Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What excatly is a "Hipster", ? Please explain

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What excatly is a "Hipster", ? Please explain

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Canondale CAAD 10 3; Trek 7200; Motobecane Grand Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget the original "Hipster Dufus":
Old 05-31-09, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My old cannondale track bikes would make good "hipster" bikes.

hipster art???

My bag is a timbuck2 and they are two well known to be cool so it is NOT a good hipster bag.
Old 05-31-09, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I guess I'm not a hipster because when I look at the timbuk2 bag, my first thought is that when he sewed those patches on, he seriously compromised the water resistant features of the bag.
Old 05-31-09, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
I guess I'm not a hipster because when I look at the timbuk2 bag, my first thought is that when he sewed those patches on, he seriously compromised the water resistant features of the bag.
No, they are sewn to the outer cordora
Old 05-31-09, 12:30 PM
Daily Commuter

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Gary fisher wahoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't hate on chuck taylors! They are classic! : (
Old 05-31-09, 08:12 PM
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjvw
That was me a few years back during art school at SAIC, though minus the PBR (rarely drink). Although I think I was a little more well-rounded than most of the people I rode with and my pants allowed for some freedom of movement. The mini U-Lock in the back pocket is a matter of convenience. Where else would I put it when I didn't carry my mess. bag?
OOOH! Sorry about the SAIC experience.

I hope you have recovered and are now making art.
Old 05-31-09, 08:52 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
If you have to ask, it he/she probably is one:
I'm not a hipster myself, but I know what hipsters are (living in Seattle, they're hard to avoid), and the guy in the photo is not a hipster. He's a fashion model pretending to be a hipster. Which is kind of disconcerting, almost deconstructionist: this is a guy ironically pretending to be a guy ironically pretending to be a working-class bohemian. It's as if urban life in our culture has descended to nothing more than a grotesque, recursive game of cynical make-believe.
Old 05-31-09, 09:04 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I'm not a hipster myself, but I know what hipsters are (living in Seattle, they're hard to avoid), and the guy in the photo is not a hipster. He's a fashion model pretending to be a hipster. Which is kind of disconcerting, almost deconstructionist: this is a guy ironically pretending to be a guy ironically pretending to be a working-class bohemian. It's as if urban life in our culture has descended to nothing more than a grotesque, recursive game of cynical make-believe.
Our culture tends to make assumptions based on the way people dress and behave. For example, in the 1960s many people dressed and acted in response to the dreary middle class lives they seemed to be fated to adopt. However, although they mostly all looked alike, some of them went on to become thoughtful citizens while others moved to the suburbs, so to speak. I hate judging a book by its cover.

What is really sad, though, is those class of people who restrict themselves by the label society puts on them... ie, hipsters who allow themselves to think only in hipster-mode and Freds who do things only because they believe them to be fred-like.

What I really like are Freds who ride fixed-gear.... definitely a dying breed... perhaps because they have no brakes.
Old 05-31-09, 09:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my 1888 Eldredge fixed gear "Fred" bike (I call them track bikes) with maple wood wheels and sew up tires. And yes, track bikes have no brakes.

Last edited by mechanicalron; 05-31-09 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-31-09, 09:36 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv

What I really like are Freds who ride fixed-gear.... definitely a dying breed... perhaps because they have no brakes.

For the record, I don't mind hipsters at all. I don't get the whole fixed-gear-skinny-jeans-PBR-hanging-out-in-dives-that-aren't-really-dives thing, but at least hipsters aren't trying to buzz me in their gigantic diesel pickup truck. I just worry about what it means when large numbers of people refuse to be, well, grown-ups. A 22 year-old hipster is one thing. A 35 year-old with a fixie, wearing some wool cap, hanging out in a "cool" coffee shop that has the same stupid overpriced coffee drinks as Starbucks, apparently not doing anything all that productive at 10:00 AM, is sort of pathetic.
Old 05-31-09, 11:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi

For the record, I don't mind hipsters at all. I don't get the whole fixed-gear-skinny-jeans-PBR-hanging-out-in-dives-that-aren't-really-dives thing, but at least hipsters aren't trying to buzz me in their gigantic diesel pickup truck. I just worry about what it means when large numbers of people refuse to be, well, grown-ups. A 22 year-old hipster is one thing. A 35 year-old with a fixie, wearing some wool cap, hanging out in a "cool" coffee shop that has the same stupid overpriced coffee drinks as Starbucks, apparently not doing anything all that productive at 10:00 AM, is sort of pathetic.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 06-01-09, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A group called "Cycledelics" from Riverside, CA. I've met a couple cool guys from there and another from a local bike group. By no means am I a "hipster".
Old 06-01-09, 12:36 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
I think if you say "I'm kind of a hipster" you automatically have to turn in your membership card. Part of being a "hipster" is going to a lot of trouble to not identify with it.

