Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever order from Fixiestop.com?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Anybody ever order from Fixiestop.com?

Old 02-11-16, 07:59 AM
  #1  
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 174 Posts
Anybody ever order from Fixiestop.com?

Does anyone have experience with these people? Are they even people? I ordered a pr. of tires and got an order confirmation email but then radio silence. That was a couple weeks ago. They don't answer emails or voice mails. I began a Paypal claim but they can only do so much.

If anyone has info I would appreciate it. Or just let this be a heads-up.
due ruote is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 09:07 AM
  #2  
nripin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
Does anyone have experience with these people? .
did not find them at Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores i would not buy from a store unless they have good review !
nripin is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 09:34 PM
  #3  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,064

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 763 Posts
Any website that has fixie in the name should be avoided at all costs. I would say most if not all are scam websites targeted at unsuspecting youngsters and maybe their naive parents.

If you have no local shop anywhere near you and absolutely cannot find a semi local retailer near you with an online store. I would try Retrogression. They specialized in Fixed gear and single speed crap. Plus if you have any issues, Scrod who owns that bidniss is a forum member. They also have an actual Brick and Mortar shop in Cal-ee-forn-eee-ya (said in Ahnuld voice) which is always a plus.

Everyone seems to be satisfied with his business and what he sells. Plus he sells Black Sabbath records and who doesn't like Black Sabbath (except maybe Tipper Gore and her fellow right wing music haters but they hate everything aside from killing fun).
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-12-16, 11:31 AM
  #4  
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 174 Posts
Yeah, I consider it pretty boneheaded of me to have ordered from them. It was a late night thing and they were the only ones I could find showing the tires I wanted in tan sidewall. In retrospect that probably should have been a red flag as well.

I still don't know for sure that they are scammers, or just screw-ups. Last night I got an email from the site asking me to review the tires - which, while slightly surreal, seems an odd play for someone who just wants to take my money and run.
due ruote is offline  
Old 02-12-16, 11:38 AM
  #5  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,064

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
Yeah, I consider it pretty boneheaded of me to have ordered from them. It was a late night thing and they were the only ones I could find showing the tires I wanted in tan sidewall. In retrospect that probably should have been a red flag as well.

I still don't know for sure that they are scammers, or just screw-ups. Last night I got an email from the site asking me to review the tires - which, while slightly surreal, seems an odd play for someone who just wants to take my money and run.
What tires are you looking for that don't exist anywhere else in the world? Surely if they were good tires other more legitimate vendors would sell them and if not they probably aren't good tires worth your time. Compass Cycles sells plenty of skinwalls that seem to always get good reviews and any shop with an account with Merry Sales Co. can get you access to plenty of skinwalls from Panasonic (some with other brands on them like Rivendell and IRD but mostly likely made by Pana) You can also go to the Merry Sales website and download a price free catalog so you can figure out what you want before you head out or just see all the cool Japanese stuff that is harder to get in the U.S. that they carry.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-12-16, 03:37 PM
  #6  
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
What tires are you looking for that don't exist anywhere else in the world? Surely if they were good tires other more legitimate vendors would sell them and if not they probably aren't good tires worth your time. Compass Cycles sells plenty of skinwalls that seem to always get good reviews and any shop with an account with Merry Sales Co. can get you access to plenty of skinwalls from Panasonic (some with other brands on them like Rivendell and IRD but mostly likely made by Pana) You can also go to the Merry Sales website and download a price free catalog so you can figure out what you want before you head out or just see all the cool Japanese stuff that is harder to get in the U.S. that they carry.
Resist Nomad. They used to make them with a tan sidewall, but now just make black and red. When I found them at the mystery e-shop, I thought "oh, they still have some" and quickly put an order in.

Not a big deal; I will just keep using Paselas for the time being. The Resist tires had gotten some good press on the C&V forum as a light, high volume tire for a budget price, so I thought I'd try them. Not quite ready to shell out for Compass tires but I hear they are nice.
due ruote is offline  
Old 02-13-16, 02:32 PM
  #7  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,064

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
Resist Nomad. They used to make them with a tan sidewall, but now just make black and red. When I found them at the mystery e-shop, I thought "oh, they still have some" and quickly put an order in.

Not a big deal; I will just keep using Paselas for the time being. The Resist tires had gotten some good press on the C&V forum as a light, high volume tire for a budget price, so I thought I'd try them. Not quite ready to shell out for Compass tires but I hear they are nice.
I got this link from going to their website:
Nomad Tires by Resist Parts ? Demolition Parts Co

However me I would pay up for the Compass tires. You ride and enjoy the bike and a nice set of tires is always a good way to improve the ride and maybe get you out there riding more.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-13-16, 02:36 PM
  #8  
Scrodzilla
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26,054
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I got this link from going to their website:
Nomad Tires by Resist Parts ? Demolition Parts Co
Note that tan wall are only available in 26".
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 02-13-16, 02:40 PM
  #9  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,064

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Note that tan wall are only available in 26".
True but I don't remember ever actually getting a tire size from OP and I don't know enough about those tires to know if they come in 700C or other sizes because I didn't bother looking very hard.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-13-16, 08:22 PM
  #10  
Scrodzilla
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26,054
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 49 Posts
Yeah, true dat.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 02-13-16, 09:19 PM
  #11  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,064

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Yeah, true dat.
True dat, indeed! Most indeededly.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-14-16, 11:44 PM
  #12  
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
True but I don't remember ever actually getting a tire size from OP and I don't know enough about those tires to know if they come in 700C or other sizes because I didn't bother looking very hard.
I was looking for 700 x 35. I contacted the company and they confirmed they phased out the tan sidewall in that size.
due ruote is offline  
Old 02-15-16, 10:07 AM
  #13  
Scrodzilla
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26,054
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 49 Posts
You're better off with Pasellas anyway. A few years ago I was riding on 28c Nomads and never got more flats in my life.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 02-22-16, 11:42 AM
  #14  
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
You're better off with Pasellas anyway. A few years ago I was riding on 28c Nomads and never got more flats in my life.
OK, thanks. Good to know. Just to wrap this up, the Paypal dispute resolved in my favor and I was reimbursed. It's kind of hard to parse from what Paypal said in the email, but it sounded to me like they were able to recover money from the seller's account, something I wouldn't have expected if they were serious criminals. So maybe they are just poor business people.
due ruote is offline  
Old 02-22-16, 11:58 AM
  #15  
EnzoRWD
enginerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MKE
Posts: 688

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Note that tan wall are only available in 26".
I supposedly have some 700x45 tan Nomads coming on Thursday. We'll see what they actually are.
EnzoRWD is offline  
Old 02-24-16, 07:17 PM
  #16  
due ruote 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,328
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD View Post
I supposedly have some 700x45 tan Nomads coming on Thursday. We'll see what they actually are.
They definitely used to make them, so it's possible. Do you mind saying where you found them?
due ruote is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
brianinc-ville
Classic & Vintage
10
05-05-15 05:58 PM
RoadTire
General Cycling Discussion
8
11-16-14 11:55 AM
illusiumd
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
5
09-03-14 07:15 PM
Fizziii
Mountain - Plains
15
06-25-12 09:27 AM
alpha_bravo
Texas
2
02-25-12 04:28 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.