Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ISIS or Octalink

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ISIS or Octalink

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04, 02:39 PM
[Tak962]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ISIS or Octalink

One better than the other? FSA Carbon cranks come in both styles, and I can't decide.

thanks,

-Tak
Old 01-22-04, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you're at it, can you explain the difference? Until 2 months ago, I had never heard of ISIS.
Old 01-22-04, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itschris
While you're at it, can you explain the difference? Until 2 months ago, I had never heard of ISIS.
It's a splined spindle system similar to but not compatible with octalink. Dreamed up as a standard by a group of other aftermarket suppliers. Seem to be alot of issues with premature bearing failures.
Old 01-22-04, 03:56 PM
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I likeee the ISIS... never used Octolink though... I like ISIS much better than the tapered what-have-you's.
Old 01-22-04, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
octalink. its a lot easier and cheaper to get a shimano octalink bb then it is an ISIS. I know from experience here...
Old 01-22-04, 04:43 PM
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They must have the Octolink BB's at CVS then ; because I haven't had a bit of trouble finding ISIS ones in all flavors... bikeman.com has good prices on'em for one and its a local shop (ok, in Maine, but its still a "local" shop with a physical location)...
Old 01-22-04, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Pinarello, Gunnar, Ventana, CoMotion, Opera, Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isis

I use both, and really like the FSA Isis. I think the old Dura Ace was a terrible design - too many parts, but I just bought a new one that is 2 piece like everyone elses. Some people complained that the DA needle bearing design created a lot of drag, but I don't know.
I'd give a slight preference to the FSA Platinum Pro over the DA.
Old 01-22-04, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil from VA
I use both, and really like the FSA Isis. I think the old Dura Ace was a terrible design - too many parts, but I just bought a new one that is 2 piece like everyone elses. Some people complained that the DA needle bearing design created a lot of drag, but I don't know.
I'd give a slight preference to the FSA Platinum Pro over the DA.
All octalik is not DA.Nothing wrong with the DA bb,but one has to know how to install it and too many don't have a clue. DA is actually smoother,and with less deag.All in the installation and adjustment.The clueless should just quit griping and stick with ultegra.
Old 01-23-04, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Pinarello, Gunnar, Ventana, CoMotion, Opera, Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Da

I'm not disputing what you say, except your statement that DA has less drag. I don't know if that is true. I'm sure there is some website in Germany that has bench tested 20 BBs, but I have not seen it.
If the DA design is so good, why did the get rid of it? I've installed a dozen or so, and I think the old design stinks. Please don't tell me that it was just too complex for the average human.
Old 01-23-04, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil from VA
I'm not disputing what you say, except your statement that DA has less drag. I don't know if that is true. I'm sure there is some website in Germany that has bench tested 20 BBs, but I have not seen it.
If the DA design is so good, why did the get rid of it? I've installed a dozen or so, and I think the old design stinks. Please don't tell me that it was just too complex for the average human.
It's just not DA that shaimano has dumped. Octalink will be history. DA does get alot of bad press and it is from the average human that does not install it right.The average human should probably just stay away from it, but they can't becaues it's DA ,cost more and weights 49 grams less.
Old 01-23-04, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Sano, Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an FSA ISIS on the new bike, with the Megatech OS BB. The bearings are standard industrial bearings which just sit in the BB, so easy to obtain in the unlikely event they ever wear out.

I like the "open-standard" with ISIS and the Megatech BB...encourages the aftermarket and small frame builders. Shimano doesn't need all my business.

Don't notice any drag with this set up either. Compared to the drag of the chain, BB drag should be insignificant.
Old 01-23-04, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryK

I like the "open-standard" with ISIS and the Megatech BB...encourages the aftermarket and small frame builders. Shimano doesn't need all my business.
What does small frame builders have to do with it?
Old 01-23-04, 10:25 AM
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tommy2pants

Good Question...

ISIS has had it's share of failures.

LINK

Due to the over-sized spindle, the bearings are smaller and may wear faster. In mountain biking applications, ISIS failures are quite common if you believe the reviews on MTBR.com. I'm not sure how long they'd last on a road bike but why even mess with it when Campy and Shimano make perfectly fine products.

As for stiffness, the new 04 DA should be far stiffer than either Octalink or ISIS. Also, I've raced for the last two seasons on Chorus BB & Cranks and it's been plenty stiff IMO and don't know if I'd even notice a small percentage difference.
Old 01-23-04, 10:31 AM
newbie newbie

