Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Blown out knees

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 02:45 PM
mahhh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blown out knees

Has anyone in the messenger community or fixed gear riders in general ever blown there knees out or know someone first hand who has blown out there knee from riding skidding etc.? I've begun to develop a bit of soreness... maybe I should just lower my gear ratio...
Old 02-20-05, 02:54 PM
GG + Wendy O. 4EVA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some knee pads. You'd look like Alan Iverson...but riding a bike...
Old 02-20-05, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take glucosamine supplements, maybe run your clips a little looser (if you're using clips) or find clipless pedals with more float.. it's all about having your knees rotating in an anatomical position. glucosamine helps me a lot.. it takes about two months before you feel the effects, tho.
Old 02-20-05, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,498 Times in 1,109 Posts
If it doesn't go away, see a Doc. There isn't the slightest bit of sanity involved, in destroying your knees, to make a style statement.
Old 02-20-05, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had real problems with my knees when I first started riding fixed at work. It was quite debilatating at first; I'd actually have to lie down on the side of the road with my leg laid straight out, trying to stretch the pain out. Turns out that was just from a really high saddle height.

My knees are only sore in the slightest manner these days, and that's only after the longest days of brakeless. Learning to skid with your opposite foot forward seems like an insurmountable challenge, but at least give some preference to your left leg in exerting back pressure. I try to distribute equally when going down hills, as I know I have an unconscious preference to make the right leg do all the work.
Old 02-20-05, 03:33 PM

Bikes: '97 HooKooEKoo + '75-'85 Fuji Regis fixie conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear ratio may be it. It could also be saddle height. I have no idea what kind of riding your doing (brakeless with lots of starts and stops?), but you may want to get some nice long smooth rides with some higher rpm spinning to help condition your knees.

Also don't forget to stretch before going nuts. I've been loading trucks at the big brown check-out-what-I-got-on-ebay shipping service for almost 4 years. Strecthing and hydration has been able to keep me rockin'.
I once gave myself tendonitis in my wrist. They gave me a brace and I asked what kind of stresthing I could do to prevent getting it again. I've been doing that certain strecth and have had no problems since then.

Keep listening to your body. That's good to do. Now you just need to interpret what it's saying.

The Mayo Clinic has some words on stretching.
Old 02-20-05, 03:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or try a brake?
Old 02-20-05, 04:54 PM
mahhh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the sugestions, etc. To be more specific, I used to ride the stock set up on my bike, which was 170mm cranks 48x16 and never had the slightest problem. I then up-graded my cranks and wheelset: 165mm cranks 49x17, which technically should be a little easier going, but then the pain started, I did adjust the saddle hight which helped. Perhaps I'll just drop the gear ratio...
Old 02-20-05, 04:57 PM
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove your knee caps, then you can't blow out your knees.

Or rest for 2-3 days.
Old 02-20-05, 05:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thrilhou
thanks for all the sugestions, etc. To be more specific, I used to ride the stock set up on my bike, which was 170mm cranks 48x16 and never had the slightest problem. I then up-graded my cranks and wheelset: 165mm cranks 49x17, which technically should be a little easier going, but then the pain started, I did adjust the saddle hight which helped. Perhaps I'll just drop the gear ratio...

You need to adjust your position. Riding loger crank arms gave you more leverage like in road bikes. it handles bigger gears beter. Cold can be a factor ..getting cold in the knee can be bad if not taken care of correctly. Take it easy for your legs too adjust.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 02-20-05, 06:21 PM
hang up your boots

Bikes: 84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultra-g
Remove your knee caps, then you can't blow out your knees.

Or rest for 2-3 days.
also, be sure to remove any foreign particulate matter, regrease (using natural formula glucosamine and chondroitin) and repack the knee assembly. do not overtighten as you could damage articulating surfaces, but also do not under tighten or you could suffer from a loose ACL.
Old 02-20-05, 06:29 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thrilhou
Could be your new cranks have a different Q-Factor and you may need to adjust your cleat accordingly (if you use clipless pedals).
Old 02-20-05, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Miyata track, Schwinn Le Tour fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have tendinitis in my achilles but I'm just ignoring it right now. Do any of you guys know anything about this like if I will make it worse by continuing to ride? The discomfort is mild and it hasn't increased in the past couple weeks, but my leg makes a creaking/grinding noise when I move my foot.
Old 02-20-05, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonyates
I think I have tendinitis in my achilles but I'm just ignoring it right now. Do any of you guys know anything about this like if I will make it worse by continuing to ride? The discomfort is mild and it hasn't increased in the past couple weeks, but my leg makes a creaking/grinding noise when I move my foot.
I had something kind of like this. I attributed it to low-cut, really flimsy-soled shoes and it went away after I switched to some stiffer high-tops.
Old 02-20-05, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jay, Sent ya PM and don't put it off just get it looked at by a doctor.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 02-20-05, 08:30 PM
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonyates
i've had it, riding will almost certainly make it worse, DON'T ignore it.
go see a doc, there's stuff you can do to mitigate it (icing and nsaids are a good start, i generally use advil).

it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.