Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

ABD 10k indoor TT (2/17)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

ABD 10k indoor TT (2/17)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 02:48 PM
this portrait of karma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ABD 10k indoor TT (2/17)

goals:
- pacing! don't blow up, finish strong
- avg 360w (4.34w/kg)

so i did my first TT on sunday, albeit an indoor one. i'd done a 20min tt the day before to re-test my ftp, so i had a good of how i wanted to pace myself.

arrived a little late and only had about 20minutes max of warmup time, far less than what i had hoped. luckily adrenaline took over and we were racing before i could blink. i looked down at my powertap cpu after about 10 seconds and ways pushing 400w...too high! there was another guy in my heat on a P3 who was really putting the hurt on, so i tried to keep up with him. the next twelve minutes were in the hurt box as i jacked up the ipod and divided my attention between P3 dude, my cpu and the projection screen showing the racermate data.

two minutes to go and i was huuuuurrrting... then i look up and it's the last tenth of a mile! so much for the 'really push it the last minute' idea. i finished something like less than two seconds behind P3 dude. but i was okay with that...

finished at 14:22.5 / 25.9mph / avg 363w (4.37w/kg)
this earned me second place in my category and a tshirt.

*caveat* i'm not sure if the computrainer was calibrated correctly and i should've been slower? my powertap came out as 363w avg / and over 26mph avg (can't remember exactly, not at home right now), but the computrainer put me finishing at 383w avg / 25.9 mph... so that doesn't seem to add up? am i wrong here?
Old 02-18-08, 03:50 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
How do those indoor TT's work? You bring your own bike and it will be strapped to a trainer? Or do you ride some kind of stationary bike?
Old 02-18-08, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had 250+ entrants for the TT, and ~230 actual contestants. Seems the potential weather hazards put some people off.

Basically, yes, you put YOUR bike on a computrainer. Just like any other trainer, but it has a powermeter/strain gage inside it to measure torque/cadence/power. Then, it takes into account your weight (they weigh you holding your bike before your race) and height (provided by you as well), and does some sort of calculation. Generally pretty accurate, but not always. I've seen plenty of wattage disparities, but it's not robbing people of 50+ watts, either.
Old 02-18-08, 04:07 PM

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And what's the point of riding a TT bike if you aren't actually moving? Is the power transfer better? I thought it was worse, but then again I don't know anything and haven't ridden on aero bars.
Old 02-18-08, 04:09 PM
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
We had 250+ entrants for the TT, and ~230 actual contestants. Seems the potential weather hazards put some people off.
that's awesome. looking at the preliminary results, 45 raced in 4. i should've raced in 3 because i would've won that category, hah.
Old 02-18-08, 04:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eb314
And what's the point of riding a TT bike if you aren't actually moving? Is the power transfer better? I thought it was worse, but then again I don't know anything and haven't ridden on aero bars.
The guy COULD be a triathlete, you know...
Old 02-18-08, 04:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by transplant
that's awesome. looking at the preliminary results, 45 raced in 4. i should've raced in 3 because i would've won that category, hah.
Do you happen to race for a "Team Pegasus"?
Old 02-18-08, 04:11 PM

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy COULD be a triathlete, you know...
Interesting...
Old 02-18-08, 04:17 PM
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you happen to race for a "Team Pegasus"?
thats me. were you there?
Old 02-18-08, 04:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, I can't torture myself like that, psychologically speaking, at this point in the year.

I do ride for ABD, though. Might be a ride leader for their Monday easy ride or Tuesday moderate/medium-hard ride this year, if the powers that be agree to it.
Old 02-18-08, 04:36 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Basically, yes, you put YOUR bike on a computrainer. Just like any other trainer, but it has a powermeter/strain gage inside it to measure torque/cadence/power. Then, it takes into account your weight (they weigh you holding your bike before your race) and height (provided by you as well), and does some sort of calculation. Generally pretty accurate, but not always. I've seen plenty of wattage disparities, but it's not robbing people of 50+ watts, either.
Interesting.. thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll try one in March.