Bikes: Titanium Indy Fab 29" mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as Octalink goes I love it. Have it on both my road and mtb. When it comes to Campy though I have yet to find a square taper BB that I don't end up having to re-tighten the crank arms every 2-3 rides. Octalink on the other hand never seems to loosen.
Old 01-23-04, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Is Yet Another standard, which solves the ISIS bearing problem by using an extra-fat bottom bracket shell. Apart from providing room for larger bearings, the BB shell also gives a larger area for welding fat Al frame tubes.
Old 01-23-04, 02:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgesnatcher
. When it comes to Campy though I have yet to find a square taper BB that I don't end up having to re-tighten the crank arms every 2-3 rides.
That's just because you never did it right, or you rode it while loose, and buggered the arms and then it never will stay tight.
Old 01-23-04, 06:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tommy2pants
Aren't Cannondale and others are going to their own proprietary oversize BBs, away from the cartridge style? ISIS/Megatech give independents a way to go to oversize BB's as well on frames they build. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me.
Old 01-23-04, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryK
Aren't Cannondale and others are going to their own proprietary oversize BBs, away from the cartridge style? ISIS/Megatech give independents a way to go to oversize BB's as well on frames they build. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me.
Not incorrect,but maybe a solution looking foa a real problem.

Last edited by tommy2pants; 01-23-04 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 03:41 PM
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have an octalink BB. and while i've had virtually no problems with it so far (aside from my left crank arm coming a bit loos every once in a while) i really hate it. mostly because i don't trust the tiny, 3mm of splines that the crankarm is grabbing onto. i'd prefer to have an ISIS BB, just because there is more contact between the crankarm and the spindle. the ISIS failure that sheldon brown mentions was due to a really crappy design flaw in the spindle design, not so much the splines...

having said all that, of the three major types of bottom bracket designs, i prefer square taper. campy has been doing it for decades, and why bother changing something that works pretty flawlessly to begin with?
Old 01-24-04, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Ibex, Mongoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check https://www.truvativ.com.

You will find that TruVativ explains the ISIS BB very well.

As far as weight goes, the TruVativ Elita crankset is lighter than the comparable Ultegra crankset. So, if there's any weight advantage to the Octalink bottom bracket, it will be more than offset by the weight difference in the cranksets.

My last bike had a TruVativ Elita crankset and ISIS bottom bracket. Though I put thousands of miles on the bike, I never experienced a bit of problem.

According to TruVativ, the ISIS system is also more foolproof, so the local wrench, who may or may not know what he or she is doing, is less likely to muck up the installation or repair.
Old 01-24-04, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
They are both very good. I haven't had a bike with ISIS, but it looks good, and people seem to like it. I have an Ultegra BB, and anything that survives my tender ministrations is pretty good.
Old 01-24-04, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
i have an octalink BB. and while i've had virtually no problems with it so far (aside from my left crank arm coming a bit loos every once in a while) i really hate it. mostly because i don't trust the tiny, 3mm of splines that the crankarm is grabbing onto. i'd prefer to have an ISIS BB, just because there is more contact between the crankarm and the spindle. the ISIS failure that sheldon brown mentions was due to a really crappy design flaw in the spindle design, not so much the splines...

having said all that, of the three major types of bottom bracket designs, i prefer square taper. campy has been doing it for decades, and why bother changing something that works pretty flawlessly to begin with?
Shimano used the square taper for many years also with fine results. I think it's mostly about weight savings.....a hollow axle with some kind of splines should be lighter. Plus, I believe the crank arms can be designed lighter as well.

We could argue the value of saving a couple of ounces on a BB, but it seems that the quest for lighter weight has a great sales appeal.
Old 01-24-04, 07:37 PM
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
but....octalink spindles are bigger than square taper spindles...

i think if anything, it's more about strength than weight. BMX cranks had been using splined bottom brackets for years before shimano started doing it.

a round spindle might be stronger, but i still don't trust the thin-ness of the splines on octalink...i have heard a number of reports that the 105 cranks "stripped out" because the aluminum was too soft or something...which was why i went with an FSA gossamer crank instead. i highly doubt that i'll ever have a problem with any of it...
Old 01-25-04, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
but....octalink spindles are bigger than square taper spindles...

i think if anything, it's more about strength than weight. BMX cranks had been using splined bottom brackets for years before shimano started doing it.

a round spindle might be stronger, but i still don't trust the thin-ness of the splines on octalink...i have heard a number of reports that the 105 cranks "stripped out" because the aluminum was too soft or something...which was why i went with an FSA gossamer crank instead. i highly doubt that i'll ever have a problem with any of it...
But aren't octalink and isis spindles hollow, vs the solid square taper spindles? A bigger diameter, hollow spindle would be lighter and stiffer than a solid one.

Agree the ISIS splines look pretty strong. And I'm sure not expecting any problems with my new FSA Team triple crank coming loose either.
Old 01-25-04, 05:45 PM
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
all of the square taper spindles i've ever seen have been hollow as well...i'm looking at an older campy cartridge BB with a hollow square taper spindle right now, and the suntour track spindle that i have is hollow, and the shimano UN52 BB that i have on another bike is also hollow.

are you thinking of the REALLY old crusty spindles that have the "male" threads sticking out of the spindle and use nuts to hold the crankarms on?

octalink and ISIS are both oversized, and therefore stronger than standard square taper spindles. i think there are definite advantages to them, but mostly i feel like they relate to the mountain bike world where the bikes have to take more of a beating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.