Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

spring steering-stabilizer thingy?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 03:57 PM

Bikes: 1965 Hetchin's, 1977 Galmozzi, 1956 Rochet, 1947 Gnome et Rhone, 1972 De Rosa, 1948 Bates B-A-R, 1989 Trevor Jarvis (Baines) "Flying Gate", etc.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

When I lived in Holland, I bought a little device for my Gazelle opafiets that really helped when I had to carry the bike up or down stairs. It was a spring about the size of ones finger that mounted to the underside of the downtube just behind the headtube on one end, and to the back of the top of the forks at the other. Basically, a steering stabilizer. The spring's torsion kept the forks pointed straight ahead unless pressure was applied to turn the handlebars.

Unfortunately, not only can I not find them here in SF, I don't even know what they're called. Anyone know what I'm talking about or where they might be found?
Old 06-08-08, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My father's Biria has one.
I think it is just a spring. You should be able to get one at a hardware store.
Old 06-08-08, 05:24 PM

Bikes: 1965 Hetchin's, 1977 Galmozzi, 1956 Rochet, 1947 Gnome et Rhone, 1972 De Rosa, 1948 Bates B-A-R, 1989 Trevor Jarvis (Baines) "Flying Gate", etc.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Well, I agree that the majority of the device is a spring, but there's a fairly specialized downtube bracket that one end of the spring attaches to, and the other end of the spring sticks out with a small loop, to attach to the back of the forks. I suppose that in a worse case scenario, I could farm up some sort of bracket, but then I could also try ordering a proper stabilizer device from Halford's in the Netherlands.
Old 06-08-08, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know what they are called. But you can get the same effect with a velcro ankle strap looped around the front wheel and the down tube. You will have to remove and re apply each time though. Keeps the fork/bars from turning. Also great for leaning a bike against a wall, as every now and again my bike will fall because the fork/bars turned.
Old 06-09-08, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is`nt it also possible to buy a headset with this sort of "bi effect"? Ment for tourers and heavyli loaded bikes. Remember reading about it, think it is from a book. I think a lot of smart bikerelated gadgets has been invented, but selling them could be a problem since nobody knows. Hope the internet can change that.
Old 06-09-08, 05:40 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're looking for one of these, right?

It looks like Velorution in the UK has it. Also, The Urbane Cyclist in Toronto is the Hebie distributor in North America. Perhaps they can help you.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 06-11-08, 05:56 PM
Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with an elastic band looped round the downtube and secured on the valve?
Old 06-11-08, 06:21 PM
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You mean the valve of the inner tube?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 06-12-08, 05:11 PM
Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it would take ten seconds to do before carrying your bike up and down stairs, moving it through tight spaces or keeping it steady in a work stand. Obviously you couldn't ride the bike before first removing the elastic band and stowing it in a pocket.

It's probably not as ideal as a custom made steering stabilizer but I'm just saying it might be a cheaper and easier solution that purchasing the stabilizer and fitting it to the bike.
Old 06-13-08, 03:34 AM
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll pass, thanks. (allergic to natural rubber latex)
Old 06-13-08, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
I'll pass, thanks. (allergic to natural rubber latex)
If you aren't already doing it, cut cross-sections of an inner tube make a pretty good rubber band for general use. I like to rubber band the contents of my seatbag to stop them rattling, and the latex ones degrade here in the smog of los angeles.
Old 07-05-09, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Steering Stabilizer

rch77-- The itthe steering stabilizer you asked about nearly a year ago is the steering stabilizer made by Hebie of the Netherlands. It has the numbers 695 on the package. I just got one today from Aaron's Bicycle Repair, in Seattle,for $20. You can reach them at rideyourbike.com.

I was searching for installation info when I found your post and thread.

Get in touch with Aaron or Gregg at the shop and they should be able to help you.

Also, you can search for it on the web at https://www.hebie.de/fileadmin/user_u...ahre_72dpi.pdf. that will get you their catalog. Best if you can read Dutch.

Good luck!

Billy L.
Old 07-06-09, 09:59 AM
Riding the road to PARADISE...RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Billy L, would you mind writing up a quick review of this after you've ridden with it a few days? I just came across this thread myself, and was wondering if it would be worth trying to rig up something like this. I'd be interested in hearing if you find it useful, how it affects the bike, etc.
Old 07-10-09, 06:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ian-- I put the stabilizer on though it took me a few minutes to figure out how. Seems to work OK. The only time you really notice it is when you are walking the bike and turn the handle bars in a really tight turn. I got it to keep my front wheel straight to avoid my loaded baskets causing the bike to fall over when using the kickstand. BL
Old 07-10-09, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A similar function was served by the old Rhodegear "Flickstand" which mounted on the downtube and was spring loaded to normally stay above the tire but could be flipped down to hold the tire in position when leaning the bike against posts or carrying it. (But it wasn't designed to work with fenders.) Here's an eBay listing:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Flick-Stand-By-R...08185006r15064
Old 07-12-09, 01:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of months. It's great. Stops the front wheel on my Xtracycle swinging around (and possibly damaging my fork mounted dynamo light) when the load on the back causes the front wheel to lift off the ground. Very handy when the bike is parked and can't tell the difference when riding. I got mine from onderdelenmetshop.nl They shipped to Australia no probs.
Old 08-01-09, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone in the US wants a Hebie stabilizer without having to order from Europe let me know.

I just ordered one for €17.50 ($24.94) + shipping from the NL but when I went to install it I realized that it wasn't going to work on my Raleigh roadster b/c of the rod brake on the downtube. The package was opened but otherwise it's 100% new. I'll pay the stupidity tax and let it go for $20 shipped in the US if anyone's interested. Figure I'd offer it here before I put it on eBay (my ebay id is occasionalfx).

Best wishes,

John Salmon
Philadelphia, PA
Old 08-04-09, 07:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John: I'll take that off your hands if you still have it. I'll shoot you a PM in a second.

Another place to get these stateside is from Yuba, makers of the Mundo cargo bike. They call it the "Deflopilator" for obvious reasons. They're asking $33 shipped.
Old 08-04-09, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the interest, but the Hebie stabilizer is SOLD.

Best,

John