Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference between Octalink & ISIS cranks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am having a bike built by Guru, and I wanted FSA carbon cranks, but they tell me they are on back order until June. On eBay, I see a set of carbon cranks, and they are Octalink. I must profess my ignorance in that another one that was up for bid gave the bidder the choice of Octalink or ISSIS BB. Is it simply a differenct kind of bottom bracket with the actual crank being the same? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-05, 02:06 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bottom bracket/crank arm interface (where they are bolted together) are different. You would need an octalink bb matched to octalink cranks for example.
Old 03-05-05, 02:21 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Octalink has 8 splines, where ISIS has 10 splines, (I think).
Old 03-05-05, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Octalink has 8 splines, where ISIS has 10 splines, (I think).
You wouldn't happen to know if an FSA Megaexo intergrated BB is compatable with an Octalink crank would you? My bike is coming with that BB, and I have bid on this crank, and now am wonderfing if it will be compatable with my BB.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Old 03-05-05, 07:25 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Doubt it. FSA makes isis bb's.

BTW...SAWEET BB
Old 03-05-05, 07:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Doubt it. FSA makes isis bb's.

BTW...SAWEET BB
Uh oh, I might have screwed up bidding for that set of cranks.
Old 03-05-05, 07:52 PM
Back to granite

Bikes: '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Octalink is Shimano's version of a splined crank to BB interface. Per usual, Shimano decided it best to not use the ISIS standard that several manufacturers have agreed to use and share freely, instead creating their own design, requiring users to stick with Octalink products. So the parts are not interchangable.

Good luck with your build, can always sell the cranks off if you end winning the auction I guess.
Old 03-05-05, 08:02 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ide keep the cranks if you win them, they are quite nice
Old 03-05-05, 08:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
Ide keep the cranks if you win them, they are quite nice
They sure look nice, and it would probably be easier to simply but a compatable BB on the machine and keep those wonderful carbon cranks!
Old 03-05-05, 08:39 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skydive69
They sure look nice, and it would probably be easier to simply but a compatable BB on the machine and keep those wonderful carbon cranks!
I agree entirely.
Old 03-06-05, 07:45 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know if an FSA Megaexo intergrated BB is compatable with an Octalink crank would you? My bike is coming with that BB, and I have bid on this crank, and now am wonderfing if it will be compatable with my BB.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Err FSA Mega-EXO is one of the new integrated BB cranks. IE the BB Spindle is part of the right side crank arm. The bearings are external like the DA or new Ultegra. So the answer is you can't use any other crank with your BB because it is part of the crank. Now which Mega-EXO is it coming with?

Here is the FSA product line, notice there are 4 doubles (2 of which are carbon), 2 compact and one triple in the Mega-EXO style.

This is not to say you can't use the crank you bid on on eBay but you will have to get a new BB as well which means you can bid on either the ISIS or Octalink as you then just buy the proper BB to go with what you win. FSA has stopped making Octalink cranks as they don't sell an Octalink BB and only want to support what they sell, the Octalink version you are looking at is NOS. FWIW the Mega-EXO threads into the same BB as an ISIS or Octalink so there wont be a compatibility issue there.
Old 03-06-05, 10:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Err FSA Mega-EXO is one of the new integrated BB cranks. IE the BB Spindle is part of the right side crank arm. The bearings are external like the DA or new Ultegra. So the answer is you can't use any other crank with your BB because it is part of the crank. Now which Mega-EXO is it coming with?

Here is the FSA product line, notice there are 4 doubles (2 of which are carbon), 2 compact and one triple in the Mega-EXO style.

This is not to say you can't use the crank you bid on on eBay but you will have to get a new BB as well which means you can bid on either the ISIS or Octalink as you then just buy the proper BB to go with what you win. FSA has stopped making Octalink cranks as they don't sell an Octalink BB and only want to support what they sell, the Octalink version you are looking at is NOS. FWIW the Mega-EXO threads into the same BB as an ISIS or Octalink so there wont be a compatibility issue there.
The crank that comes with the bike is the FSA Gosamer (sp?).
Old 03-06-05, 11:11 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The crank that comes with the bike is the FSA Gosamer (sp?).
Right Gossamer Mega-EXO is one of the options from FSA. They come in double, compact and triple and have the integrated BB and use the oversize outboard bearings. Is it a compact? If so do you want to sell it to offset the funds for the carbon setup?
Old 03-06-05, 11:18 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Right Gossamer Mega-EXO is one of the options from FSA. They come in double, compact and triple and have the integrated BB and use the oversize outboard bearings. Is it a compact? If so do you want to sell it to offset the funds for the carbon setup?
I decided to cancel my bid on eBay, because I was venturing into country that I was not familiar with. I am still in the process of making final decisions as to how the bike will come equipped. One delightful thing it is coming with is a set of beautiful Zipp 999's!