Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

anyone know of a lockable trunk rack for a commuter bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 09:04 AM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

I have an early morning class and would like to be able to lock up my helmet, flat kit, gloves, lights, etc while I am in class. Something I can lock and leave perma-attached to the bike would solve some of my issues with commuting.

Hardshell or maybe even softshell would work. Does not need to be bullitproof, just a decent theft deterent.

Thanks
Old 08-21-06, 09:07 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://otivia.com/cargocache.html
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-21-06, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...?pid=141&cid=2
Old 08-21-06, 10:34 AM
Kwisatz Haderach

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look awesome, but I didn't have the expendible cash so I bought a $7 lockable toolbox and bolted it to my rack. It has been there for eight months now, and has lasted through a winter of commuting and cobblestone roads. You could do something similar, no reason to blow $100 on it when it can be home-made.
Link to pics + description...https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/207894-rack-mounted-trunk.html
Old 08-21-06, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the links and tips, I will check them all out.

THe cheap do it yourself options appeal to me do to the cost, but the first 2 links do looks slick.
Old 08-21-06, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked at the lockable containers designed for motor bikes? Strictly DIY but still an option. Lots of lockable metal and plastic boxes can be found at good hardware stores as well as mounting hardware. Again DIY.
Old 08-22-06, 06:51 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fillthecup
Those look awesome, but I didn't have the expendible cash so I bought a $7 lockable toolbox and bolted it to my rack. It has been there for eight months now, and has lasted through a winter of commuting and cobblestone roads. You could do something similar, no reason to blow $100 on it when it can be home-made.
Link to pics + description...https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=207894
A slick cheap very effective solution. See how many$$ can be save by a little "out of the box"
thinking???

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-22-06, 08:34 AM

here is an idea I am toying with. I have several old milk crates. Bolt one of them to the rack. Cut the bottom off of another to make a lid/top for the one on the bike. Use 4 long shackle padlocks to make it a lockable trunk.

Now if this works like I am thinking, I have a lockable trunk that people can see in. Hopefully any want-to-be thieves sees that there is a flat repair kit, pump, cheap light, and helmet and decided it is not worth the hassle of trying to steal.

Want do you think? My biggest expense would be getting 4 padlocks.
Old 08-22-06, 09:08 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Milk crate "trunk"?? Nah,mate don't think you'd like that for very long.

A much better solution is the tool box. You can find one cheap @ yardsales
or home depot or wal-mart. What you gain is waterproofing no miik crate
can give plus prying eyes can't "want" your stuff.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-22-06, 09:12 AM

maybe the toolbox and some wire baskets for my book bag is the way to go
Old 08-22-06, 09:40 AM
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the one I put on my bike.. not big enough for a helmet, but holds all the rest of the stuff just fine. It was like $20 and a trip to the hardware store to bolt it on.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=220547

I bought it here :

https://www.partsforscooters.com/Scooter-Trunk
Old 08-28-06, 03:20 PM

Over the weekend I made some changes to the commuter bike. ignore the date in the pictures, forgot to reset that on my camera

Ok first ride to school and work turned out great. The only time the weight of the loaded crate seems to be an issues is walking the bike. Once I am moving, no problems.

A little noisy on rough roads but tolerable.

here are the addresses for a few pictures.

https://www.u.arizona.edu/~hankinsj/G...iser%20006.jpg
https://www.u.arizona.edu/~hankinsj/G...iser%20008.jpg
https://www.u.arizona.edu/~hankinsj/G...iser%20014.jpg
https://www.u.arizona.edu/~hankinsj/G...iser%20015.jpg

I just zip tied the crate to my rack, because I have a ton of zip ties and not concerned with a quick release crate.

I used a power circular saw to cut the bottom off of the second crate. easy and quick.

There was no out of pocket cost as I have had all the supplies for this project for several years. My hope is that because you can see what is locked in the crate, it will be less tempting to would-be thieves.

