Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rider Down at 40 mph - %$#@!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 12:22 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Despite the predictions of rain, we had beautiful blue skies yesterday morning when I set off with a dozen friends for an easy 35 mile ride that featured a stop for pancakes at a local volunteer fire station.

But, on the way home from our breakfast I found out how fast things can turn to sh*t.

We were coming down Cle*r Cr**k Canyon, west of Redding - it's a fun, swooping downhill with the canyon walls on the left and the river down below on the right. The traffic volume is typically low, and bike speeds tend to be 40+ mph. The pavement is reasonably smooth, but the right shoulder is narrow and collects plenty of debris.

I was the lead rider in our group, taking the lane, and riding at 40-45 mph when a pickup tried to pass me (he'd already passed the other members of our group). Unfortunately, the driver wasn't used to towing a long trailer (it was a rental that he was returning) and he tried to swing back in before he'd cleared me (he had to cross over the double yellow line to pass me, and there was a blind left hand curve just ahead too).

I saw the trailer coming at me, but too late...the rear wheels were wider than the rest of the trailer and they hit me, putting me down in an instant. Thankfully, I didn't crash into the trailer, or in front of the rear wheels (we think my pedals hit the sidewall of the trailer tire, due to some damage on it).

My friends were awesome - they helped me out of the road (after determining that I wasn't dead...several witnesses thought I would be). Made sure the driver didn't leave the scene, controlled traffic, and called 911.

The damage (after 5 hours in the ER):

Right hand - tops of 4 knuckles peeled away, resulting in 8 or 9 stitches.
Left elbow - about 1/4' diameter of bone exposed where the road ground into it (through arm warmer). It took about 6 sutures to close the elbow.
Left shoulder blade - another big divot, and road rash, but no exposed bone.
Left hip - a large section of road rash and bruising.

Clothing - shredded and/or cut off in the ambulance: undershirt, bib shorts, one of my favorite jerseys, tights, gloves, arm warmers. My helmet (Gyro Pneumo) took a major impact on the left rear - it's still in one piece, but the styrofoam is busted up. So, besides my cycling cap, socks and shoes, everything else I was wearing was toast.

Bike - too soon to tell. Bars are probably trashed, and probably the front shifters too. Rear der hanger bent. At least one tire shredded (it blew out while I was laying on the ground). Carbon fiber frame (it's a 2000 model Trek 5200) - will need to get it inspected.

In the Too Weird Department
After I left in the ambulance, the driver of the pickup was talking to the police and started to become woozy, sweating, and grabbed his chest. Fortunately, there were two retired doctors in my riding group and they helped stabilize the guy and administer oxygen and called for another ambulance. Apparently, the driver was a very overweight diabetic who'd had a previous bypass or stent and was due for another one within a week or so. He also had not taken his insulin that day and his blood sugar was around 450! Thankfully, I think he's doing OK (he wasn't a patient when I phoned the hospital this morning).

In the Kicking Myself Department
99% of the time, I ride with a Take-a-Look mirror attached to my glasses, but yesterday I accidentally left it on the counter as I was leaving for the ride. I think if I'd been wearing it, I would have seen the wide trailer before the guy tried to make his pass and would have either held him back, or been able to dodge the trailer tires in time. Lesson learned - don't ride without the %$#@! mirror!

And to those who say bike helmets are superfluous - here's hoping your unhelmeted head never impacts pavement at 40 mph.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to vent. Here's hoping everyone reading this rides safe...be careful out there people!

Last edited by SSP; 02-23-07 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-19-07, 12:25 PM
late braker

Bikes: eddy merckx majestic ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are one lucky rider. That's a very scary crash.
Old 02-19-07, 12:26 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets and mirrors? Psh.

I'd rather be dead than be a Fred.
Old 02-19-07, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well you didnt brake any bones, so you can ride today.
Old 02-19-07, 12:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oh man, that sucks. i'm glad you're gonna be o.k., it could have been a lot worse. i have a great lawyer here in santa monica that settled wifes bike accident, and a scooter accident i had. if you want his info p.m. me and i'd be happy to refer you.
here's to hoping you're back on your bike soon...
Old 02-19-07, 12:27 PM
free-basing user

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good god, man.
I'm glad to hear you're doing ok.

Now... where to buy one of those sunglasses mirrors.

Old 02-19-07, 12:28 PM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man! Glad you're ok, relatively speaking. At least you're still alive!
Old 02-19-07, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you are ok. That sounds like it was pretty bad. Hope the bike is alright too.
Old 02-19-07, 12:29 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Wowzer dude. Great to hear you survived without more damage to yourself. Going down at that speed due to an impact with a car, truck or trailer has to be up there on the % chance of getting seriously screwed one way or another. Not that having bone exposed to the air anywhere outside of an operating room isn't pretty bad. I don't leave the house without the helmet, ever, and your posts is making me seriously think about adding that mirror too.

