Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Instant Foods, Cooking-free?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 07:11 PM
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just tried some pistachio instant pudding, and can recommend it for hungry cyclists. It was very good.

I also tried vanilla plus pistachio mixed half and half. It was just as good.

And then I tried using less of the powder -- maybe half strength or so -- to make a thickened milkshake-like drink. It too was very good.

For those who've never tried them, these instant puddings come in powder form. You add the powder to cold milk (or lactose-free milk, if preferred) in a leakproof container (Nalgene bottle, Gatorade bottle, Powerade bottle, etc.). Then you shake vigorously for a minute or so. Then you let it sit for about five minutes, and it's very very good to go.

It's nice to have a set of no-cook favorites like this. (Sometimes, for one reason or another, you either can't do the cooking, or don't want to do the cooking.)

If anyone else has any discoveries or recipes or food ideas that are cooking-free and good for touring, please feel free to post.

Last edited by Niles H.; 11-20-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 08:30 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Milo!! https://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/milo/index

I was introduced to Milo in Australia. Here in Canada, we can only get the powdered drink mix, which is all right, but in Australia you can get Milo ice creams and drink boxes too. They really hit the spot!

In the absence of Milo, I'll go for the soy milk drink boxes. Unfortunately, here in Canada there is usually one brand on drink boxes, and often only vanilla (ok), or strawberry (yuck) left on the shelves. In Australia, even the small grocery stores usually had a whole selection of brands and flavors.

But as for being cooking-free ... you are talking to the QUEEN of cooking-free!! Nevermind touring, I try to live my entire life as cooking-free as possible!!

Some ideas ... let's think about the local grocery store ...

Bakery section .... Mmmmm-mmmmm. Everything in there is cooking-free!! Bread, buns, pastries, donuts, bagals, pita bread, cakes, cookies, pies. When I'm going to University (I don't have access to a kitchen), I like the cheese bagals - just plain - no toppings, and donuts for breakfast. When I'm on a tour, donuts and pastries also make a great breakfast or snack, and buns with cold meat, cheese, and tomatoes make a great lunch.

Fruit and veggie section ... pretty much everything in there is cooking-free too. Apples, bananas, and manderin oranges are some of my favorites, and they travel well. I'll go for kiwis or grapes for some variety. Tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers go well in sandwiches.

Dairy products ... there are yogurts and cheeses. Travelling in France, cheese was very inexpensive ... we lived on it! I don't know if a day went by where we didn't have cheese! And among many other kinds of cheeses, I fell in love with Baby Bels. Sadly, they are hard to find, and expensive here in Canada.

Meat ... there are lots of cold meats available in the deli and in the prepackaged cold meat section. These go well in the above mentioned sandwiches.

Oh, look at that, we just covered the 5 major food groups!

But as you walk up and down the aisles, you'll find all sorts of other things ...

Cereal ... I love granola cereals on tours ... the kind with all the fruit and nuts in them. Pour a bit of milk powder and water over top, and you're set.

Let's not forget about the aisles full of cookies, crackers, granola bars, cereal bars, and other snacks.

Head into the canned meat section, and you'll find these neat little packages with 'ready-to-eat' tuna and a few crackers all together. I eat those for lunches quite often in my non-touring life because they are so convenient. If you don't want to get the tuna and crackers as a set, you can get several flavors of 'ready-to-eat' tuna which you can use with buns or crackers of your own choice (or right out of the tin). Oh, and the tins have the quick release tops so you don't need a can opener.

Hmmm ... what else ... oh, canned fruit and individual servings of puddings. And packages of dried fruit (i.e. raisins and apricots) from the baking section. And nuts ... I love almonds and cashews, but some people also like peanuts. Which brings to mind all sorts of toppings. Some people like peanut butter (not me ... I have a bad reaction to it), but there are also jams, honey, cinnamon spread, nutella, and for the Aussies out there, vegemite <<shudder>>! Although I did have a liverwurst and vegemite sandwich in Australia, and it wasn't too bad. Maybe I just like liverwurst enough to be able to ignore the vegemite.

Have I covered it all yet? Just cruise through your local grocery store ... most of what's in there doesn't need to be cooked!!
Old 11-19-07, 09:05 PM
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vegan beer brats, anyone?

