Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride pics from the MS-150

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 03:27 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all!

Here are some pics from the MS-150 ride this past weekend -- enjoy!

First, here's one of me before the start (be kind... it was early, okay?)
Old 04-15-03, 03:28 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't get away from traffic on I-10 no matter what you do...
Old 04-15-03, 03:29 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the road, finally.
Old 04-15-03, 03:30 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a sight you get used to seeing at the break points -- when ya gotta go, ya gotta go!
Old 04-15-03, 03:30 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mother Nature put on her best show for this ride -- the scenery was fantastic!
Old 04-15-03, 03:32 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was an especially nice section of road -- smooth pavement, nice tailwind... the miles just go right on by. In case you were wondering, all of the road shots were taken from the bike while underway, not standing in the middle of the road.
Old 04-15-03, 03:33 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Eagle has landed! 100 miles to La Grange, my first century!
Old 04-15-03, 03:34 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In camp at the La Grange Fairgrounds -- BP had their balloon ready to go.
Old 04-15-03, 03:35 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunset over the campground
Old 04-15-03, 03:36 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was the 'secret' starting point nobody knew about...
Old 04-15-03, 03:37 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lunch stop at Bastrop.
Old 04-15-03, 03:38 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only does this guy have one of the most interesting vehicles you'll see on the ride, he's working hard and keeping up with the pack while suffering from MS. If he can get it done, there's no excuses for us!
Old 04-15-03, 03:39 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was another really nice stretch of road; nice wide shoulder that was smooth as glass with gentle rolling hills.
Old 04-15-03, 03:40 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touchdown! This is right after I crossed the finish line in Austin. The bandana was signed by Nancy, my Pedal Partner for the ride.
Old 04-15-03, 05:06 PM
Not Green, Celeste!!!

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome!!

Cool ride, nice people, beautiful scenery, and a good cause.

Does it get any better???
Old 04-15-03, 06:09 PM
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet pictures. I did not take any pictures along my journey. Only pictures I have are the ones my wife took in our team tent, and then the arrival pictures at the Sunday Finish Line.

Would you mind if I save a few of yours to my PC?

Also - where did you go for the secret start on day 2? - We started one and got boxed in.

Tks,

Matt

Last edited by pcsanity1; 04-15-03 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 10:18 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by pcsanity1
Would you mind if I save a few of yours to my PC?
No, I don't mind at all... they're there to share.

[i]
Also - where did you go for the secret start on day 2? - We started one and got boxed in. [/B]
See below:

The red line is the route that a few people used to use to get out early in past years, but now the gate to the overflow parking lot is locked in the morning and you have to queue up along the road. In other words, it ain't a secret anymore as evidenced by the 1000+ riders queued up there at 6:30 in the morning. It basically became a second start group, with the ride officials alternating start groups between the main group and our group. Given the growing number of riders they'll probably end up running two lines going out from now on.
Old 04-17-03, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about you, but I had a wonderful trip. I am ready to go again, but I really think I need to do a little serious fishing the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-17-03, 05:54 PM
suitcase of courage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
holy moly that's a lot of cyclists... how many people rode in this (total)?
Old 04-17-03, 06:14 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't seen the final total, but last year they had 10,000 riders and I saw bib numbers higher than that on the ride this year. The lunch stops and the overnight camp at La Grange were packed full of people, but the organizers still kept things moving reasonably well. I'm extremely impressed with the job they've done in managing the logistics of supporting so many people yet making sure that people have a nice ride.
Old 04-17-03, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool pics thanks
Joe
Old 04-24-03, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grendel, I wanted to hear more about your experience on your MS150 ride. Can I ask you a bunch of questions? I'm planning on doing my first one this July and I'm really nervous. I'll be doing 75 miles on each day.

What did you do with your bike overnight? Do they give you a place to lock it up? I'm seeing myself trying to find my bike amoung 10,000 other bikes.

How did you feel the second day? I'm pretty sure I can do the 1st day, I'm not so sure about the 2nd day. I've got a 10 week training schedule worked out, so hopefully by then I'll be ready.

What was your average speed? I'm thinking mine will be about 12-13 mph if there's not too many hills.

What did you carry with you? I'm thinking water, food (of course!), my camera, some money, a small first aid kit, extra tube and co2 containers. Anything else you wish you'd have carried?

Any tips or suggestions you have would be great. I'm really looking forward to this just to see if I have what it takes to push myself that hard.

I'll be riding by myself as none of my 46 year old friends will try this. They all think I've gone off the deep end. I figure this is a way to make new friends that have similar interests.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
Old 04-24-03, 01:55 PM
Clydesdale, for now.

