Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

advice on new handlebars/seat?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am slowly converting my Trek 820 mtn bike to a commuter. I have put thinner slicks on, and that is working out great! I love 'em! also put on a rack... but now I'm thinking I may need some different handlebars that might be more comfortable or efficient for the commuting rather than trail riding. I also think I might need an increase in reach as I seem to keep wanting to ride far back on the saddle to kind of stretch my body out a little. I will look into putting the saddle back a little farther. I replaced the original Trek saddle with a more padded Schwinn one ... it's just OK, I don't love it.

so... any advice on good handlebars and a seat? I know the Brooks saddle comes highly recommended...
Old 03-29-06, 03:04 PM
Devil's advocate

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, 1976 Schwinn Runabout, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to try a Brooks, myself. They're supposed to be great once they're broken in.

If you're used to a flat handlebar, you could probably use risers on the bike comfortably. But after riding a bike with drops, I'd have to say I recommend some sort of handlebars that allow for several hand positions. They don't look too nice, but a lot of people like moustache bars. Drops are really nice (though I haven't really spent time riding IN the drops, just over the hoods) but you might need new brake levers to take advantage of all the possible positions.
Old 03-29-06, 07:35 PM
Southern Gentleman

Bikes: 99 Specialized Allez Comp, 03 Cannondale F400, 02 Motobecane Cafe Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did the same thing!

See my thread about it here.

I went with the Nashbar trekking/butterfly bars, and I love them! They offer numerous hand positions, and my old components fit on them (although I did get new shifters). The Brooks B17 has been comfortable right out of the box. I am in love, and am already wanting to outfit my MTB and Road bike with Brooks saddles!

Let me know if you need any help with anything.
Old 03-29-06, 07:38 PM
Southern Gentleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nevermind...I see you replied to my previous thread! I will shutup and go away now.
Old 03-29-06, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, that's OK! I was inspired by your conversion! I am thinking about those handlebars. where are your brakes on them?
Old 03-29-06, 08:44 PM
Southern Gentleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the best picture I have of the bars at the moment. You can see where my shifter pods are. The brakes are mounted right beside them. You can see the black clamp right next the silver clamp of the shifters. You can also barely see the left lever. The right lever is hidden behind the bar in this picture.

Old 03-29-06, 08:44 PM
Southern Gentleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want closer pics of anything else, let me know and I will take them and post them.
Old 03-30-06, 12:02 AM

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could also use upright "North Road" type bars if you're more concerned about being comfy.

Rivendell sells a more finely tuned and exclusive type of these bars, known as the albatross, by Nitto. They come in chromoly(cheaper!) and aluminum but the latter is the only one in stock right now.

Here's the link:
https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/web...ape/16127.html

And here's a more in-depth link:
https://bessasandackerman.com/blog/?p=46

Now thats a real and classic commuter bar.
Old 03-30-06, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to second the Brooks. I have 2 B-17's and they are the only saddles I can ride for any length of time without padded cycling shorts.
Kenal0
Old 03-31-06, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also recommend a Brooks and Northroad handlebars.
Avoid padded bike saddles.
I run Nashbar moustache bars and a B-17 on my commuter. However I use road style levers. MTB levers won't fit on the Nashbar moustache but will on the northroad. You still may also want a longer stem (or a larger frame).
Craig
Old 03-31-06, 10:42 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my trek 830 mtb 'Street Tuned' with North Roads, a Brooks B-67 and 1.5" Armadillos. It's 23" from the h'bar clamp to the tip of the saddle peak. Also 23" from BB to top of seat tube. A big, long bike. I now have the adjustable stem set level to the ground, thus lowering the bars a little. They are now level with the saddle.

Chicbicyclist talks about Nitto Albatross bars from Rivendell. Those are very elegant h'bars and are as retro/functional as the North Roads. Either style will keep your head up in traffic.
https://i2.tinypic.com/sowwua.jpg
https://i2.tinypic.com/sowyv7.jpg

Last edited by jcm; 03-31-06 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 07:18 AM
Prairie Path Commuter

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose there are better threads to start a debate over Brooks saddles but I am not a big fan of them even though they are very popular and I have never owned one. I have closely examined one at my LBS and I think they are too narrow, too much like a traditional bike saddle. Based on the advice of a Men's Health article I read, I have been using a Specialized Oasis saddle for the past several years. This saddle has been designed orthopedically and seeks to reduce seat pressure but more importantly it places the seat pressure over the bones. This has worked very well for me and I can not imagine using anything else. The Oasis is no longer made but the next generation Body Geometry Saddle is listed below. I also see that Nashbar sell something similar. If you have to have a Brooks saddle I would suggest a women's saddle if you are a man because they are wider. The Brooks saddles do look nice though.

https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=13753

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Old 04-01-06, 08:01 AM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drops are really nice (though I haven't really spent time riding IN the drops, just over the hoods)
That's why bullhorn bars are great. Commuters seem to love the hoods position, which is what you get if you chop the drops off.
Old 04-02-06, 12:55 AM
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sabaka
I just did the same thing!

See my thread about it here.

I went with the Nashbar trekking/butterfly bars, and I love them! They offer numerous hand positions, and my old components fit on them (although I did get new shifters). The Brooks B17 has been comfortable right out of the box. I am in love, and am already wanting to outfit my MTB and Road bike with Brooks saddles!

Let me know if you need any help with anything.
The brooks is OK, but my Euromesh is way more comfortable than the brooks.