Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'86 Peugeot PSN-10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'86 Peugeot PSN-10

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 11:18 AM

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'86 Peugeot PSN-10

At $100 this probably doesn't qualify for the "Catch of the Day" thread but I'm happy about it - a 1986 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon - 60cm, Super Vitus 980 tubing:

It sat under the seller's porch for some time so there's a good amount of rust; definitely will need a full overhaul and Framesaver. Paint and chrome should polish up nicely. The aero brake levers aren't stock but look serviceable. I'll stick with the red+white color scheme but that polka-dot bar tape has to go!
Old 09-29-09, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike ! as for the catch of the day ? In the running considering its condition and quality. Red, plenty of chrome , Vitus ... It'll grab the attention of many.
Old 09-29-09, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Many good Peugeots that come up are giant 60+ CM sizes like this PSN. I'm wondering why so many tall riders seem to have barely used their bikes........Uhmmm basketball ended up to be a better choice of sport, maybe?? ;^)) ...........Just another theory out there why there seems to be such a big population of these classic big sized bikes. Interesting though that the seat is positioned so low on this one.
Old 09-29-09, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
... I'm wondering why so many tall riders seem to have barely used their bikes....
Based on what I see in the ads, people were bicycles that were too big, as the saddles are generally too low. I suspect they bought them because they were leftovers at a good sale price. They rode them a few dozen times, then parked them because they were the wrong fit.

BTW, there are qualifications for catch of the Day???
Old 09-29-09, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You know what I'd noticed T .. Back then, in my experience, some shops would steer me and my fellows , 5'8".. 5'10" to the 23" bikes. Not the pricey ones as posted necessarily but the average ones. I believe prevailing theories on sizing have normalized.
Old 09-29-09, 12:48 PM

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Based on what I see in the ads, people were bicycles that were too big, as the saddles are generally too low. I suspect they bought them because they were leftovers at a good sale price. They rode them a few dozen times, then parked them because they were the wrong fit.
In this case the seller was in the 5'6-8" range but he only had the bike because someone had left it behind in a house his family had purchased. It probably accumulated most of the cosmetic wear while it was under his porch!

BTW, there are qualifications for catch of the Day???
I guess not - it's not as screaming a deal as some but for around here it's pretty decent. I'll post it there, too.
Old 09-29-09, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
You know what I'd noticed T .. Back then, in my experience, some shops would steer me and my fellows , 5'8".. 5'10" to the 23" bikes. Not the pricey ones as posted necessarily but the average ones. I believe prevailing theories on sizing have normalized.
That's very true. Mass produced models generally only came in 3 sizes. When in doubt, or between sizes, most sales people would steer consumers towards the larger size, using the "grow into it" pitch, as most buyers were teenagers. Most purchasers didn't want to spend the extra money to step up to a bicycle with more size options. And a lot of salespeople didn't have the knowledge to properly fit a dropped bar road bicycle.

And yes, over time, bicycle sizes have tended to shrink for a set body size. Constantly improving road conditions allow for smaller and stiffer frames.

Still, a lot of the large bicycles I see for resale are obviously a couple of sizes too big. When you've only got about 1" of post showing, there's probably more to the story, usually either a good sale price or a 2nd hand purchase. Let's face it, the improperly fitting bicycles are more likely to be resold, so you'll see them more often.
Old 09-29-09, 01:51 PM
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Vitus tubing is great! I have a PSV-10 from 83 and my friend has a PSN from 85.
Old 09-29-09, 03:08 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Based on what I see in the ads, people were bicycles that were too big, as the saddles are generally too low.
Another theory is that the owners wanted to stand flat-footed on the ground while seated on the saddle.

Regarding Chombi's theory, I'm not sure too many basketball players would ride 60cm frames. I'm 6' and ride 60cm...I've got the ball handling skills of a cyclist, and the cycling skills of a basketball player.
Old 09-29-09, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn
That Vitus tubing is great! ....
+1 !

A really nice snag there, BTW.
Old 09-29-09, 06:21 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Another theory is that the owners wanted to stand flat-footed on the ground while seated on the saddle.

Regarding Chombi's theory, I'm not sure too many basketball players would ride 60cm frames. I'm 6' and ride 60cm...I've got the ball handling skills of a cyclist, and the cycling skills of a basketball player.
Here's a pic you might enjoy!:

Must be an 80CM frame or something.....
I used to stare at this pic in disbelief in the 80's.
The top tube on that bike loks to be a mile high from the ground.
Seeing Bill Walton attack from behind on his bike must have been scary!
Old 09-29-09, 07:07 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Must be an 80CM frame or something.....
I used to stare at this pic in disbelief in the 80's.
The top tube on that bike loks to be a mile high from the ground.
Seeing Bill Walton attack from behind on his bike must have been scary!
I knew someone would catch me on my disparaging comment about basketball players and bike handling!

His frame makes those look like 20" rims.