Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 12:05 PM
Pepperoni Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High Sierra Fall Century 2009

Registration is open. This ride sounds amazing.

Check out BBM's great report and pictures from last year: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...a+fall+century

Anyone else planning to go?
Old 07-08-09, 12:06 PM
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another good report with pictures: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...a+fall+century

The scenery sounds spectacular and with only 5500 feet of climbing, it doesn't sound as brutal as some of the other rides in the Sierras.
Old 07-08-09, 12:27 PM

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Volata, 84 Trek 760, 83 Trek 720,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROJA
Registration is open. This ride sounds amazing.

Check out BBM's great report and pictures from last year: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...a+fall+century

Anyone else planning to go?
Yes,
I'm planning to go. In fact, I may be planning a BF RV trip if anyone is interested.
Old 07-14-09, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey - ex-californian here... that ride is worth doing - best century i've ever done. 100 miles, no services, no stop lights, no cars except the Hwy 395 part, insane scenery.
Old 07-14-09, 06:54 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Hey - ex-californian here... that ride is worth doing - best century i've ever done. 100 miles, no services, no stop lights, no cars except the Hwy 395 part, insane scenery.
Meh - it's ok, if you like that sort of thing.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-14-09, 08:35 PM
I'm your huckleberry...

Bikes: 90's Tommasini Prestige, 2004 Seven Alaris, 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mhendricks
Yes,
I'm planning to go. In fact, I may be planning a BF RV trip if anyone is interested.
I want to do this one as well and would be interested in joining you. I'm trying to talk Bossman into going too, although he's headed up with the family next week to ride many of the same roads.

MarkoPolo
Old 07-14-09, 09:34 PM
Ooohh, shiny things!

Bikes: 2005 Raleigh Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently toying with the idea. Does anyone know how fast the registration typically fills up?
Old 07-15-09, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Serotta Santa Cruz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Valygirl is right....go do it. We have been for years. A member of our club produced it for a long time and has turned it over to Eastside Velo of Mammoth/June Lakes. They will do a super job.

We usually camp at Convict Lake and ride from there.

Mt. Morrison coming down from Convict

The food and support is the best, about 400 riders makes it cozy and fun. About 6000 ft of moderate climbing with only one short steeper ramp at Wildrose Summit where there will be folks in tuxedos mixing energy drinks for you in a martini shaker.

Boundary Peak, highest point in Nevada.

You will hardly see a car from 395 to the end.

Long Valley Caldera

I have registered many times at Footloose Sports Friday eve before the ride. I don't recall it ever filling.

It is a great eastern Sierra riding event.
Old 07-15-09, 11:32 AM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by kyle16
I am currently toying with the idea. Does anyone know how fast the registration typically fills up?
It doesn't fill up. I've always registered the evening before with no issues.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-15-09, 11:41 AM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by ROJA
Another good report with pictures: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...a+fall+century

The scenery sounds spectacular and with only 5500 feet of climbing, it doesn't sound as brutal as some of the other rides in the Sierras.
It is probably the best organized century in CA, and certainly the most scenic. There are 3 passes that are over 8,000' in elevation - Deadman Summit, Sagehen Summit,, and Wild Rose Summit. So, you'll be in some relatively thin air. The dscent from Sagehen to the Adobe Flats rest stop is one of the best roll-outs you'll probably experience, and if there is negligible headwind you easily go 50+mph just coasting along. the caveat is that, unless they've repaired the roads recently, the flats after the descent have horrible cracks and chip-seal, and you will get beaten up pretty well for a few miles.

Also, it is worth noting that the last 20 miles or so can be brutal. The wind comes off the east slope in the afternoon, and if it is howling you'll be in the teeth of it for the last stretch. Not a lot of fun.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-16-09, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ROJA are you planning to do it on the Cannondale tandem?
Old 07-16-09, 12:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkoPolo
I want to do this one as well and would be interested in joining you. I'm trying to talk Bossman into going too, although he's headed up with the family next week to ride many of the same roads.

MarkoPolo
I'm going but will be driving the car up on early Friday Morning so if you'd like to share expenses, I'll drive.
Old 07-16-09, 01:26 PM
Dolce far niente

I'm going but will be driving the car up on early Friday Morning so if you'd like to share expenses, I'll drive.
I will be in Mammoth all next week - let me sniff around and see what I want to do for the century. If I can get that Friday off, maybe I'll join you to for the festivities. I may be able to snag a condo for us - depending on availability.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-16-09, 05:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I will be in Mammoth all next week - let me sniff around and see what I want to do for the century. If I can get that Friday off, maybe I'll join you to for the festivities. I may be able to snag a condo for us - depending on availability.
Sounds great! However, if memory serves me well the last time we stayed somewhere there were a bunch of girls staying at the same place.
Old 07-16-09, 05:59 PM
Dolce far niente

Sounds great! However, if memory serves me well the last time we stayed somewhere there were a bunch of girls staying at the same place.
Well - if you want that, it costs extra.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-16-09, 10:10 PM
I'm your huckleberry...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I'm in. Now we just need BBM to join us and line up the condo (girls are optional).
Old 09-08-09, 11:17 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Well - if you want that, it costs extra.
How much?

