. cage which makes it look like it's mis-threaded.

Besides, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a problem in the 275 miles I've got on this chain.

Last edited by shane45; 11-05-05 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-05-05, 09:25 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
How can you have a chain on wrong? Just wondering.
Through the deraillieur.
Old 11-05-05, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Moab2 cross-country racing, highly modified, rebuilt many, many times. very fast!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woody
I plan on getting into racing next year and am wondering what the best upgrades to make on my bike would be. I'm riding a 2004 Rockhopper comp, all stock except for pedals and bars. What should I think about upgrading first? Tires and rims? Any advice on parts and brands?

Thank you!!
in order of performance gains it's the frame first! handlebar grips, gloves, pedals, crank, wheels, rear derailler, cassette, chain, front derailler, brake pads, handlebars, waterbottle. This is a basic order for gaining performance. As far as the fork goes you can get by with an average fork as long as it's never been damaged. And your tire choice would be better picked off of a design that was based on the chevron pattern, and dont be afraid to use wide tires, they respond to pressure changes way better than skinny tires (aiding in suspension, and traction or the ability to reduce rolling resistance) Building your own rims makes you a more indepth bicyclist. The more you work on your own bicycle, the better you become on understanding what upgrades give you the best performance gains. Some discontinued products by their manufacturers are still better than some of the new stuff.
Old 11-05-05, 11:42 AM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChroMo2
in order of performance gains it's the frame first!
I strongly disagree.

There is not a lot of performance to be gained by replacing the frame only. Assuming your bike is not an X-Mart special, the frame will already be of decent quality. You MIGHT save an ounce or two by upgrading frames. There are MUCH bigger weight savings and performance gains to be had elsewhere on a bike.

Last edited by shane45; 11-06-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-05-05, 12:04 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
handlebar grips, gloves, pedals, crank, wheels, rear derailler, cassette, chain, front derailler, brake pads, handlebars, waterbottle. This is a basic order for gaining performance.
Are you listing these things in the order you think they should be upgraded?
Old 11-05-05, 12:25 PM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by never
Are you listing these things in the order you think they should be upgraded?
A guy that lists "gloves" as a performance upgrade should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 11-05-05, 01:45 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, no kidding, I think the list is kind of funny...these are the most important upgrades for gaining performance? A water bottle...is that a performance upgrade?
Old 11-05-05, 01:56 PM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wheelset +4

(after water bottle of course)
Old 11-05-05, 02:46 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
in order of performance gains it's the frame first! handlebar grips, gloves, pedals, crank, wheels, rear derailler, cassette, chain, front derailler, brake pads, handlebars, waterbottle. This is a basic order for gaining performance. As far as the fork goes you can get by with an average fork as long as it's never been damaged. And your tire choice would be better picked off of a design that was based on the chevron pattern, and dont be afraid to use wide tires, they respond to pressure changes way better than skinny tires (aiding in suspension, and traction or the ability to reduce rolling resistance) Building your own rims makes you a more indepth bicyclist. The more you work on your own bicycle, the better you become on understanding what upgrades give you the best performance gains. Some discontinued products by their manufacturers are still better than some of the new stuff.
Please say this is some type of joke that none of us get.
Old 11-06-05, 11:08 AM
Specialized RH Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Taerom
Where are you from in wisconsin? I also live in wisconsin, and might be interested in doing some races when spring arrives.
I'm from Appleton. Do a lot of riding at Winter Park in Kewaunee.
Old 11-06-05, 08:24 PM

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Moab2 cross-country racing, highly modified, rebuilt many, many times. very fast!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shane45
I strongly disagree.

There is not a lot of performance to be gained by replacing the frame only. Assuming your bike is not an X-Mart special, the frame will already be of decent quality. You MIGHT save an ounce or two by upgrading frames. There are MUCH bigger weight savings and performance gains to be had elsewhere on a bike.
who said anything about weight? there's no specific order in replacing components, but someone asked for an opinion and i was trying to help. In the grand scheme of things, if you have to ask in the first place, you obviously don't know. Appreciate experienced bikers advice, because some people are stingy with their knowledge.
Old 11-06-05, 09:28 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who said anything about weight? there's no specific order in replacing components, but someone asked for an opinion and i was trying to help. In the grand scheme of things, if you have to ask in the first place, you obviously don't know. Appreciate experienced bikers advice, because some people are stingy with their knowledge.
Are you really being serious when you make your posts?
Old 11-06-05, 09:42 PM
im not lazy, im efficient

Bikes: 2005 KHS Alite, (year unknown) Lake, early 90's Diamond Back BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
word.

isnt that just a little bit conceited to call yourself an experienced bike rider? especially after the previous "advice"

hey man, waterbottles are most imporant. are you gonna sport the heavy stock bottle? or throw down for the carbon model?
Old 11-07-05, 12:36 AM

Bikes: Cinelli Unica, BP Stealth, K2 Razorback, Steel Bianchi roadie, Bianchi Super GL, Specialized Stumpjumper, and 3 beach cruisers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was lucky enough to have been given a full XTR bike as a gift. I wasn't a great rider yet and I found it embarassing to ride such a nice bike with no skills. So, I got a road bike and set out to make the most important upgrades of all, my muscles and handling. Nearly a year later, I'm the fastest of my friends and I can't wait to start raicng next season.
Old 11-07-05, 06:00 AM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's no specific order in replacing components
Do you want to get your story straight?

Check your first post (post #12). Allow me to refresh your memory where you said - "in order of performance gains it's the frame first! handlebar grips, gloves, pedals, crank, wheels, rear derailler, cassette, chain, front derailler, brake pads, handlebars, waterbottle. This is a basic order for gaining performance."

Sure sounds like you are trying to say there is a specific order. Oh, and by the way - your order is still wrong. Waterbottles should ALWAYS be upgraded before gloves.
Old 11-07-05, 07:55 AM

Bikes: Proflex 855

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires ---> Suspension ----> Pedals -----> then start losing weight on your other components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.