I know... Chicago is infested with hipsters. You can find them by following all of the PBR cans back to their nest.
IME a big part of hipster mentality is irony. Fashion accessories are adopted ironically (see: trucker cap, though that isn't cool any more). Admitting you are a hipster and only do sterotypical hipster things because of the ironic value in and of itself is actually quite common.

Which is, well, ironic.

Yeah, it's kind of silly, but having spent a lot of time with a lot of different "subcultures" such as punks, hippies, and pretentious artists, hipsters seem to be the ones most willing to poke fun at themselves. With punks being the least likely to do this, even though they're supposed to be authentic.

I hear metalheads also take themselves too seriously, but I don't really know many.

Originally Posted by xenologer
Not as much as hipsters care about what others think they do/look.

Which is kinda the point, you may personally have a few tendancies that coincidentally match hipster habits; but the actual 'hipsters' are doing it as a means to itself.
I'd accuse you of painting people with too broad a brush, but I guess I just did the same thing. My experience is very different.

Really though, whats up with the tennis ball in the spokes? Is it supposed to help wheel balance or something? why do they do that?
Irony? I don't know, I've never seen this.
Old 06-01-09, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
Irony? I don't know, I've never seen this.
Example of tennis ball in spokes: https://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=7680
Old 06-01-09, 07:19 AM
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Because there's a lot of middle-aged desk-job geeks on bicycles who feel very, very insecure and who have to sneer at everyone who doesn't look like them as a defense mechanism. Either you're a "hipster" or you're a "superhero" or who knows what. Inferiority complexes play out in ugly ways, don't they?
Nice summary of the commuting forum most days.

The only place I've seen the term "hipster" used un-ironically is on web forums... although I guess this is the same forum that has people jump through hilarious mental hoops to explain why they won't wear cycling clothing.
Old 06-01-09, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://quietbubble.typepad.com/quiet...ral-radar.html

https://www.latfh.com/
Blips on the cultural radar

Omigod, there’s a label that fits (or maybe I should add an “s”) me! To wit:
By now, the traits of hipsterism are easily recognizable to culture vultures: Hipsters are white, urban, occasionally privileged, attitudinally earnest and functionally alternative. They live life at the intersection of Pabst Blue Ribbon and day-glo leggings—worn with irony, or maybe not. They listen to indie darlings like Pavement, or anthem rockers like Arcade Fire. Maybe even a little Wu-Tang. Everything obscure is good; a headband on some longhair of a man; a waifish girl sporting several thick gold chains. The hipster—torn between ironic, “who cares if I’m wearing a tracksuit” detachment and the exhibitionism required to perform the trend—is complicating traditional ideas of identity and sexuality. And this lifestyle is all the more striking when the kids mixing white-boy silhouettes and post-punk swagger are already culturally conspicuous—when they are black.
And there you go: My favorite filmmakers include Jacques Tati and Wes Anderson; I’ve got a soft spot for sci-fi, anime, and wuxia flicks; I only wear clothes with sports teams on them on laundry days; I love comics; I listen to Phish (Oops! That’s not so hip.); I operate a blog, for Chrissakes; and, dude, I skated back in the day and even bought issues of Thrasher.
Holy moley, I’m a blipster. Yessir, that’s one of them fancy portmanteaus: black + hipster. (And the fact that I just used “portmanteau” in a sentence pretty much clinches it, right?)
But what, really, is a hipster in the first place? Do hipsters actually call themselves that, or is it like “yuppies,” a term only used by those insulting them? For that matter, and a little closer to the bone, did anyone in the 1960s–or even into the early 1970s–actually call himself a “hippie?” After all, hippie derives from hipster–according to the ever-trustworthy Wikipedia, and both seem to be terms thrust upon their namesakes by the media and not (as far as I can tell) the other way around.
“Hipster,” though, meant something different–and much more explicitly racialized; more on that in a sec–in its original incarnation than it does now and, in any case, no one today would use the terms “hippie” and “hipster” interchangeably. “Hippie” evokes Burning Man, Hal Ashby, Tom Robbins, the Grateful Dead, and the banged-up VW bus—the whitest of white rebellion. “Hipster” means the Knitting Factory, Wes Anderson, Tao Lin, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and the Smart Car—the whitest of white self-consciousness. One might have come from the other but they’ve definitely cut the cord.
Both are anxious modes, just as I’m anxious to point out that yes, nonwhite people surely play at (and attend) Knitting Factory shows; and yes, I know Tao Lin isn’t white (but I bet 95% of his audience is); and Hal Ashby and Wes Anderson’s movies both show an uneasiness with their white privilege.
But the anxiety of “hipster” and “hippie” stems from the fact that both derive their meaning from engagement black experience. Norman Mailer’s “The White Negro” was the ultimate tract for the trope—I always forget that its subtitle is “Superficial Reflections on the Hipster”—and the white kids adopting the term were doing so because they were consciously adopting the jazz idiom and African American culture as their own.
Like so much in American pop culture, though, the term is divorced from its original intent in the same way that it always goes: take the fashions, lose the blackness. Again, Wikipedia notes the division:
In the late 1990s, the term started to be used in new, sometimes mutually exclusive ways. In some circles it became a blanket description for middle class and upper class young people associated with alternative culture, particularly alternative music, independent rock, alternative hip-hop, independent film and a lifestyle revolving around thrift store shopping, eating organic, locally grown, vegetarian, and/or vegan food, drinking local beer (or even brewing their own), listening to public radio, and riding fixed-gear bicycles.
In other words, Stuff White People Like.
Even there, however, the spectre of blackness remains. Along with its idiotic precepts about what white people like (okay, okay, hipster white people), the blog holds the assumption that black folks (okay, okay, all nonwhite people) don’t like these things, too. (Do they really think only white people watch The Wire? Are they on the crack that the show discusses so fervently?) “Hipster” limits the discourse both ways.
So, while the aforementioned “blipster” article is initially interesting, it reveals its limitations, too, simply because it too assumes restrictions on what whites, blacks, and anyone else should like—or should be conditioned to like—that have been blurred since the beginning. If black experience is intricately tied up with the hipster concept, and always has been, then it shouldn’t be a surprise (or a call for concern) that there are blipsters. In fact, I’d argue that the term is redundant; urban blacks are living naturally the experience that whites glean. Only now it’s working vice versa, too.
Old 06-01-09, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 83 Trek 620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do hipsters also smoke pot and smell bad?
Old 06-01-09, 08:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just gotta throw this in here.

