Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How cold does it have to get for you not to ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How cold does it have to get for you not to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 08:50 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This thread is a friggin Wussy Convention.
Old 11-19-08, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never met a day I couldn't ride
What about ice ?!
I'll let T.J. expand on this or call BS, but it's my guess that in Montreal, it may just get too cold and have enough snow cover for much ice to form on streets. I had relatives that we used to visit in January each year and man it gets cold...but it stays really cold, with that crunchy snow, so there is not as much chances for the cycle of melt-freeze-melt-freeze that we have here in Chicago, where black ice (and brown slush) are a real problem.

PS: haven't been up there lately. I do miss the wood-fired bagels and the middle eastern pastry, tho.

Last edited by Markj61; 11-19-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While all of the frigid riders are checking the thread, I'll ask a question here instead of making a new one.

How well do masks/balaclavas work, and what is a good brand? As I said earlier, my only problem with the cold is my lungs; if I can warm up the air enough to prevent an asthma attack, I will ride all year.
Old 11-19-08, 09:09 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Do you idiots need a warm hug yet?
Old 11-19-08, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus

How well do masks/balaclavas work, and what is a good brand? As I said earlier, my only problem with the cold is my lungs; if I can warm up the air enough to prevent an asthma attack, I will ride all year.
I use a basic Bellweather balaclavas. It is now 3 years old and works just fine. If you breath through the material it will eventually get wet and really annoying. I typically keep mine just below my lips unless it is in the teens then I will slide it up over my mouth.
Old 11-19-08, 09:13 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
-40C/F is the coldest I've ridden ... I could probably go colder, I just haven't tried it yet.

The thing is ... when it gets that cold, the bicycle starts freezing up a bit. And I'm sure most of you have seen this story, but here it is again:
https://www.machka.net/brevet/Coldest_Century.htm

Last edited by Machka; 11-19-08 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 09:15 PM
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it was 22*F and pitchblack out with fresh snow last night. Made for a great ride.
Old 11-19-08, 09:51 PM
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as the roads are dry, Ohio can't get cold enough to keep me off of them. However, if there is wetness/salt, it's on the *shudder* rollers.

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 11-20-08, 12:04 AM
100% car free

Bikes: 2008 LeMond Tete de Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done 15 f, at night and in the snow - that wasn't so bad. The worst is when it's 33 against the wind in strong freezing rain. A couple of weekss ago I was begging Mother Nature for snow. It did - right after I locked my bike.

I don't particularly like riding on ice, but I feel more comfortable than when I drive on it. Strangely enough, I get much colder taking mass transit (waiting and walking). Unfortunately, I can't just stay home all winter. So my bike gets me where I need to go.
Old 11-20-08, 12:30 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
You guys are all impressively rugged, said the guy from San Diego.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-20-08, 12:37 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colder than it gets in SoCal. I've been out when it's <35, no problem.
Old 11-20-08, 12:50 AM
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow acclimatization. Went out today 40F-45F with knee warmers and no gloves for a while, it hurts, but hey, HTFU. Coldest? About 25F, it was fun.
Originally Posted by jdott
The worst is when it's 33 against the wind in strong freezing rain.
Nothing is as bad as 32-35 with freezing rain. Snow and below 30F is a godsend compared to 32-35 with freezing rain.
Old 11-20-08, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus
While all of the frigid riders are checking the thread, I'll ask a question here instead of making a new one.

Originally Posted by garysol1
I use a basic Bellweather balaclavas. It is now 3 years old and works just fine. If you breath through the material it will eventually get wet and really annoying. I typically keep mine just below my lips unless it is in the teens then I will slide it up over my mouth.
Today was 25 degrees with a slight wind and I was comfortable on my 14 mile commute. My headgear was a thin, nylon type balaclava pulled down over my neck and face as described above, and an overlying woolen skull cap. I need eyeglasses and I have fashioned a special cheap, homemade goggle system that shields against the wind, prevents fogging, holds a rearview mirror and rests comfortably on my face without being pressed down by the layers under my helmet. FYI, see:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/450447-winter-commuting.html post #47

On a recent thread, Machka had a good suggestion to have a winter helmet that is larger than your summer helmet, to accomodate the extra layers. I should have at least tried on my current helmet withall the layers before I bought it, though I think it is the largest size available.
Old 11-20-08, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride at zero degrees celsius with only normal arm and leg warmers. It doesn't get any colder where I live.
Old 11-20-08, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have fashioned a special cheap, homemade goggle system that shields against the wind, prevents fogging, holds a rearview mirror and rests comfortably on my face without being pressed down by the layers under my helmet. FYI, see:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=450447 post #47
Here is the pic Jim is guiding you to.