Get well soon, hope your bike isn't completely toast, and hope the driver lives long enough to pay up your medical and bike repair bills.
Old 02-19-07, 12:30 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formula4

You'd better edit that post and put a smiley on it...otherwise, the next time I get out to Texas I'm calling you out.
Old 02-19-07, 12:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow, what a story, My heart goes out to you. you really were one lucky guy.
Old 02-19-07, 12:33 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 993guy
Good god, man.
I'm glad to hear you're doing ok.

Now... where to buy one of those sunglasses mirrors.

The Take a Look mirror can be found at REI, and lots of local bike shops. I've tried a bunch of different mirrors, and it's the best of all that I've tried.
Old 02-19-07, 12:35 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

And to those who say bike helmets are superfluous - here's hoping your unhelmeted head impacts pavement at 40 mph.
Good one. Really good one. And if they all hope that you keep crashing at 40mph to reaffirm your reliance on helmets?

Last edited by redfooj; 02-19-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-19-07, 12:36 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Glad you are okay - as a non-helmet wearing person, it is my policy never to GO as fast as you did. After all, the helmet only protects my noggin. You do know helmets aren't rated for the speed you were going - right?

I am still wincing from your injury list.
Old 02-19-07, 12:37 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
You'd better edit that post and put a smiley on it...otherwise, the next time I get out to Texas I'm calling you out.
I can't post a smiley here. It would have to be OCP, with the smiley riding a carbon Cervelo SLC-SL with downtube shifters to reduce weight even more. I just don't have time for it. But I did enjoy your post. ()
Old 02-19-07, 12:37 PM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow....eating pavement at 40+ mph ranks near the top of my list of things I hope to never accomplish in my lifetime. Glad to see you're relatively ok!

How's the concussion? I crashed last May at around 22-23 mph after hitting a granite rock that was on the white line of the road (didn't see it), and didn't get really any road rash to speak of, except a very small patch on my elbow.....no shredded clothing or anything, but I did hit my head on the ground, but with little damage to my helmet. However, I must've hit it just right, as I got a slight concussion and was off the bike for over a week.

I would definitely say new handlebars are in order, and definitely get the frame/fork checked out. I crashed on my 5200 as well, and while I bent the front wheel pretty good from hitting the rock (couldn't spin the wheel, even after releasing the quick release on the brake), my frame and fork were fine. Those OCLV's are pretty strong, but your impact was probably significantly harder than mine. I still remember, as I'm sliding down the road watching and hearing my bike flip around, end over end and sliding down the road....was "ah ****, my bike!". Then as I'm laying in the middle of a main road on the center line, I'm thinking I better get up quick so I don't get run over.
Old 02-19-07, 12:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSP
And to those who say bike helmets are superfluous - here's hoping your unhelmeted head impacts pavement at 40 mph.

Why? You got a thing for dead people?
Old 02-19-07, 12:41 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
wow, what a story, My heart goes out to you. you really were one lucky guy.
Thanks...I'm feeling better this morning (thanks be to vicodine), but I don't know if the emotional impact has fully hit me. I feel bad for the driver, but mostly I feel bad that I scared all my riding friends so badly.

My girlfriend was riding about 20 yards behind me and witnessed the whole thing. She said when she saw me go down and then not move right away, that she thought I'd been killed. It really upsets me that she and the rest of my friends had to witness that, but I'm very thankful they were there to take care of me.

And, at 54 years of age, the healing process seems to take longer each year. But, I guess it does beat the alternative!
Old 02-19-07, 12:42 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
Why? You got a thing for dead people?
Whoops...I mean to say "never impacts"...edited above. Sorry.
Old 02-19-07, 12:44 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
Good one. Really good one. And if they all hope that you keep crashing at 40mph to reaffirm your reliance on helmets?
My apologies - I meant to say "never impacts". Edited above.
Old 02-19-07, 12:47 PM

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like you, I am glad you are alive...

damn.
Old 02-19-07, 12:50 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Apology accepted - and I hope your hope comes true! (that my head doesn't hit at high speed)

I actually decided to stop wearing a helmet because I found myself trusting in the helmet to do things it was never intended to do. So, I ride slower now than I did. Now a days, I try never to ride much faster than I could run. I figure the body was meant to crash while running - anything above that gets a little more iffy.
Old 02-19-07, 12:56 PM
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
No pictures?

Come now.
Old 02-19-07, 01:00 PM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
Apology accepted - and I hope your hope comes true! (that my head doesn't hit at high speed)

I actually decided to stop wearing a helmet because I found myself trusting in the helmet to do things it was never intended to do. So, I ride slower now than I did. Now a days, I try never to ride much faster than I could run. I figure the body was meant to crash while running - anything above that gets a little more iffy.
You ride around at like 5-10 mph?
Old 02-19-07, 01:02 PM
Small Font

Bikes: Seven Alaris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formula4

You have now confirmed your stupidity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.