Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

01'-02' Rockshox BoXXer's.. what's your thoughts?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 06:20 AM
Hucker Extraordinare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey fellas. I was wanting to see what you a'll's opinions on the BoXXer is. I have a possible trade and $75.00 for one. ( $75.00 + an 03' DJ2 for the Boxxer). It's in need of new seals, and new stickers... but other than that it's fine.

What would you guys think... is this a good trade?

How hard are the seals to replace?

The fork has been used for hucking and urban by a 240LB clydsdale for the past year and a half. It doesn't leak all over the place, but the seals do gooze a little bit onto the stantions.

How would this fork perform on my BigHit Comp for Urban, DH, Hucking, Drops, JUMPS, and Trails (yes... trails & singletrack!), and overall "everything riding" (which is what I do).

Please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Matt
Old 02-28-03, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd keep the DJ2. That fork sounds like it's been worked over! You're only like 160 lbs right? You'd have to replace the springs, oil weight...etc. You're opening up a can of worms getting that thing.

I'd wait and get a different fork. If you want more travel, buy a Super T. A lot of places have em on closeout!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 02-28-03, 09:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I'd stick with the DJ 2 and not bother with the whole tripple clamp ordeal
Old 02-28-03, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have to agree with the rest of the guys.. If you're doing all around riding... just stick with the single crown! I mean if you get into hucking stuff over 7ft then think about going to a bigger fork...but even then, if you're smooth enough you should be fine. I love the boxxer, I'll always ride one for DH..but for everthing else it's just over kill.
The seals aren't a huge deal to replace, but like A2P said...you'd have to change the springs, and the oil... and the springs aren't to cheap.
If you are really set on looking more into getting that fork...do this to see if the seals are really shot or if the guy just didn't ever clean his seals.

Get some shock oil...(or you could even a chain lube...but I wouldn't recomend it)
Then put the oil on the stanchon tube and let it drip down to the seals( do this on both legs)
Once the oil has worked it's way to the seals compress the fork and see if when it uncompresses there is any goo left on the stanchions, if there is then keep repeating this process over and over till there isn't any dirt coming out.

The seals on the boxxer are designed to be cleaned this way without having ot completely overhaul the fork. I'm not saying that this is the best way...but it works for lessening the number of times you have to completely tear it apart and get all the gunk out/rebuild it

What this means is that he never cleaned the seals out and that's not to big of a deal..except that you will be needing to replace them down the road.

If when you do do this and notice that it is inconsitant every time...like alot comes out and other times a little comes out and other times... you get a solid ring around the stanchon tube and other times you get a half ring..or it's broken in spots then the seals may be dead( I hope that made sense)

Well good luck on what you decide to do.

Old 02-28-03, 12:37 PM
Hucker Extraordinare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I really appriciate everyone's responses.

I was looking into a DC fork, simply because I do do a lot of hucking and jumping off of stuff.

DO they make lighter springs for the DJ 2 ? I'm 160, and I do ride pretty smooth. I "float" the bike ovr obstacles, and I flow through the corners.

Anyway, the seller has decided not to sell now... so I'll have my DJ2 for a while. My fork is in perfect shape, minus a little bit of sticker sratches and tire rub.

Thanks fellas. I appriciate your time.
Old 02-28-03, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marzocchi usually puts "medium" stiffness springs in most of the forks from the factory. To tell you honestly, I don't know if they make a softer spring, I'm always swapping them out for X-tra Heavy! ha, ha!

L8r
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 03-01-03, 12:20 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They do have a lighter spring but as A2 said most people swap up not down...so most stores I know of don't carry baby weight springs