Old 03-17-08, 07:44 PM
Racerboy Douchebaggery

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 305 Issues

I thought I'd post this since I know at least one other person has this issue...

My Garmin 305 developed this annoying habit of shutting off while riding, particularly when I hit a good bump. Being that I've had it for over a year it's out of warranty, but I read on Motionbased or somewhere that they could refurbish it for a reasonable price, so I contacted support via their website. I told them the issue via email, to which Garmin gave me an RMA and info to send it in. I did tell them it was probably out of warranty, but they didn't care. I figured they'd get it and after seeing it (it's got some damage from the multiple times the mount has broken and it's gone flying) call me and tell me no way. But, it was irritating and I didn't have much to lose, so I sent it to them two weeks ago via UPS ground.

I received one back from them today. I'm pretty sure it's not mine, the damage is gone and it looks brand new. So far, it works great, and they DIDN'T charge me anything, so if you're having issues with it like I was you may want to contact them.
Old 03-17-08, 08:41 PM
They Exist

Bikes: Yeti 575, Intense Tracer, Specialized Rubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpconrad
I thought I'd post this since I know at least one other person has this issue...

My Garmin 305 developed this annoying habit of shutting off while riding, particularly when I hit a good bump. Being that I've had it for over a year it's out of warranty, but I read on Motionbased or somewhere that they could refurbish it for a reasonable price, so I contacted support via their website. I told them the issue via email, to which Garmin gave me an RMA and info to send it in. I did tell them it was probably out of warranty, but they didn't care. I figured they'd get it and after seeing it (it's got some damage from the multiple times the mount has broken and it's gone flying) call me and tell me no way. But, it was irritating and I didn't have much to lose, so I sent it to them two weeks ago via UPS ground.

I received one back from them today. I'm pretty sure it's not mine, the damage is gone and it looks brand new. So far, it works great, and they DIDN'T charge me anything, so if you're having issues with it like I was you may want to contact them.
Sounds like top notch customer service to me!
Garmen deserves Kudos for this.
Old 03-17-08, 09:00 PM
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience with Garmin, they didn't care how old the unit was nor did the ask for any proof of purchase or receipt. They just said send it back and a new one arrived on my doorstep.

As a matter of fact they did a cross ship to me so I wasn't without the unit at all.

Good customer service. That is partially why I bought a Edge 705 now (well the 20% off helped too ).
Old 03-17-08, 09:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe I can bring it up in this thread. A friend has a Garmin that registers about 1.5 miles an hour lower average than my $15 Performance Axiom cheapo and Gina's top-o-da-line $30 Cateye over a 40 mile ride. After roll out tests and some minor tailoring, we get consistent readings while his multi million dollar machine average speed registers very low.

He says it reads off a Georgia Satellite or something like that. Too complicated for me to understand.

Is this true? Is there a way to adjust the readings or does it edepend on the satellite thingy?
Old 03-17-08, 09:35 PM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like his Garmin is reporting avg speed including stop time where your computer pauses and doesn't include stop time. I don't look at avg speed on the device, just after I upload it and then both avg speeds are available.
Old 03-17-08, 09:46 PM
They Exist

Bikes: Yeti 575, Intense Tracer, Specialized Rubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Maybe I can bring it up in this thread. A friend has a Garmin that registers about 1.5 miles an hour lower average than my $15 Performance Axiom cheapo and Gina's top-o-da-line $30 Cateye over a 40 mile ride. After roll out tests and some minor tailoring, we get consistent readings while his multi million dollar machine average speed registers very low.

He says it reads off a Georgia Satellite or something like that. Too complicated for me to understand.

Is this true? Is there a way to adjust the readings or does it edepend on the satellite thingy?
Beanz and Gina are just faster than he is...
The solution is for you to slow down..
Old 03-17-08, 10:14 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew12
Beanz and Gina are just faster than he is...
The solution is for you to slow down..

No, he's faster than the both of us put together!
Old 03-17-08, 10:18 PM
I'm Just Sayin'.....

Bikes: A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjon10
Sounds like his Garmin is reporting avg speed including stop time where your computer pauses and doesn't include stop time. I don't look at avg speed on the device, just after I upload it and then both avg speeds are available.
+1.....the 305 is all about the "all in" numbers!!!!
Old 03-17-08, 10:29 PM
Idiot

Bikes: Kirklee(custom), GT GTR Ultra, Salsa Mamasita

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To accurately read speed it needs at least 3(think triangulate)satellites. Most of the time it will pick up about 9 and is pretty accurate. The more satellites it picks up the better the reading. From what I gathered on future weapons one satellite is just for spying,weather, or taking photos. While it takes several to guide bombs, missiles, or your bike.
Old 03-17-08, 10:41 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know if this is because I have an Edge 205, but I find it takes 5-10 minutes for the satellite to give me a good signal. Perhaps this is one of this "send it in, and we'll send you a new one" type of deal?

