Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

MORE studded tires...

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

MORE studded tires...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 08:43 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MORE studded tires...

For a few winters I've been commuting with the Nokian Mount & Ground. These seem to be working OK for pavement that has the occasional ice spots but these have a mere 160 studs. I've been looking at beefier tires such as the "Nokian Extreme" with 294 studs.
For those that have more experience with different studded tires, are they worth the money? See any performance differences?
There are some trails I'd like to take if they could handle several inches of snow. The M&G's don't seem to handle snow very well.
Ideas?
Old 12-02-08, 09:09 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If better performance in the snow is your aim, more studs probably won't help, but a more aggressive tread pattern will. Studs are useful for ice....not so much for snow.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-02-08, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 460 Posts
The Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro has 361 wolfram carbide studs.
Old 12-02-08, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
More studs probably aren't going to help you in the deep snow. A different tread pattern might. Try lowering your tire pressure. Not so low that you'll get pinch flats, but pretty low
Old 12-03-08, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Winter, does a better job i'll say
it's designed more like a BMX tire, than a road tire.

on normal days i ride the Schwalbe Moe Joe, which is a BMX threaded tire, and is amazing on every road condition, except deep packed icey snow.
Old 12-05-08, 01:41 PM
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found the Schwalbe Marathon Winter lacking in the tread department for riding in the snow.
With a 3 inch snow base over a 1/2 crust the tire just didn't get in deep enough for the treads or studs to be helpful and I would start to get some fish tailing, I'll give them the rest of the winter and see but
I'm seriously considering a better tread and give a little on number of studs for maybe next year.
Old 12-11-08, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I have the Nokian Freddie Revenz Lite and have used several different Nokians including M&G's. The wider 2,3" Freddie's really makes a difference. Had a really nice 4 hour ride today that included tarmac, singletrack, ski tracks and fireroads. Felt secure most of the way. They are expensive but worth it if you ride a lot during the winter months. The Icespiker Pro also gets good reviews.
Old 12-11-08, 02:00 PM
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 455 Posts
See https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Seems to be a lot of good info. He echoes the Schwalbe Marathon Winter as being good for ice and pavement but not snow.

I have no other insight, as I am newly awaiting my first pair of studs as we speak.
Old 12-11-08, 02:57 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the insights.
And slcbob, very informative article from Peter White.

When it snows here, it's rough going until they plow. I think a good solution is a beefier set of knobbies on a seperate wheelset for snow days, and my usual mount and grounds on regular days after they've plowed and exposed the ice patches.
Old 12-11-08, 04:25 PM
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When it snows here, it's rough going until they plow. I think a good solution is a beefier set of knobbies on a seperate wheelset for snow days, and my usual mount and grounds on regular days after they've plowed and exposed the ice patches.[/QUOTE]

I was going to buy a pair of Schwalbes this year but instead went with a new Panaracer Smoke in the back with an Fire XC pro in the front. I used the Smoke way back in the day and it never let me down. I usually don't see much ice on my rides but do ride in a lot of snow. The smoke has wide lugs and it should corner well. This weekend Spokane is slated to get a large amount of snow so this will be the first snow ride of the year for me.
Old 12-11-08, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Nokian Haaka 106 on the front. It has served me well on ice, deep snow, and smooth pavement for four winters going on five. The Marathon winter appears to be a better tire for ice (more spikes), but a less beefy pattern, and maybe not so suitable for deep snow.

FWIW I have a Marathon snow stud in the rear - the whole pump up to reduce noise/friction deal seems to work well, but the studs have worn down some after two winters.
Old 12-12-08, 04:44 PM
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rajman
The Marathon winter appears to be a better tire for ice (more spikes), but a less beefy pattern, and maybe not so suitable for deep snow.

FWIW I have a Marathon snow stud in the rear - the whole pump up to reduce noise/friction deal seems to work well, but the studs have worn down some after two winters.
I read somewhere that I can't seem to find to double-check at the moment that the Marathon Winter with carbide studs replaces a Marathon something else with non-carbide studs from the last year or two. Perhaps that's what you had? I'm hoping that's the case, for my own sake. Consistent thread in lots of places that non-carbide wears out quickly, don't waste your money on it.

Also consistent that the Marathon Winter is not for deep snow.

Again, just regurgitating, still awaiting some snow / ice / new tires / personal experience this winter.