Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New, Albuquerque NM

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New, Albuquerque NM

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New, Albuquerque NM

Hi, I'm Dan, living in Albuquerque NM. I retired from the USAF in 2002, and am now a US Postal Mail Carrier on a mounted route (deliver "out the window"). My wife Sandy and I are 49 years old, just starting to ride bicycles again today.

I rode a Scwhinn 3 speed many many miles as a youth. Used to be a runner, then shattered my left ankle in a MC accident; ankle still has 3 pins in it and limited to about 80% range of motion, with light to moderate pain bicycling 30 minutes to 1 hour, heavy pain running 20 minutes. I am in poor physical condition, Sandy in better condition as she rides a stationary recumbant.

I need to get aerobic activity, drop my blood pressure (now 140/90 average), lose weight, and basically get fit once again. Back around 1997 we rode MTBs, specialized hard rocks, for physical activity for around 1 year. We ride 95% on paved streets and paved bike trails, 5% or less on dirt roads and easy paths. We live in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains at 5,000 ft altitude, so I need to build up to conquer the hills.

I have carpal tunnel and can't do the dropped bars on the MTB any longer, so we donated the MTBs to the Salvation Army. We just purchased 2 Jamis Aragon Hybrids (with 700*38 tires) https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/06_aragon.html for both my wife and I. We tried the Giant Cypress and Sedona, Trek 7300, Bianchi Avenue, and a couple of others before buying the Aragons.

I've been searching and skimming the Bike Forums and find it very usefull.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-10-06, 07:53 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome and set your sights on the Santa Fe Century in May!

Don't know your age, but drop by the 50+ forum if it suits you.
Old 01-15-06, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 2200-27 speed. Sch., Moab mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI

I live in Michigan so I have to train indoors all winter. I do a spin class for one hour one day a week. I participate in a water aerobics class twice a week. I walk four miles a day at least 3-4 times a week.

I am going on a bike tour from April 23-30 from Santa Fe to Taos.

Any advice for further training? Nutrition? What to wear for that climate? I know I will be riding hard the first of April 20-25 miles per day until one week before the trip.

You may email me if you like barbara.cutitss@sbcglobal.net