My Cycling Blog
Old 03-17-08, 10:57 PM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a view from the motionbased service with the two avg speeds shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
speed.JPG (13.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-18-08, 07:41 AM
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scootcore
+1.....the 305 is all about the "all in" numbers!!!!
You can set the Garmin to auto pause. I have mine set to under 3 mph which allows me to roll slowly up to red lights without recording.
Old 03-18-08, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Raod Bike & Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spingineer, your device sounds normal to me.
It takes these devices (edge 205/305) about 5 minutes to get a good signal. I have changed my ride ritual to include time for this. I take my bike (with the edge 305 mounted) outside to check on the weather. I then power on the edge and go back inside to put on shoes and jacket or vest. The stats these devices provide are enough to make an engineeer curious! Instead of using Garmin Training Center I use Sport Tracks 2 from www.zonefivesoftware.com. With lots of your data and some useful plugins you can possibly determine what works best for you. YMMV.....
Old 03-18-08, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
shame this thread is hidden in a regional forum. It would be a lot more helpful in the road forum.
Old 03-18-08, 12:03 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
shame this thread is hidden in a regional forum. It would be a lot more helpful in the road forum.
That's rather odd, Garysol. I just did a search of the Road Cycling Forum and found pages of threads all about the Garmin 205, 305 and even an anticipation thread of the new fancy garmin (705, I believe). Tons of info over there. Here are some links that may help you:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=garmin

After all, I couldn't believe that this little thread over here in our regional section trumps over 25 threads about garmins (and their issues, help, resources, etc.) over in Road Forum. Good to know...I was correct.
Old 03-18-08, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by merider1
That's rather odd, Garysol. I just did a search of the Road Cycling Forum and found pages of threads all about the Garmin 205, 305 and even an anticipation thread of the new fancy garmin (705, I believe). Tons of info over there. Here are some links that may help you:
Rather odd? Please don't patronize me. This thread has NOTHING to do with Socal at all. It is the NEWEST thread on the 305 so it MAY or MAY NOT be of interest to many members of BF. All I was saying was that this thread may be of interest to a broader audience then just those within a certain border.
By posting your links are you saying that this thread should not exist at all because there are others? That's ludicrous.
Old 03-18-08, 12:17 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rather odd? Please don't patronize me. This thread has NOTHING to do with Socal at all. It is the NEWEST thread on the 305 so it MAY or MAY NOT be of interest to many members of BF. All I was saying was that this thread may be of interest to a broader audience then just those within a certain border.
By posting your links are you saying that this thread should not exist at all because there are others? That's ludicrous.
I'm not patronizing anyone. I'm pointing out to you that this thread does not belong in Road Forum as there are over 25 threads there already on the subject. The Garmin 305 isn't new and issues with it aren't either (trust me, I've had mine for over a year and it's a P.O.S.). I didn't suggest that this thread shouldn't exist at all (where did you get that nonsense?). I'm suggesting that it is fine here in So Cal. We in So Cal talk about all types of topics dealing with cycling and I would think it okay for us to discuss Garmin issues as well. Would you like the OP to request that the Mods change the title to So Cal Garmin 305 Issues so that you feel it is in it's proper place?
Old 03-18-08, 12:22 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpconrad
My Garmin 305 developed this annoying habit of shutting off while riding, particularly when I hit a good bump...I received one back from them today. I'm pretty sure it's not mine, the damage is gone and it looks brand new. So far, it works great, and they DIDN'T charge me anything, so if you're having issues with it like I was you may want to contact them.

I'm going to do the above, John. As you know, I've been having the very same issue since January. I hate the stupid thing to be honest and am considering going back to a Cat Eye. But that's just me.
Old 03-18-08, 01:04 PM

I'm not patronizing anyone. I'm pointing out to you that this thread does not belong in Road Forum as there are over 25 threads there already on the subject. The Garmin 305 isn't new and issues with it aren't either (trust me, I've had mine for over a year and it's a P.O.S.). I didn't suggest that this thread shouldn't exist at all (where did you get that nonsense?). I'm suggesting that it is fine here in So Cal. We in So Cal talk about all types of topics dealing with cycling and I would think it okay for us to discuss Garmin issues as well. Would you like the OP to request that the Mods change the title to So Cal Garmin 305 Issues so that you feel it is in it's proper place?
JPCONRAD the OP had a specific issue with his 305 that I don't think was included in those threads that you were nice enough to search and post for me merider. Do you honestly believe that the only members of Bikeforums that may find his remarks helpful are the ones that live in your region? If not then this thread would be more helpful out in the roadforum. I don't see why you want to fight about this?
The number of cyclists is small enough. Why not share your NON REGIONAL info with everyone?
For the record.....I loved my 305 and Garmin was always there to answer my questions.
Old 03-18-08, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to do the above, John. As you know, I've been having the very same issue since January. I hate the stupid thing to be honest and am considering going back to a Cat Eye. But that's just me.
Hey ME,

