Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter beyond broken!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifter beyond broken!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 02:45 PM
Funding Impared Cyclist

Bikes: Iron Horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifter beyond broken! (HELP!)

i've recently become a mountain-biking enthusiast and do not know any reliable, fairly priced websites to purchase from. i have a broken shifter on my bike for the big gears (sorry i don't know the correct terms yet) and it is beyond broken. The gears, however, do shift when i put tension on the cable manually with my hand but the chain does not stay.

My question:
Would i be able to just put a new shifter on that is not the same brand? Or will i have to get a whole new gear system for it to shift correctly? i payed $5 for this bike... i do not want to pay a ton of money to fix it. i do not have a lot of money.

Last edited by flipjarg; 04-16-07 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will need a new shifter. Are you trying to the chain to shift at the front where the pedals are or the back on the wheel?

Most likely, in either case, you will probably have lots of options open to you for replacements. When in doubt take it to a smaller LBS in the area and explain the situation and they will likeyl help you match up a proper replacement for a reasonable budget constraint.
Old 04-16-07, 09:30 PM
Funding Impared Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The gears...

It is the gears by the pedals which i cannot shift. . i am unsure what the name of the shifter would be. Are there different names for the two shifters? Also, i'm new here, what does "LBS" stand for?

Thanks for the input. i guess i'll stop by a place that could help me out.
Old 04-16-07, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipjarg
It is the gears by the pedals which i cannot shift. . i am unsure what the name of the shifter would be. Are there different names for the two shifters? Also, i'm new here, what does "LBS" stand for?

Thanks for the input. i guess i'll stop by a place that could help me out.
Sorry, I get into shortand too easily.

"LBS" is shorthand for "Local Bike Store." I will not get into too much politic here, but find a shop that doesn't look too fancy... Some of the shops that are upscale may unfortunately reccomend against repairing a bike. A smaller local bike store will be more likely to give you a good honest opinion of what to do with it in my experience... Get a couple of opinions on it.

It sounds like the part that is broken is the Front Shifter. It's that Simple. The Front Shifter pulls the cable that runs to the Front Derailleur, the Rear Shifter pulls the cable that runs to the rear derailleur...
Old 04-17-07, 12:13 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
" big gears" = chain rings

" Would i be able to just put a new shifter on that is not the same brand?"
Maybe. If it's indexed, a SRAM or SHimano should work if it's equipped with either one.
If it's a friction shifter, most any brand should work.
Indexed= has clicks & numbers
Friction. Doesn't. You slowly push/pull the lever until it shifts. Friction in the shifter keeps the cable from going back to the small ring. They often have a wing nut or "D" ring on top to adjust the tension.

What kind of bike/shifters etc. do you have? Brand/model etc. Any info you can give will allow us to answer your questions better. Don't be shy!
Old 04-17-07, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
If it is a friction shift lever, maybe you just need to tighten it up. There should be a "D" ring on the mount screw or maybe a phillips head screw that can be tightened to keep the shift lever in the right position. Friction shift levers seldom break but they are pretty much interchangeable. Most shops will have a discarded parts bin that may have a shifter you can use. Don
Old 04-17-07, 12:35 PM
Funding Impared Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Shifter...

Well i am not quite sure about my shifter. When purchased the bike the front shifter was broken. It is completely jammed. i am pretty sure it was not a friction shifter. The back shifter on my bike is like a ratchet. It has a spring that pushes the lever back when i push it. Each time i push it back it tightens the cable.

The brake levers and shifters are made to go together on the bike. i don't know if it's after market or not. The sticker on them said "Shimano Altus A10". The bike is an "Iron Horse MT400" with no suspension.
Old 04-17-07, 01:01 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

"and it is beyond broken"
Is it pysically broken or just doesn't work? 2 very different things!!!

IF it doesn't have any obviously broken parts, they can often be made to work again by drenching the "innards" with a solvent/lube. Something like WD-40 can be used to flush it.
Old 04-17-07, 04:56 PM
Funding Impared Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is beyond BROKEN.

It is broken. Whoever owned it before me really beat the trash out of this bike. i'm planning on sanding it down and re-painting it this summer because there are a lot of spots where the paint was worn away and rust is forming. Some spots are small but most are very large.

Today i got a slide shifter from a Local Bike Shop for $20. i was offered a trigger shifter at another shop for $42. i think i found the bike shop i will be going to. Every person in there was working on a bike. So they must be doing something right.

i'm going to put the new shifter on as soon as i get a screw for my front derailer. i took the cable out because it was so loose and i wanted to avoid tangling it. The screw fell out! Probably in the woods. i plan on using this bike as a commuter bike as well as an offroad bike. Any suggestions for grips? The bike is a typical mountain bike with no suspension. i've got straight handlebars with the extra handles on the ends. i'm terribly sorry i do not know correct terms. It looks like this one.
Old 04-17-07, 06:20 PM
Really Old Senior Member

IF it's a Giant ATX 760, you should have a good basic frame.
Depending on the mix of road/dirt you plan on riding, toy might want to have tires that are appropriate. BIG KNOBBIES are a pita on pavement and are hard to pedal. Smooth tires aren't any good on dirt.
Old 04-17-07, 10:00 PM
Funding Impared Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm going to begin my search for multi-purpose tires i can afford... if they exist.

Thanks for the help everyone!