Old 11-20-08, 09:01 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markj61
I'll let T.J. expand on this or call BS, but it's my guess that in Montreal, it may just get too cold and have enough snow cover for much ice to form on streets. I had relatives that we used to visit in January each year and man it gets cold...but it stays really cold, with that crunchy snow, so there is not as much chances for the cycle of melt-freeze-melt-freeze that we have here in Chicago, where black ice (and brown slush) are a real problem.

PS: haven't been up there lately. I do miss the wood-fired bagels and the middle eastern pastry, tho.
While I live in Toronto now, I did messenger year round in Montreal for years. Typically we used to get snow almost everyday, that's how I learned to ride in wheel ruts, surf snow on a bike and climb over snow banks. In Jan-feb it starts to get -20C and colder with a few weeks in there being constantly below -20. On those frigid days if the sun is out already formed ice will evaporate sloooowly. Not a melt-freeze cycle, and road salt is everywhere....tasty I'll tell ya, fun in the eye too. Black ice from spinning car tires can be on the road for the entire winter if it gets thick enough and not plowed up properly. After a while you'd learn where it was. The cold crunchy days ... were some of the best. Snow on the road would actually provide something for the knobbies to grab onto. Montreal gets a pretty good amount of snow, the killer is being an island is the humidity.... bone chilling, go-through-all-your-gear humidity. When the snow sounds like styrofoam when you walk on it you know it's damned cold. The higher the pitch the colder it is. mmmm fresh wood oven bagels make it all ok.

Now when I was an Air Force brat in northern Alberta where it was consistently -30C to -45C the snow flakes were so small due to the air being so dry as to yield very little snow. The complete opposite to Montreal.

I'd still love to attempt an Idita Bike ? event in the Arctic with those double wide rims spec'd bikes. (pugsley style)
Old 11-20-08, 09:12 AM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Started out at 2C (35F) here this morning. Beautiful sunny day. Warmed to a balmy 12C (53F). Now, its down to 9C (48F).

This is unseasonably wam, even in the mildest part of Canada. I ride year round. I love the feeling of slicing through the cold. Sometimes, on a sunny day, you get frost crystals flying off the front wheel, sparkling in the crisp air. It feels like cross country skiing. As long as you're dressed properly. all's well. This story gives an impression of what riding conditions can be like here, on a "normal" November day.

"45F should be doable?"

Sorry, it just seems hilarious.
Yesterday when I left the house it was 26F with a wind chill that made it feel like 16F but it didn't bother me, however this morning was 30F and when I got back from my short 25 mile ride my feet were frozen as was the top half of my water bottle.
Old 11-20-08, 09:53 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
It was 48 degrees this morning in Scottsdale! Brrrrrrrrr! Where are my socks.

When I was a distance runner in the Midwest, I'm regularly run down to about 10 below and return with ice cicles in my beard.

Then I became enlightened and realized that I was not religiously or morally required to suffer through winter.

Actually, I don't mind winter weather, as long as it ends on January 6th.
Old 11-20-08, 10:36 AM
Fails at being impressed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride back and forth to work every day, but that doesn't really count. I stop riding my road bikes when there is snow on the ground. That's when I start running.
Old 11-20-08, 03:16 PM
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold? It's not so much the actual temp as the other conditions. If it's 16 degrees, but sunny and no wind, no problem.
Old 11-20-08, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Colnago C-40/Scott CR1/Lucero Lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. My body's tolerance for cold is relative to the "normal" temperatures where I live. When I lived in MA, I could deal with 20 degree temperatures on a ride. Now I live in FL and I draw the line at 40 degrees. To me, 40 degrees in FL feels as cold as 20 degrees in MA if that makes any sense.
Old 11-20-08, 03:34 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here in so cali the cutoff is about 64 degrees.
Old 11-20-08, 03:41 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Coldest I have ridden was 18 degrees F. I was layered in wool & comfortable but halfway to work I fell & bent a crank arm on my Centurion Pro Tour. After that, I usually drove whenever it got down near freezing just because I don't like falling on ice. Don
Old 11-20-08, 04:03 PM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mackerel
Just above freezing temperature - any lower and my eyeballs begin to hurt.
Ski googles...yes, looks odd, but, it works!!
Old 11-20-08, 04:16 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SunFlower
here in so cali the cutoff is about 64 degrees.
wuss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.