The last I heard from you in socal is that you never really got to know it very well. Have you started to understand it better over the last year? I ask because you called it a POS...three or four of us use the 305, ride together and the stats are within a tenth of a mile of each other or the same (small differences in starts and stops will make differences). Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours.
Old 03-18-08, 02:30 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JPCONRAD the OP had a specific issue with his 305 that I don't think was included in those threads that you were nice enough to search and post for me merider. Do you honestly believe that the only members of Bikeforums that may find his remarks helpful are the ones that live in your region? If not then this thread would be more helpful out in the roadforum. I don't see why you want to fight about this?
The number of cyclists is small enough. Why not share your NON REGIONAL info with everyone?
For the record.....I loved my 305 and Garmin was always there to answer my questions.
Not wanting to fight about anything, Gary. It's just a pet peeve of mine that someone who obviously knows how to use the search function finds a thread here, deems it non-regional (whatever that means) and then suggests that it is a "shame" that this "hidden" thread isn't over in the Road Forum (i.e. it sounded as if you were implying it should be). Therefore, I did the obvious and started a thread over in the Road Forum just for you: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/398835-garmin-305-issues.html

See, win-win? Now, the Road Forum has 26+ threads about the 305 Garmin and we have our less than 10. They also now have the info that you think should be disseminated among the masses who clearly don't know how to use the search function on this forum and who clearly can't come into the regional forums on their own (didn't know the regional forums were secret or private...gosh, learn something new every day). If you really want to help the other members on Bike Forums out, feel free to cut and paste any other useful info that's in this thread over there in that thread...or just put a link to this thread. I mean, we don't want anyone left out!
Old 03-18-08, 02:36 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1955
Hey ME,

The last I heard from you in socal is that you never really got to know it very well. Have you started to understand it better over the last year? I ask because you called it a POS...three or four of us use the 305, ride together and the stats are within a tenth of a mile of each other or the same (small differences in starts and stops will make differences). Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours.
Ralph, that was last year. I do know how to use it but I find it varies greatly between Garmin users I ride with. I've had the elevation be off on Baldy and in the Santa Monicas while riding with other riders using the 305 (as in, mine would record 3,000 feet of climbing and another member's would record 4,000 feet of gain!!! That discrepancy is too much). I've also had the very problem John has had with the garmin shutting off on me. I rode GMR recently and it shut off on the way down. It also shuts off over bumps (a common problem of the garmin, so I've been told).

I'm just not impressed with it and think for the money, it's a lot of hype. But then again, look at me? I'm a woman who wears mismatched jerseys, a visor on my helmet and doesn't keep up on the latest and greatest. A Cat Eye was fine for me.
Old 03-18-08, 02:39 PM

See, win-win? Now, the Road Forum has 26+ threads about the 305 Garmin and we have our less than 10.
We have our less than 10**********? Why do you have this us versus them mentality? We are all cyclists. We are all forum members. Why divide into this we and you thing? I just don't get it but that's ok.
Old 03-18-08, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ralph, that was last year. I do know how to use it but I find it varies greatly between Garmin users I ride with. I've had the elevation be off on Baldy and in the Santa Monicas while riding with other riders using the 305 (as in, mine would record 3,000 feet of climbing and another member's would record 4,000 feet of gain!!! That discrepancy is too much). I've also had the very problem John has had with the garmin shutting off on me. I rode GMR recently and it shut off on the way down. It also shuts off over bumps (a common problem of the garmin, so I've been told).

I'm just not impressed with it and think for the money, it's a lot of hype. But then again, look at me? I'm a woman who wears mismatched jerseys, a visor on my helmet and doesn't keep up on the latest and greatest. A Cat Eye was fine for me.
If you sent it in and it then worked for you as advertised...would you then think it was worth the money? Or are there just features you don't want or need?
Old 03-18-08, 02:49 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have our less than 10**********? Why do you have this us versus them mentality? We are all cyclists. We are all forum members. Why divide into this we and you thing? I just don't get it but that's ok.
You're correct. You don't get it. I was being sarcastic. I'm over in the Road Cycling Forum all the time, but I don't feel that I or any other member in any of the regional forums should have to be so hypersensitive to the needs and feelings of the members on Bike Forums who can COME OVER HERE ANY TIME THEY PLEASE.

But now that you bring it up, why the hell aren't the guys over in the Road Cycling Forum putting links over here to their threads? Why do I have to go into Road Cycling to read the 25th thread on the same subject? Doesn't seem fair to me, and I do believe you are the pot calling the kettle black.

But to show you that I'm a good sport about it and all: https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...77&postcount=3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.