Tofurky Beer Brats: I just tried these for the first time a couple of days ago.

I'd heard some negative reviews about Tofurky; but the reviewers must not have been trying these particular models. The package says, "Tofurky Beer Brats, with Microbrewed FULL SAIL Ale" and "Gourmet, Meatless and Delicious". A package of four went for 3.55 US.

Each of the four 'brats' has 280 calories and 24 grams protein.

And they were the best vegan gourmet hot dogs I've ever had.

(Then again, when I am *very hungry* and in need of some calories, protein and other nourishment, many things taste wonderful, even things that taste sub-wonderful at other times.)

If there are any other vegan or vegetarian gourmet microbrew hot dog enthusiasts out there, these might be worth a try. &yummm.

Last edited by Niles H.; 11-20-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 09:09 PM
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Machka -- Thanks, I'll have to try some of those.

Part of this search is some insatiable need I have to keep trying and discovering new things.

(It almost seems like some kind of foraging instinct from way back.)
Old 11-20-07, 05:51 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Giant something or other, Panasonic Pro-Touring, Schwinn Varsity.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aahhh, food! I agree with everything that's been said so far! I really actually enjoy wandering the aisles of supermarkets, and have spent over an hour roaming a supermarket on a rainy day before! That probably sounds odd. It's mostly due to my obsession (and need) of finding the cheapest edible food I can, and partly due to the fact that I haven't learned to cook, so all of these things are new for me, and thus very fascinating.

Personally, I like peanut butter, as its energy-dense (unfortunately as a result also very heavy). Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches are very tasty. Apple with peanut butter is also great. Peanut Butter with all SORTS of things is tasty! Hmmm, I've been alternating capitalizing PB and not capitalizing it (pb).

I've also been living on those cans of flavoured tuna that Machka mentioned. I just get a loaf of cheap bread (something around US$1), a 185g can of tuna, and I eat half the loaf for lunch (w/ tuna, of course). THat's a lot of food, though.

I don't regularly eat super-healthily, but a couple of times a week I'll get an INTENSE craving for something green and good for me, and I'll go out and eat a head of lettuce and a couple of carrots and whatever else strays across my path!

I also echo cereal, especially Museli (is there Museli in America --Canada included? I've only been here in NZ for 90 days, but already can't remember. Maybe it's just called granola?!?)

Another thing is that lots of things are EDIBLE without (you) cooking, but may not be quite so appealing. Like pre-cooked sausages... And it depends on what you mean by "cook". Lots of things you can do with just boiling some water.

I especially like a hot jello. It sounds weird, but on a cold night after a long day's cycling when you're just exhausted, it's very tasty. Like the name implies, prepare some jello (orange and raspberry are my favourites) by the instructions on back (add X amount of nearly boiling water to powder in bowl. Mix. Refrigerate.), except for the refrigeration. Just drink it--or use a spoon. Very cheap if you don't get the name-brand stuff. Like, around US$0.30 per packet which makes .5L! Nice and warm, and very sweet! Probably too sweet for some people.
I'll have to give the pudding a go.

Also, instant "minute-rice" from some company like "Uncle Ben's" I've heard is good, although a little too expensive for my tastes. Again, that just takes some boiling water.

Along similar lines, couscous just needs boiling water poured over it, and to sit for about 5 minutes, after which, you "fluff it with a fork"--whatever that means!

I like the dried salami which keeps forever and is very flavoursome. This is also little expensive.

Could also try various different salads (regular green salad, bean salad, fruit salad, tuna salad, etc.)

A can of chilli-beans is good (unless sharing a tent with anyone else).

Fruit-wise, would also suggest dried dates, as they are incredibly cheap (here at least), and really energy-dense. Good emergency food.

