Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New guy from Avon, Ohio (25 mi west of Cleveland)

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 12:03 AM

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi gang,

Well, I hope I stick with this...

I pulled my old bike off of the hooks in the garage for the first time since about 1994. Our daughter wants to go riding, and has seen it hanging there, and bugged me enough until I brought it down. I'm 55, and used to ride all the time, everywhere I went. Then I was trying to get in shape for a backpacking trip, so I walked everywhere. After the trip, I vegetated. For 15 years. I stepped on the scales last week, and weigh the most I ever have. Time to get back in shape and riding was always a fun way to keep fit.

When I last rode, my goal was to keep up with the fast boys and put in a lot of miles. Now my goal is to be comfortable, enjoy the ride, and explore new places at a leisurely pace. So I've spent the last few evenings looking at replacing the old skinny Panaracer tires with some fatter Schwalbe Marathon 700X32, and replacing the skinny Selle San Marco with a Brooks Champion Flyer or B-67. My priorities are obvious: taking care of my butt!

The bike: I was an old BOBster. I have a 1992 Bridgestone RB-T that's mostly stock. I bought the touring rather than the RB-1 or RB-2, as I was pulling a Burley trailer with our oldest daughter at the time. As noted, I replaced the old Avocet tires with the skinny Panaracers, and the saddle with the SSM. I also had the dealer swap Look clipless for the MKS (?) and toe clips, but at some later time I changed back to some basic cage platform pedal.

Proir to that I had a bizzare old Corsa that must have been made from an assortment of whatever parts were in the bottom of the builders bin. Components were not even the same brand, let alone group; some expensive, and some bargain parts. It even had all natural color Pirelli tires. Not just the sidewalls, but the tread, too. But it went thousands of miles without a hickup.

Other than the Marathons and Brooks saddle, about the only thing else I plan to change is possibly going to a Nitto Mustache bar, like I almost did when it was new (from the X0-1.) If I do, then I'll definitely go with the wider B-67.

The trick is going to be keeping at it. Seems all my hobbies are outdoor summer hobbies, and all conflict. I've got three scooters and an old MG for exactly the same sort of weather that I'd be biking. And a sailboat, but I haven't used it for even longer than the bike! What's the saying? Too many toys, and not enough time. I need to retire!

Well, that's about it. If you are in the area, and see a chubby dude on a dark green RB-T going about 7 MPH, toss me a beer!

Steve
Xtracycle conversion on 1997 KHS Summit X
Old 05-16-09, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Welcome to bike forums...
Old 05-16-09, 10:16 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smorris
Hi gang,

Well, I hope I stick with this...

I pulled my old bike off of the hooks in the garage for the first time since about 1994. Our daughter wants to go riding, and has seen it hanging there, and bugged me enough until I brought it down. I'm 55, and used to ride all the time, everywhere I went. Then I was trying to get in shape for a backpacking trip, so I walked everywhere. After the trip, I vegetated. For 15 years. I stepped on the scales last week, and weigh the most I ever have. Time to get back in shape and riding was always a fun way to keep fit.

When I last rode, my goal was to keep up with the fast boys and put in a lot of miles. Now my goal is to be comfortable, enjoy the ride, and explore new places at a leisurely pace. So I've spent the last few evenings looking at replacing the old skinny Panaracer tires with some fatter Schwalbe Marathon 700X32, and replacing the skinny Selle San Marco with a Brooks Champion Flyer or B-67. My priorities are obvious: taking care of my butt!

The bike: I was an old BOBster. I have a 1992 Bridgestone RB-T that's mostly stock. I bought the touring rather than the RB-1 or RB-2, as I was pulling a Burley trailer with our oldest daughter at the time. As noted, I replaced the old Avocet tires with the skinny Panaracers, and the saddle with the SSM. I also had the dealer swap Look clipless for the MKS (?) and toe clips, but at some later time I changed back to some basic cage platform pedal.

Proir to that I had a bizzare old Corsa that must have been made from an assortment of whatever parts were in the bottom of the builders bin. Components were not even the same brand, let alone group; some expensive, and some bargain parts. It even had all natural color Pirelli tires. Not just the sidewalls, but the tread, too. But it went thousands of miles without a hickup.

Other than the Marathons and Brooks saddle, about the only thing else I plan to change is possibly going to a Nitto Mustache bar, like I almost did when it was new (from the X0-1.) If I do, then I'll definitely go with the wider B-67.

The trick is going to be keeping at it. Seems all my hobbies are outdoor summer hobbies, and all conflict. I've got three scooters and an old MG for exactly the same sort of weather that I'd be biking. And a sailboat, but I haven't used it for even longer than the bike! What's the saying? Too many toys, and not enough time. I need to retire!

Well, that's about it. If you are in the area, and see a chubby dude on a dark green RB-T going about 7 MPH, toss me a beer!

Steve
Join us in the 50+ forum
Old 05-16-09, 10:22 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome Steve. There are a bunch of us in the NE Ohio area who get together for social rides from time to time. One is a moderator here in BF who lives right near you. We usually post threads for our rides in the Regional - Great Lakes forum in advance.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-16-09, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Howdy fellow Avon'ite Join us in the Great Lakes forum located HERE.
I live off of 83 just south of Detroit. Are you nearby?
Old 05-16-09, 10:40 AM

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, all

DnverFox, I just added a post in the sticky, as I didn't really see an intro thread.

Chipcom, I'll take a look in the GL forum, although I'm not even close to being able to ride with a group yet. That's one thing that happened before. We both got bikes, but my wife wanted to ride really short rides at a snail's pace, and maybe once a week at best. I probably won't get to the point of riding several nights a week, leaving them at home again.

Gary, I am on Long Road, just west of you (you know, the shortcut everyone uses to avoid town...) Outside of the north curve, with my two black Subaru wagons in the drive. Stop in any time. I get home 4:30 weekdays. Longstanding offer on the scooter and car forums is, if the garage is open and the lights are on, then the drinks are free and the talk is cheap. If you are an active rider, you might know my friend Don on Garden.

Thanks again for the welcome
Steve
Old 05-16-09, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by smorris
If you are an active rider, you might know my friend Don on Garden.

Thanks again for the welcome
Steve

Yep, I know Don well. We have not had to many rides together as our schedules always seem to be in conflict....But we stop and chat when ever we see each other.
Old 05-29-09, 09:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I spent last weekend cleaning and polishing my old Bridgestone, put on a new saddle and tires, and have been waiting for the storms to pass so I can take some photos and ride. (Photography is another hobby, so I take photos of all of my toys.)

Tonight, just after a storm, the sun tried coming out, but not quite enough to get good contrast. I'll get some more when I get better light. I also need to remember to turn both pedals right side up, and take off the Rhode Gear mirror...

Enjoy!
Steve

A couple more and full size images here