Looks like it might be pretty chilly for the start of the HSFC (low of 43 in Mammoth Lakes):

https://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0661_f.html

Just for information's sake, it is often much colder in the Long Valley (where the ride begins) first thing in the AM than it is in Mammoth Lakes.

It'll be frosty to start, but the ride immediately heads uphill, and it should warm up fast.

Still considering the Benton to Bishop rollout, BBM?

Old 09-08-09, 11:26 AM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by Biker395
How much?

Looks like it might be pretty chilly for the start of the HSFC (low of 43 in Mammoth Lakes):

https://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0661_f.html

Just for information's sake, it is often much colder in the Long Valley (where the ride begins) first thing in the AM than it is in Mammoth Lakes.

It'll be frosty to start, but the ride immediately heads uphill, and it should warm up fast.

Still considering the Benton to Bishop rollout, BBM?
Heh - caught me pimping out your condo. Ooooops. Mike and Mark, say "hello" to Vic, our host and the nicest guy in the whole wide world.

Anyway, not sure about going off-reservation and riding solo down the Hwy 6 back-stretch. I've been riding like crap lately - one day a dog, the next ok. We'll talk about it Friday. I'll be starting from the condo for sure, and will probably do a detour around June Lake Loop - too pretty to miss.

S. J. Perelman
Old 09-08-09, 11:55 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Yea, we can discuss it when Brian and I arrive. FWIW, the rollout to Bishop through is sweet and typically a lot easier that climbing Wildrose and Watterson. But I can always finish of the ride by riding up the Sherwin Grade and back down again. Or maybe even accompanying you all up Watterson and Wildrose, snarfing down a burger or two at Whitmore, and heading down to Bishop and back again. All TBD, I guess. Anyway I look at it, it will be a long day in the saddle for me.

It looks like there will be 6 of us at the condo ... you three, Urban Knight, Rob, and myself. UK and I will be driving up late, unfortunately, so look for us to arrive at about 9-10PM. It's gonna be a little crowded, so we're probably best leaving the bikes in the cars for this one.

To tell the truth, I'm ready to leave now. After this weekend, it's taper time.

Old 09-08-09, 05:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Biker395;9635461]To tell the truth, I'm ready to leave now.QUOTE]

I'm ready to leave now too even though I just got back after 2 weeks vacation up in Crater Lake and Mt. Shasta. I'm ready to ride the whole enchilada!
Old 09-08-09, 10:34 PM
I'm your huckleberry...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like there will be 6 of us at the condo ... you three, Urban Knight, Rob, and myself. UK and I will be driving up late, unfortunately, so look for us to arrive at about 9-10PM. It's gonna be a little crowded, so we're probably best leaving the bikes in the cars for this one.

To tell the truth, I'm ready to leave now. After this weekend, it's taper time.
Hi Vic - thanks for sharing your digs for the weekend. It's much appreciated and I'm looking forward to it. Sounds like we won't be seeing too much of you on the road though, although given the wicked fast pace that BBM and I set , we probably wouldn't see much of you even if we did the same route!
Old 09-09-09, 09:28 AM
Seat Sniffer

Well hello you guys.

The HSFC should be a lot of fun. Looks like we should have better weather than we did for the Eastern Sierra Double.

I'm thinking of doing another ride Sunday before we head home. If you guys are game, be thinking of where you'd like to go.

Old 09-09-09, 01:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well hello you guys.

The HSFC should be a lot of fun. Looks like we should have better weather than we did for the Eastern Sierra Double.

I'm thinking of doing another ride Sunday before we head home. If you guys are game, be thinking of where you'd like to go.
Thanks for having us and I'm always game for a ride on Sunday. We're looking forward to the friendship and the ride.
Old 09-09-09, 02:48 PM
Dolce far niente

Thanks for having us and I'm always game for a ride on Sunday. We're looking forward to the friendship and the ride.
Mike - be careful of accepting a ride invitation from Vic. He will grind you into dust.

Vic - seeing as how Mike and Mark have never rideden there before, I'm thinking we'd be derelict in our hosting duties if we didn't show them the June Lakes Loop. What say on Sunday we park down at Rush Creek, and "do the loop"? Perhaps even grab a bite at The Tiger Bar or The Silver Lake Lodge?

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-09-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 03:03 PM
Seat Sniffer

You aren't doing the JLL on Saturday?

Remember that friend that had the cabin behind the Tiger Bar? He'll be waiting for us there with refreshments Saturday morning.

Oh, and BTW, there was one HSFC 2008 jersey left ... in XL.

It will be waiting for you and your sorry ass at registration. Only $25, you lucky sot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.