Bikes: Giant Escape M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Grendel
This was another really nice stretch of road; nice wide shoulder that was smooth as glass with gentle rolling hills.

Lovely.....!
TARGET 168lbs
Old 04-24-03, 03:16 PM
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gun-n-gal -

Well, I am not Grendel, but I did ride this MS for the first time this year, I will share my experiences. Our ride was 100 miles on the first day and about 80 on the second day.

They do provide overnight bike storage. (You will get more info in your rider manual.) But...to avoid the lines in the morning (and to keep my precious bike near me) everyone in my immediate group carted our bikes to the hotel. (My wife and one of the other "widows" met us at the mid point and carted us along with 3 bikes / riders in each car to/from the hotel.) You claim your bike by rider number.

Average Speed: Day 1 = 17.9mph - a few hills but nothing killer. Day 2 was 16.8mph - hills all day. Two ways we could go - the easy bypass or the "hard" park - I chose the park. I figure if I am going to do it I am going all the way!

I was very energized on the second day. Though mentally tired, I was hyped from the first day being my first english century. (100 miles) I was doing regular weekend training rides in the tune of 70-80 miles + 3-4 other days per week at about 25 miles. All of this was tapered up over twelve weeks. I was riding about 40 weekend day / 18 weekday prior to the training schedule.

Things I carried with me:

Saddle Bag: Spare Tube, Patch Kit, 3 CO2, inflator, multi tool, and sunblock - which I loaned to several people. Also a small tube of Chamois Butter - Needed it to baby a saddle sore on day 2!

Jersey: Enough GU / Cliff Shot to last me through the ride - about enough for 1 every 45 minutes. Cell phone, cleat covers, and a protein bar. Also crammed my arm warmers in there when I took them off.

Camelbak: Filled my 70oz with Cytomax. Refilled at the mid point with baggies of Cytomax that I packed in the pouch.

I wish I had carried a disposable camera.

Most important tip: ENJOY YOURSLEF! Also, I think the hotel overnight was a great investment.

I would suggest that if you can find a team (I rode with my cycling club) that it is nice to have friends along for the ride. We started as a team each morning - broke off to groups of 2-4 people along the ride. I rode both days with one guy and had 2 others alongs frequently. The clubs are also an excellent way to get you training in and get used to the riding in a group. Also, participate in as many organized rides as possible prior to the MS.

Age does not have much to do with it. The couple from my club that my wife (non rider) and I took to the hotel with us are both in their 50's. He has ridden this several times, this was her first!

If you are not going the team route, you will still begin to see the same people along the route. Be friendly, talk with them, join a paceline- make friends.

Finally: Give yourself a big pat on the back and brag to all your friends that you did not spend the weekend on the couch in front of the TV. = While you are at it, hit them up for sponsorships!

Originally posted by gun-n-gal
Grendel, I wanted to hear more about your experience on your MS150 ride. Can I ask you a bunch of questions? I'm planning on doing my first one this July and I'm really nervous. I'll be doing 75 miles on each day.

What did you do with your bike overnight? Do they give you a place to lock it up? I'm seeing myself trying to find my bike amoung 10,000 other bikes.

How did you feel the second day? I'm pretty sure I can do the 1st day, I'm not so sure about the 2nd day. I've got a 10 week training schedule worked out, so hopefully by then I'll be ready.

What was your average speed? I'm thinking mine will be about 12-13 mph if there's not too many hills.

What did you carry with you? I'm thinking water, food (of course!), my camera, some money, a small first aid kit, extra tube and co2 containers. Anything else you wish you'd have carried?

Any tips or suggestions you have would be great. I'm really looking forward to this just to see if I have what it takes to push myself that hard.

I'll be riding by myself as none of my 46 year old friends will try this. They all think I've gone off the deep end. I figure this is a way to make new friends that have similar interests.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
Old 04-24-03, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good info pc...

I'm not Grendel either... but here's my .02.

Now I keep my bike with me overnight. Volunteers watch the bike parking area all night, and, when I did used it several years ago, they matched rider and bike numbers before you could take a bike out. I don't think theft has been a problem.

For me, the second day always seems easier than the first - it is shorter and I know that once I reach the end I'm going home.

I carry the bare minimum - tube, frame pump, patch kit, ID, cash, credit card. I use one water bottle and I carry no food. My theory is why should I carry extra water or food (lots of hills on day 2) when the volunteers have all that stuff waiting for me every 10-15 miles.

I would offer a couple tips. First, line up early and start early. I start before the official start time. That way there are less people on the road, so it is not as crowded and not as dangerous. Second, if you are wiped out after day 1, get a massage. I used to think that massages would not help, but I got one last year and I felt totally freshed for day 2.

Have a safe and fun ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.