Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bamboo LED headlight build

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 08:53 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was given some Bamboo by a neighbor who considers it a weed. First thing I did was find a section with an interior large enough a Fraen lens and holder would fit. I found one and cut it slightly longer than 2 inches. I then measured another section that would tightly fit inside and cut a narrow section about 1/8 inch. I used some glue to hold it tightly in place. this would become a stop for the lens. Here are a couple of photos ready for the copper heat sink, LED, and Lens.

I cut some clear plastic to protect the lens. A little glue holds it and seals the front.

I already had the Lens, LED, and heat sink.

A bit of toilet paper cardboard wrapped and taped around the lens holder prevents rattling.

Lens, LED, and Heat sink slides right in.

Front of headlight.

A little weather sealing RTV around the edge of the heat sink will keep the LED assembly firmly in place which I will apply later.
Old 08-25-08, 11:44 PM
?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Artistic, but how are you going to dissipate the heat? Unless you aren't planning to run it very high.
Old 08-26-08, 12:03 AM
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbubbles
Artistic, but how are you going to dissipate the heat? Unless you aren't planning to run it very high.
Old 08-26-08, 08:22 AM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrbubbles
I'm using copper sheet metal as the heat sink and powering it from my dynamo. I've been running that LED in a 1" PVC pipe coupler the same way for a couple of years with no over heating problems. My dynamo tops out at 700mA at speed so the LED is not being run at it's full 1000mA current rating so heat production is reduced.
Old 08-26-08, 08:42 AM
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very inventive concept, Scott. And I hope you took the "fire extinguisher" as the joke it was intended to be. I meant that in no way to dismiss your headlight invention. I think it's a very neat idea, and in the least a partial "going green" device...

I've always been somewhat fascinated by what could be done with bamboo and have had at times in the past some pretty big (diameter-wise) pieces I never quite did anything with except to admire.
Old 08-28-08, 09:10 PM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finished my headlight today just in time for Critical Mass tomorrow.
I was going to attach it to the bike with a couple of conduit hangers but after putting a coat of Polyurethane on it that conduit hanger would have been too ugly. I used a 1" corner bracket, hemp twine, and more Polyurethane to provide an attachment point. It turned out rather nice.

Old 08-28-08, 09:17 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So - you think it needs a heatsink, but you' ve wrapped it first in cardboard, then bamboo?
Old 08-29-08, 03:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cave
So - you think it needs a heatsink, but you' ve wrapped it first in cardboard, then bamboo?
This might not be obvious to everyone, but cardboard is actually a pretty good insulator.....

Old 08-29-08, 06:36 AM
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
drill some holes on the bottom for airflow....that should allow the heatsink to do its job better and still keep water from entering.
Old 08-29-08, 07:01 AM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ModoVincere
drill some holes on the bottom for airflow....that should allow the heatsink to do its job better and still keep water from entering.
The back of my copper heat sink is open so the little heat generated can easily escape. I've run this same LED and lens assembly in a 1" PVC pipe coupler with no heating issues. It's getting powered by my dynamo so it's running at 70% of rated maximum drive current of 1000mA. This reduces generated heat by almost half. I did a 3 hour ride last night just to make sure it would hold up for CM tonight. It worked fine.

Here is the old PVC pipe coupler arrangement.
Old 08-29-08, 07:47 AM
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
The back of my copper heat sink is open so the little heat generated can easily escape. I've run this same LED and lens assembly in a 1" PVC pipe coupler with no heating issues. It's getting powered by my dynamo so it's running at 70% of rated maximum drive current of 1000mA. This reduces generated heat by almost half. I did a 3 hour ride last night just to make sure it would hold up for CM tonight. It worked fine.
[IMG]snip[/IMG]

Here is the old PVC pipe coupler arrangement.
[IMG]snip[/IMG]
understand...but enhancing airflow across the heat sink could only be helpful. Would not require much, maybe a 1/8" hole or 2.

do you have any issues with moisture causing shorting problems since it looks like 1/2 your electronics are openly exposed.

Last edited by ModoVincere; 08-29-08 at 08:40 AM. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 08-29-08, 08:26 AM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ModoVincere
understand...but enhancing airflow across the heat sink could only be helpful. Would not require much, maybe a 1/8" hole or 2.

do you have any issues with morsture causing shorting problems since it looks like 1/2 your electronics are openly exposed.
The rectifier diodes and capacitor are encased in epoxy during the manufacturing process and rain water is actually a good insulator. Theres really nothing that fresh water or even soapy water is going to harm.
I ran this rectifier for a couple of years with no harm and still use it on another bike.

A little thermal glue seals the the front clear plastic over the lens and the edge of the heat sink. A trick I found which works very nicely to remove all moisture prior to sealing is to wrap the object to be sealed in a cotton shop towel and bury it in new unused cat litter for a couple of hours. This will remove all moisture. Then quickly assemble and seal with thermal glue like this FUJIK Silicone Thermal Glue. It's easily removed if you need to open up the sealed assembly later.
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4579
Old 08-29-08, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man, that is cool!

Need to make an organic hanger -- all that steel doesn't do it justice.
Old 08-29-08, 10:22 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
That is soooo Gilligan's Island

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-29-08, 12:07 PM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Wait till you see the LED taillight I'm building! Two packs of these.

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9075
and more Bamboo.
Old 08-29-08, 12:16 PM
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yeah, I've been thinking the whole time how proud The Professor would be. And it would be a heck of a way to impress Ginger and MaryAnn, thus moving the inventor up the list of the island's Most Desirable Males.