Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Should I get lighter or stronger wheels?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 05:45 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After commuting on different bikes (hybrid, single speed, road) I've decided I just like using the road bike the most and it usually works fine. I have a Motobecane Vent Noir (2007), which comes with Vuelta XRP Pro wheels. These are paired spoke, 24 hole aero rims with high tension aero spokes. I think they are probably heavy for their appearance, but I suspect they are relatively strong. I got the front tire caught in a groove and endo'd but the wheel only needed a little truing. At any rate, I'm thinking I'd like to get another wheelset, one for commuting that I can put the 4x thickness tubes and Gatorskin tires on and another faster set for group rides, rides in the mountains, etc. I don't race, if that matters, but I'd like to be able to keep up with others and I'm not the strongest rider.

So I guess I'm wondering if my current wheelset is strong enough for commuting and if I should get a nicer, lighter wheelset for fun, or if my current wheelset is sufficiently light and fast and if I need a stronger wheelset for commuting. I don't know the weight of my current wheelset and it's my first road bike so I have nothing to compare it to. I will try to weigh it soon, I'm just not excited about taking off the tires, tubes, and skewers just to weigh the wheelset.

For stronger wheelsets everyone recommends the Mavic Open Pro on Ultegra hubs. I was also wondering about these Alex DA22 wheels. If it's just for commuting I don't care much about weight, just durability. Although I'd like black rims and spokes to match the bike :-) For lighter wheels I'm looking at the Neuvation M28 Aero's.

Oh, I'm sure this will make a difference too: I'm 6'5" and 185 lbs. I can leave some stuff at work but I often carry lunch and a few clothes in. I've attached a picture of the bike when I first got it, so you can at least look at the wheels, for what it's worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01613 (Medium).JPG (71.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-17-09, 06:35 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The nice thing about wheelsets is that they're portable; you can move them from bike to bike. I'd keep the Vuelta's for commuting and get a nicer set for rec riding. Haven't heard anything bad about the Neuvations and they're blingier than the OP/Ultegra.
Old 04-17-09, 06:56 PM
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fixed gear has the Alex DA22 front wheel, and it's strong. I definitely mistreat it, going over curbs, through gravel and grass at high speeds, off road all together, and it holds up like a trooper. I'm pleasantly surprised. My rear wheel has the same rim, laced to a velocity flip-flop hub, and i'm also pleased with it.
Old 04-19-09, 10:48 AM

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just weighed the Vuelta front wheel without tires, tubes, or skewer. It came in at 920 grams.
Old 04-19-09, 10:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooleric1234
I just weighed the Vuelta front wheel without tires, tubes, or skewer. It came in at 920 grams.
Ouch, those are boat anchors for low spoke count wheels. 32-spoke open pros on ultegra hubs will be the same or lighter than that, with skewers.

If you want blingier looking wheels that can still handle a commuting load, aksiums are a good choice, though they won't be any lighter.

I'd say just stick with the vueltas till they break for commuting though.
Old 04-19-09, 12:57 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The thing is, you don't have to settle for one or the other. You can have both--within reason.

Working with a good wheelbuilder, you can get the lead out while retaining strength. The common Open Pro/Ultegra combination is one example, but it can be improved upon.

The wheelset on one of my bikes is 1609 grams INCLUDING rim tape and skewers, which is less than the Neuvation M28s you're considering. They're 32-spoke wheels using Velocity Aerohead (front) and Aerohead O/C (rear) hoops, double-butted spokes, and private-label hubs supplied by the builder. I haul loads of groceries on this bike too, with never a lick of trouble in two seasons so far.

BTW, that bike came with Vuelta wheels too. Weigh a ton and never stayed true.
Old 04-20-09, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Motobecane Sprint that I have been using for the past year or so as my only bike (road races, commuting, rec riding) that have the same wheelset. Those wheels are strong enough for commuting. I've 1500 miles on em without issues. I am 6'3 and 240lbs so a little heavier than you and they hold up just fine. Sure they are heavy, but so am I
Old 04-20-09, 09:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crast
Ouch, those are boat anchors for low spoke count wheels. 32-spoke open pros on ultegra hubs will be the same or lighter than that, with skewers.
For comparison, my front 32-spoke Ultegra/OP is 790g with skewer.

It's also ten years old and has never been serviced. Runs smooth.
Old 04-29-09, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
get a lighter front wheel and a stronger back wheel
Old 04-29-09, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Those wheels may be a little heavier than average, but you said yourself that you are not very concerned about weight. At any rate, the few extra hundred grams on your wheels are not what's holding you back. If those wheels are strong enough for you, as you seem to indicate, then there's no practical reason for new wheels. You aren't going to derive any real benefit by going to Alex DA22s or OP/Ultegras.

I say ride those wheels 'til they die, and in the meantime read and learn what you can about wheels, then once you feel like you really know what you need, have custom wheel-set built that is exactly to your desired specifications.
Old 04-29-09, 11:37 AM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I'd never recommend a paired spoke wheel to anyone.

FWIW, I can't break the 1600 gram line...and I'm unwilling to. The only way I can break it is by utilizing hubs with aluminum or titanium freehub bodies and axles, which I won't do. I stick with steel freehub bodies and axles. Aluminum gets chewed up by cassettes, and the axles have longevity issues. I'd go with Ti, but that will cost me more than the 150 grams are worth.

My lightest wheelset is Ultegra hubs laced to Kinlin XR-300 Niobium rims. 18 spoke front, 24 rear. DT aerolites all around save for the driveside rear, which is DT comps. 1650 grams for the set. (705 on the front wheel, so yes, your front wheel is tankish for a low spoke wheel). My 105 hubs laced 32 spoke to Velocity Aeroheads with DT revs are just a slight bit heavier. Ultegra/Open Pros with Wheelsmith DB 14s are again just a bit heavier still. But we're basically talking a range of 1600-1800 grams. Not huge. Breaking the 1600 line would cost way too much, or sacrifice durability that I'm not willing to give up.
Old 04-29-09, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
The front wheel often is the one that often suffers the most on impacts with road hazards. The rear wheel is the one that has the most stress placed on it on a day to day basis.

As far as what to do in your situation I'd tend to think your wheels are plenty good for commuting as is. They might be just fine for group rides too. Try them out and give yourself time to improve before deciding you need lighter/faster wheels.

If you do eventually decide you want faster wheels, I'd go for the Neuvation R series rather than the M series. If you're going to spend money you might as well get something that's going to make a real difference rather than a marginal one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the M series wheels but Neuvation often has sales on their older models and you can get R series wheels for not that much more. Yeah, the M's are going to be a bit tougher but the R's aren't bad and if it's performance you're after...