Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

clipless vs caged

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

clipless vs caged

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 04:01 PM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts
clipless vs caged

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of feedback here. I'm purchasing a new bike, OCR2. It comes with clipless pedals. I'm actually thinking of swapping them out for caged variety. The reason I want to do this is because 1) I've been riding an old bike with standard pedals forever and don't have bike shoes. I really don't want to spend the extra $$ right now for shoes. 2) I don't do big miles, mostly neighborhood rides, 10-20 miles or more on a weekend, etc. so it is not a big deal to me. 3) I ride with my 9 year old sometimes and we do end up walking or sightseeing on the way and it would be a pain in bike shoes.

I assumed that if I really get into biking more miles, I could always switch these back again. Yes, I know the clipless are much more efficient, but I'm willing to take the trade off.

Thanks for any opinions...

Sheldon
Old 11-20-03, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those a good reasons for going with the old toe clips, but since you are getting a new bike, maybe the LBS will swap out the road clipless pedals for MTB clipless (SPD) This will allow you to walk in the bike shoes, when you get them later.
Old 11-20-03, 04:39 PM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I switched to clipless back in the late 80s or early 90s and haven't looked back.

However, if you have no intention of buying bike shoes standard pedals certainly make sense.
Old 11-20-03, 04:46 PM
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hm. I always suggest clipless, for everyone. Go with Andrew's suggestion and get some double sided clipless pedals with cleats small enough to let you get a shoe that you can walk on. You'll find shoes for the kind of riding you want to do are not prohibitively expensive, and you can always get another pair down the road.
Old 11-20-03, 06:57 PM

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon, I think you have the right idea. For your riding purposes, the toe clip pedals will suffice and still allow you to wear regular shoes. The problem with the SPD's is that if you aren't wearing bike shoes, you don't have the toe clip either. This is what you are trying to avoid. The clipless pedals are much, much more effiecient but they don't seem to be what you need right now. I say go with the toe clips.
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .
Old 11-24-03, 08:17 AM

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Huffy cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Sheldon, As you said, riding with the kids often amounts to as much time spent off the bike as on it. I have cages on mine and ride 300 miles/wk. I probably don't know what I 'm missing, but until the price of clipless/shoes comes down or my wage goes up - the cages seem to meet my needs!
Old 11-24-03, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBRiding
Hey Sheldon, As you said, riding with the kids often amounts to as much time spent off the bike as on it. I have cages on mine and ride 300 miles/wk. I probably don't know what I 'm missing, but until the price of clipless/shoes comes down or my wage goes up - the cages seem to meet my needs!
Thanks. I am picking up my bike this afternoon and had them swap out the clipless. For me, I think it's the best way to go also.

Sheldon
Old 11-27-03, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Huffy cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Thanks. I am picking up my bike this afternoon and had them swap out the clipless. For me, I think it's the best way to go also.

Sheldon
There is some good feedback on pedals/shoes in this forum. (While I haven't figured out how to efficiently navigate thru this site, I did a search for "shoes" that produced alot of helpful discussions on the topic).