Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bianchi Volpe

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 10:59 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Bianchi Volpe

I figured this would be the best forum for my questions:

A. Has anybody rode one and how is it?

B. Is there a large difference in speed compared to a regular road bike?

C. Would you recommend this for someone who does a good amount of road riding?
Old 12-26-04, 07:48 PM
SAB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Volpe is a fairly typical steel cyclocross frame. I have ridden an Axis, which is aluminum, and I currently ride a steel 'cross bike from another manufacturer - I have not ridden the volpe. In general, 'cross bikes are good all-around bikes. They are not meant to be a ultra-light road racing bikes, and usually have a more relaxed geometry, although not as relaxed as a pure touring bike. There are cantilever brakes and space for slightly larger tires. There are eyelets for fenders/racks, should they be needed for touring purposes. If you run skinny tires and light wheels you won't be that much slower. But yes, the Volpe will be heavier than, say, a Trek 5.9 Madone or Merlin Titanium Ultralight - but only by a couple of pounds. The Volpe has a triple chainring to give you some low gears for trail riding or going up a hill with panniers.

In short, if you want a good all-around bike that you can use for road riding/training, touring, or cyclocross/trail riding than, yes, this is a good bike for you. If you are looking for a "pure" racing bike or a true touring bike than I wouldn't buy one.
Old 12-28-04, 02:50 PM
Hooversalem

Bikes: Bianchi Velope 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just bought a velope, i use it for comuting, and genral riding. I enjoy it i have about 200 miles on it. So far the shifts are not real smoth but that could be because i am used to the 105 not the tiagra. But all around i love it, my light has gone dead twice and i can hit things in the road and not worry about to much. I weigh about 250 and it rides great.
Old 12-29-04, 06:54 PM

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A. Has anybody rode one and how is it?
I own three road bikes, one is a Volpe which I purchased because
I retired my hybrid Trek 730 I was commuting on. The Volpe is a great
bike for the money and for general use, like commuting. I have to lock
up outside and my other road bikes would disappear. I have the burgundy
2001 Volpe and I covered some of the 'Bianchi's' with burgundy duct tape.
It's a stealth machine now.

B. Is there a large difference in speed compared to a regular road bike?

When not commuting, I often am riding among club racers with exotic racing bikes.
Last summer my 'fast' bike was out with a rim ding for a week and I took the Volpe
out on that circuit with Panaracer Pasela 32c tires (cheeeeep) On the racing bike,
my averages were: outward: 18.8 mph, back, 20.0 mph without strain.
On the Volpe. the numbers were 17.6 and 19.1mph.
The Volpe is heavier and Tiagra 'clunkier' than more expensive
gruppos. The stock 36 spoke T221 wheels from 2001 are heavier than my
Record hubs/ OpenPro rims but it feels fun to bunny hop the curbs with impunity
on a drop-bar bike. My Volpe's stock gearing is 48-38-28 chainrings and 11-30 cassette.
I am about to switch to a 12-26 cassette because I don't like the huge gaps and never need the 28f-30r.

When I get the bucks, I'll get an exotic cyclocross bike, probably a Major Jake,
but for now the Volpe is great. Jamis' Aurora and Ventura, Redline's standard
Conquest, and Novara Randonee are all worth a look, as are all the used
'cross bikes out there. It depends a lot whether you need the cantis-
for fatter tire and fender clearance.

C. Would you recommend this for someone who does a good amount of road riding?

It completely depends what a good amount is.
More than 60 miles per week spaced as say 3 x 20 mi. will get you in decent shape.
I was doing 100-150 mpw April through October.

very good luck and Happy New Year!

tvphobic

Last edited by tvphobic; 07-30-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-30-05, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SAB
The Volpe is a fairly typical steel cyclocross frame. I have ridden an Axis, which is aluminum, and I currently ride a steel 'cross bike from another manufacturer - I have not ridden the volpe. In general, 'cross bikes are good all-around bikes. They are not meant to be a ultra-light road racing bikes, and usually have a more relaxed geometry, although not as relaxed as a pure touring bike. There are cantilever brakes and space for slightly larger tires. There are eyelets for fenders/racks, should they be needed for touring purposes. If you run skinny tires and light wheels you won't be that much slower. But yes, the Volpe will be heavier than, say, a Trek 5.9 Madone or Merlin Titanium Ultralight - but only by a couple of pounds. The Volpe has a triple chainring to give you some low gears for trail riding or going up a hill with panniers.

In short, if you want a good all-around bike that you can use for road riding/training, touring, or cyclocross/trail riding than, yes, this is a good bike for you. If you are looking for a "pure" racing bike or a true touring bike than I wouldn't buy one.

mlopez 07/30/05
I too was interested in the Volpe for a tour bike but you said for true touring bike one should not consider the Volpe.

I've ridden all my life around Chicago, riding 10 - 40 miles once or twice a week. I'm interested in doing long tour going across states but I want a bike that's going to hold up. Which bike should I be looking for as a true touring bike? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,