Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

1st Build Schwinn GSS

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

1st Build Schwinn GSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Vitus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st Build Schwinn GSS

Finished my 1st build. It's a Schwinn World, Ghetto single speed. Built on the cheap from 3 bikes for a whopping $77. I wanted this one to be cheap, and unappealling for someone to steal. It works great, rode for an hour this morning.

Plan to spin off the freewheel and put on a SS BMX freewheel. Measured the chain wrong, that's why I ended up on the smallest cog in the back. Good thing the horizontal drops have plenty of adjustment. (that was one of the main reasons for picking this frame for my first one).

The Sugino Idol crank and Brooks saddle came off the Maruishi I'm building as a SS.

Great to be able to hop on my bike and ride around the neighborhood with my son on his bike. Versus the time involved to get out the door on my road bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GSS2007_0401(001).JPG (67.2 KB, 85 views)