While I don't where girl jeans I do wear fitting jeans and for a good reason. It's alot like wearing the lycra most cyclists wear (albeit without wicking capabilities), it hugs and moves with the rider preventing chaffing. It also helps by not getting caught up on things like my downtube shifters or chainring. Also why skaters wear these jeans (though some of the chubbier ones reallly shouldn't :/)
Old 06-01-09, 08:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.hipsterrunoff.com/

EOT.
Old 06-01-09, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dcdirewolf
But what, really, is a hipster in the first place? Do hipsters actually call themselves that, or is it like “yuppies,” a term only used by those insulting them? For that matter, and a little closer to the bone, did anyone in the 1960s–or even into the early 1970s–actually call himself a “hippie?” After all, hippie derives from hipster–according to the ever-trustworthy Wikipedia, and both seem to be terms thrust upon their namesakes by the media and not (as far as I can tell) the other way around.
“Hipster,” though, meant something different–and much more explicitly racialized; more on that in a sec
Cultural movements or trends can be really fascinating stuff. Clothing, hair styles, musical tastes, etc are on the one hand expressions of individuality and on the other hand often signal identification with a group.

If you see the way you dress, the way you spend your time, and the music you listen to as an expression of who you are, then you don't want a term like "hipster" applied to you because it dismisses your "youness" as merely a product of current fashion and trends.

The black vs. white culture study is interesting too. In a way, being trendy or cool is impossible if you're too mainstream. It's not surprising then that white youth often borrow from black youth as a way of setting themselves apart from the larger culture. The U.S. used to be thought of as a melting pot but it's never really been that way for African Americans who have always maintained a somewhat distinct subculture.
Old 06-01-09, 12:57 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hipsters drink PBR to be cool? I've been drinking it because its cheap!

O'well, guess I'm safe. All my bikes have gears and brakes.

\Only 26 y/o and can't stand the "hipster" movement lately.
\\At least they are on bikes!
Old 06-01-09, 01:25 PM
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My PBR days involved hunting and holding a DeerBQ.
Old 06-01-09, 01:39 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tis a good point - PBR is good for camping/snowboarding etc.
Old 06-01-09, 01:50 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Example of tennis ball in spokes: https://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=7680
OK, but that's a tennis ball in the spokes of a dirt jumper. What is the association with hipster-dom?
Old 06-01-09, 02:17 PM
velofred

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

If you see someone like that, it is me.

Last edited by velofred; 06-01-09 at 03:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.