Also, for food you don't have to cook, try befriending others (especially groups of people or families who already cook for more than one other person) who might possibly give you food until you're about to burst! I've met loads of people on my trip, and have been offered (which I have often accepted) several times to join people for dinner! Now, you don't want to look or sound like you're begging for food. More likely to occur in holiday parks (campgrounds), and motorcamps and backpacker hostels and other places with communal kitchens. Just start up a conversation with whoever's in the kitchen, and be yourself, and enjoy talking to them. A good conversation-opener is "So... What're you cooking?" BUT, don't depend on this for dinner, I'm just suggesting that sometimes the unexpected kindness of strangers will land you with a hot meal for the night! Of course, this works especially well for me, being a lone, male (and hence, NON-cook), EXTREMELY CHARMING AND GOOD LOOKING 17 yr old travelling by bicycle, as people's motherly instinct kicks in! And sometimes you end up with more than you bargained for (snails, recently). Just use your common sense, and follow your instincts! And if someone does offer you food, it's a nice gesture of appreciation if you clean their dishes for them once done. Wow, this reply is longer than intended!
-Ben
Old 11-20-07, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Trek 630 • Jamis Quest • Bilenky Tourlite and various others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my favorites: Beef Jerky (or pepperoni), hunk 'o cheese and maybe some crackers. Oh, yeah, and a pint of (good) rum.
Old 11-26-07, 08:27 AM
Bike4Peace

Bikes: old Trek Single Track with a Bob trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lean toward "just add water" foods: powdered soy milk; instant potatoes; hummus; instant oatmeal (works better with hot water); and spirolina. Mix and match at will. I also carry some curry, pumpkin pie spice, a squeeze bottle of avocado oil, and a salt & pepper shaker. Somebody gave me some powdered Gatorade, which I've been using, but there are better electrolyte replacements out there.

Of course, I buy fresh produce when I can. Bananas, avocados, and cantaloupe are among my favorites. Broccoli, carrots, and apples are great road foods. If I can only get canned, I go for pumpkin and mixed nuts.

Beyond nutrition, my comfort drink requires hot water. I've premixed Turkish coffee with stevia and creamer. A little caffeine can be good for a cyclist.
Old 11-26-07, 04:16 PM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As well as the common stuff, ask locals what they eat.
While in South America I was introduced to Harina Tostada, or toasted flour, which could be mixed with hot or cold water , or even milk, It tasted like shredded wheat. and very good energy.

george
Old 11-27-07, 01:53 AM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Peanut Butter.
Old 11-27-07, 02:32 AM
brooklyn bike rider

Bikes: bmw park bike, tonic fab supernaut, chromag stylus, traitor ruben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on tofurky sausages. i prefer their kielbasa or italian sausage to the beer brats.
super efficient, high protein, no cooking needed (tho it is better cooked) vegan food.
the last time i went hiking/climbing i brought these, with pita bread and hummus. tasty.
Old 11-27-07, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Instant Hummus is good. Put it in ziplock, add water and squish around until mixed well. It is great on bread, tortilla or crackers. Add some fresh veggies, cheese, or meat if you want. We enjoyed fresh avocado or sometimes cabbage. We found that cabbage kept well for several days even in 100 degree heat, so we used it instead of lettuce. Sometimes we bought a head and sometimes a bag of pre-grated.

Tortillas or crackers with foil packed tuna worked well for us as well. Sometimes we made a roll with tortillas, some combination of cheese, cabbage, avocado, and tuna or salmon.

PBJ, PB and banana, or PB and honey. All made a good lunch.

Not no-cook, but we liked dried refied beans, usually paired with instant rice for times when we needed to carry food for a while. When possible some kind of fresh vegetable went with it.

For snacks I liked to keep jerky, trail mix, or fig newtons in my jersey pocket.

Instant oatmeal was a quick and easy breakfast, but often we settled for a granola bar to get away quicker. Often we stopped for a second breakfast 10-20 miles down the road. That might be eggs, pancakes, waffles, some kind of baked goods, or biscuits with either jelly or gravy.

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-27-07 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 07:14 AM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While not "no - cook" - the Jet Boil system for heating water seems almost like no cook to me. Light, fast, EZ. I'm going to start taking it on my longer day rides this winter. Which would have been no cook before for sure!
Old 11-27-07, 11:41 AM
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
While not "no - cook" - the Jet Boil system for heating water seems almost like no cook to me. Light, fast, EZ. I'm going to start taking it on my longer day rides this winter. Which would have been no cook before for sure!
These seem to be the closest thing to instant cooking on the road. Some people pull over and fix a hot drink in just a few minutes -- very quick, virtually no setup time, built-in ignition, no priming, integrated pot, quick-heating....