The only issue I have at the moment is seen in the last picture. Should be easy enough to fix with another couple of locks. I am pretty sure I have a couple more locks to fix this, but I might buy a set of 4 locks that are all keyed the same.

Another idea I had this morning was a couple of longer U-locks or a cable that would fit from the top to bottom.

Woohoo, I think I just remembered that I have a cable that might work and then I would only need one lock. Just needs to be a long cable.

Next, I am thinking of turning the handlebars into bullhorns and possibly turning this bike into a single speed.

Somewhere down the road I will likely switch to a toolbox and wire basket panniers, but for now this seems to work for my needs.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Bolo Grubb; 08-28-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 04:46 PM
Kwisatz Haderach

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dig it! I like the lid, I hate carrying all my gadgets and tools into the store or work. My only issue with milk-crates was water-proofness.

This weekend I spotted some fishing tackle boxes that are light, sturdy, cheap ($7-$9), and transparent to boot. Lots of removable shelves, compartments and doo-dads also.

I looked for a long time for the right transparent tupperware, eventually found something that would fit on my rack, and it shattered in the winter cold. The toolbox was much sturdier and had a space for a lock, but I suppose it could entice thieves who wanted to see what was inside. I work on a college campus and it hasn't been a problem in the last eight months though.

If you want to use panniers in addition to the milk-crate you can use a spacer between the rack and the milk-crate.
Old 08-28-06, 05:20 PM

I did it this way mainly because I already had everything I used. I may redo it in the future with a toolbox or a rectangular Milk crate (I have 2 of those so I could do the same thing).

I live in Arizona and we do not get much rain. and when we do I may have to ride in it anyways, so I try to use waterproff stuff and keep heavey duty garbage bags handy.
Old 08-28-06, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could heavy duty tape make that waterproof, at least for a couple weeks heh
Old 08-28-06, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
I wonder how a wood box would work? Wood is pretty light and can be stained and polyurethaned for beauty and added protection from the elements. It can look really classy with brass fittings and would compliment a honey or antique brown Brooks saddle real well.

Anybody here handy with woodworking?
Old 08-29-06, 12:09 PM
Mike

Bikes: Cignal Silverado MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
I wonder how a wood box would work?
This opens up a whole avenue of ideas - custom sizes (fit what you want), as strong as you want and with a fiberglas covering, impervious to natural elements! The only question is how heavy will it be?
Hmm..... I have some 1/8 plywood, 3/4" pine strips.......wonder what I can come up with!! :-))
Old 08-29-06, 10:25 PM
zum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an idea that I think has some mileage - containers could be woven out of polypropelene strapping, the type that's used to hold together cardboard shipping cartons. It could be effectively opaque like a solid box, but flexy so a drop wouldn't shatter it. Could be made with lockable lids, more resistant to slashing than the nylon that panniers and trunks are usually made from and with good design not much heavier. All the advantages and more of cane wickerwork without the girls' school, volvo-esque stigma, and good recycling principles too.

Whadda you guys think?
Old 09-17-06, 08:41 PM

ok after a couple of weeks of commuting with the milk crate i am starting to give more thought to a set like fillthecup's ( a toolbox bolted to the rear rack and wire baskets.

with a small load the milk crate does fine, but on days when I have to carry a couple of school books and my lunch the crates gets very full and very heavy. So much so that I notice it alot more when standing to sprint through an intersection.

with the toolbox and wire baskets I could put the weight of the school books lower and split the load on 2 sides. Use a small tool box just for my flat kit and lights.

Going to make some other changes first though. I do not like the bar end shifters I have so I am going to put downtube shifters on the bike. Also I am going to either get some wider platform pedals or put a set of old Look pedals I have on it. Leaning towards the BMX style platforms because I think those would be easier for riding around campus, plus wearing what ever shoes I felt like.

Last edited by Bolo Grubb; 09-18-06 at 11:59 AM.