Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Upgraded (modded) Downtube FS 2007

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 04:58 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Overview of my upgraded Downtube FS 2007:

Change the JuJu gears for a trigger shift with Shimano Deore derailleur and new Sachs chain:

Front view with computer, Bontrager grips and Electron Nano 9 front light (great power & brightness for money). Also MKS-FD6 folding pedals

To be added soon with pics:
1) Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres
2) Bontrager seatpost with Trek Interchange bag

Almost rides as good as a Birdy now. Shifting has improved a lot but would like to increase gears at the higher end.

Last edited by mulleady; 06-24-08 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-23-08, 05:39 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Doesn't look like it has a replacable chain wheel. How many teeth in the front?
Old 06-24-08, 12:45 AM

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mully/Jur, I have a DT IXFS on order, and thought about pulling the Juju gears for a trigger shift. Did you need to change the RD cable? Could I just swap the RD and use the original shifter? (I'm betting no)

And are the Deore bits hard to find?

-

Sue
Old 06-24-08, 02:07 AM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bike mechanic at Action Bikes changed the cable from 5mm to 4mm which worked better. I felt the cable developed too much slack when folding/unfolding reducing the efficiency of the gear change. I'm not technical enough to advise you on combining the juju with a trigger shift and will pass that one on to Jur. Action Bikes happened to have the Deore bits in stock. Also check ebay as follows:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Deore-LX-Rear-Derailleur-Silver_W0QQitemZ220248179347QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220248179347&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|65%3A12&_t rksid=p3286.c0.m14

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Woolly-Hat-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Not sure if this trigger shift is compatible with all Deore derailluers below:
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...roductID=11060 and
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...0975&catID=579

Last lot should work together. Although I'm good on understanding and researching products I'm not that savvy on the technical areas of bike components. I do know what I want though.

If it wasn't for the 50% EU dumping tax added to Downtube's bikes from the US, I'd have shipped in the Downtube FS H 8 speed (hub) bike ages ago. I'd love the 8 speed hub on this frame. I'm a hub fanatic really.

Last edited by mulleady; 07-27-08 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 04:35 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent, thank you. I have a small history of buying stuff that doesn't fit. I'll get the bike, and take the above to my LBS.

I prefer dérailleurs over hubs, you can watch them being ripped off by tree roots, etc
Old 06-24-08, 05:08 AM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
Excellent, thank you. I have a small history of buying stuff that doesn't fit. I'll get the bike, and take the above to my LBS.

I prefer dérailleurs over hubs, you can watch them being ripped off by tree roots, etc
Could also test the derailleur to se eif it's rock proof. That's if you turn up at the next Hyde park meet
Old 06-24-08, 05:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mulleady
Could also test the derailleur to se eif it's rock proof. That's if you turn up at the next Hyde park meet

The challenge is on. I will bring my biotics, and my vile bacterial culture, you must bring your hopped-up scoot. If I got the DT then, we will see how immediately superior ORANGE folding bicycles are over ordinary black ones... Otherwise I'll just have to trundle along on the silly old Hammerhead.

Last edited by snafu21; 06-24-08 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 08:31 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
tea in keyboard moment !
Old 06-24-08, 02:17 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Littlepixed has been absorbed by the Dr Who fat aliens!
Old 07-02-08, 03:56 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've now added the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and a Bontrager Interchange Seatpost rack. I hope to get the following bag for the rack below; the Trek Interchange rear deluxe plus. What I love about this back is it slides on and fixes the rack and the outer side pockets contain fold out panniers. Folding bag for a folding bike! I've already cycled 20 miles along the canal towpaths into London yesterday and the bike handled all terrain with great aplomb! The Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres also roll lovely on normal roads, I'm very impressed with them. The Shimano Deore gears are shifting beautifully now. I have to say the bike rides close to a Birdy in terms of handling and shifting. The Downtube FS frame is such a great one to work with and upgrade.

Old 07-02-08, 05:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those marathons look awesome! i'm seriously considering some for my IXFS as well. did you get them online? i'm also looking into a new rear rack with quick release rack bag - i like the look of the topeak mtx trunkbag. any particular reason you went with the bontrager option?
Old 07-02-08, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice mods! i was thinking of upgrading my tires too.. deciding between the marathon plus vs big apple.. but that will be a bit away. but i got a question about your rack. i see that it is rated at 25lb carrying capacity. would you feel safe putting anything close to that amount on it? i'm kinda weary on having a cantilevered post supporting things like my laptop, etc. (using it for my everyday commute). and do you think the panniers will be a problem hitting your tires etc? or do you have a pannier rack to go with it?

oh yeah.. has anybody found a good solution for a kickstand?!?!

anyways, good work!
Old 07-02-08, 05:56 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeBloke
those marathons look awesome! i'm seriously considering some for my IXFS as well. did you get them online? i'm also looking into a new rear rack with quick release rack bag - i like the look of the topeak mtx trunkbag. any particular reason you went with the bontrager option?
Yes! I got it in a clearance sale when Action Bikes was closing down in Staines for £16. I also liked the look for my bike and the build quality. It is a strong rack with the compatible with the whole Trek interchange range of bags which I really like.

Biekbloke see my post just below re. te M Plus tyres.

Last edited by mulleady; 07-02-08 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 06:02 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by odang11
nice mods! i was thinking of upgrading my tires too.. deciding between the marathon plus vs big apple.. but that will be a bit away. but i got a question about your rack. i see that it is rated at 25lb carrying capacity. would you feel safe putting anything close to that amount on it? i'm kinda weary on having a cantilevered post supporting things like my laptop, etc. (using it for my everyday commute). and do you think the panniers will be a problem hitting your tires etc? or do you have a pannier rack to go with it?

oh yeah.. has anybody found a good solution for a kickstand?!?!

anyways, good work!
Thanks

I've seen the Topeak range in Evans Cycles, They are very nice too. A laptop wouldn't strain the stand and it would tend to have downward pressure on the clamp rather than pulling on the seatpost. Seatpost racks are better utilised with clip on bags or compatible ranges like Bontrager/Trek or the Topeak series. Panniers would tend to flap at the sides unless you have lower rails on the rack. I didn't need these or like the look of that option.

I think the Marathon Plus are nicer then the Big Apple and almost as thick anyway. I like the better protection against thorns for offroad and trail riding. The sidewall reflective strips work great as well. Lovely tyres. See:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHWALBE-20-X1...3286.m20.l1116

Excellent seller sent within a day and good value too.
Old 08-23-08, 04:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which one of these is your seatpost rack because they are both bontrager

Old 08-26-08, 04:22 PM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts