Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Unknown Bikes: Took my money - no bike, no contact!?

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Unknown Bikes: Took my money - no bike, no contact!?

Old 10-26-16, 03:18 PM
  #76  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stasher1 View Post
Update?
:0 wasn't sure anyone here still wanted updates...

They did eventually come through and ship everything they said they would.. the only mistakes being the frame was completely the wrong colour.. and some parts I spec'd were wrong, ie drops instead of bullhorns etc.. small annoying mistakes since when replacing them I will probably go with more pricey options.. etc.

The real issue was not even the time I waited, but it was their communication, and then the mistakes on the order while they were not critical, they were just icing on the cake. Other companies have been out of stock on their main items before but they make sure everyone knows, ie Leader posted updates on their website when they were out of 735s etc, and then sent emails and updated the website when they were back in stock. Things like that so that people at least know what is going on and don't go nutz thinking the company is going under! ..Speaking of them going under it does not seem to be the case. Once I got my items I think orders started shipping again and they even updated their FB that they have a new model coming out in 2017, so I guess they are fine.

In terms of mid-range alloy track frames, the quality seems very good. I would put it above the State Black Label I owned. The welds look good and clean. It's supposedly triple butted etc, and it's fairly light, I have yet to weigh it. Their carbon components seem really good and have a nice finish - I have the forks and seatpost and they are incredibly light.

The shame is if you look at the company, they have seemingly a good size footprint in Korea, and they could be big in the US I think - they have more diverse products than say Leader, at least in terms of their overall product line (not just what's for sale in North America) and they have some know how - they started with fgfs and apparently have a pretty good reputation.. They just do not seem to care too much about the North American market, and it shows by having only a few frames for sale here, all aluminum, and obviously conducting your customer service or lack thereof in such a way cannot be good.

If I had to make some suggestions I would say introduce at least one higher end frame here, update the logo and website, hire at least 1 customer service person to handle emails and go from there because there's nothing really standing in the way of competing with the Aventon, Leader and States of the world..
msa1082 is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 03:28 PM
  #77  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,949

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The moral of the story: Vincent Shim sucks.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 03:50 PM
  #78  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,606

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
They made you wait months with no communication, then sent you the wrong parts, and these are small mistakes?
seau grateau is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 03:51 PM
  #79  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So you kept all that wrong stuff? Wrong wheels, wrong frame, wrong bars? You ate all that?
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 04:05 PM
  #80  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,949

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 04:08 PM
  #81  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,606

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
*adds new name to list of ******** I won't give my money to*
seau grateau is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 04:34 PM
  #82  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah it does suck.. But paying return shipping to a company who doesn't answer isn't really an option (and I can only imagine how quickly they will print me out a prepaid return international shipping label)..so I'm just going to build it and sell it for more than I paid.. And be more careful next time.
The end result could basically be this or loads more stress and time which I really can care less to go through.. Plus look at all the bad publicity they get just from stupid careless stunts like this.. If they ruin it they ruin it for themselves because people like me give their money, trust and ample opportunity to make things right and they spit in my face essentially, so screw it, screw them. I hope they change the way they do business cause they can't survive like this forever..
msa1082 is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 04:42 PM
  #83  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msa1082 View Post
Yeah it does suck.. But paying return shipping to a company who doesn't answer isn't really an option (and I can only imagine how quickly they will print me out a prepaid return international shipping label)..so I'm just going to build it and sell it for more than I paid.. And be more careful next time.
The end result could basically be this or loads more stress and time which I really can care less to go through.. Plus look at all the bad publicity they get just from stupid careless stunts like this.. If they ruin it they ruin it for themselves because people like me give their money, trust and ample opportunity to make things right and they spit in my face essentially, so screw it, screw them. I hope they change the way they do business cause they can't survive like this forever..

There is NO return shipping cost. Dispute the charge and you don't pay. If they want their stuff back, THEY need to make the arrangements, not you. There would be NO hassle or stress for you, it would all be on them. Now you have to build the bike, list it for sale, deal with lookie-loos, negotiate with potential buyers.....
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 04:45 PM
  #84  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
There is NO return shipping cost. Dispute the charge and you don't pay. If they want their stuff back, THEY need to make the arrangements, not you. There would be NO hassle or stress for you, it would all be on them. Now you have to build the bike, list it for sale, deal with lookie-loos, negotiate with potential buyers.....
Ok I will let you guys know the outcome.

Since emailing them on my options to return or change it and they have not responded as of yet.. That is probably grounds..
msa1082 is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 05:54 PM
  #85  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,949

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msa1082 View Post
so I'm just going to build it and sell it for more than I paid.
Good luck with that.

In my opinion you'd be better off not bolting anything together and trying to sell all the parts as 'new'.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 10-27-16, 08:16 AM
  #86  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vincent Sham
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 10-27-16, 02:29 PM
  #87  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Good luck with that.

In my opinion you'd be better off not bolting anything together and trying to sell all the parts as 'new'.
The reason I was thinking to assemble it is that as a whole these bikes typically go for higher than what you can pay online for.. at least to my experience. Years ago I bought a $150 bike off Ebay, my first FG..I sold it for $250. I sold my State for $1200 complete, and I got a huge discount on it, I believe I paid $700 even no tax, straight from State. I have a "Critical" FG bike I bought from Amazon I think I paid $150 CAD + Tax and I had it posted on Kijiji and got swarmed with email for $350..then I just decided not to sell it. Anytime a Leader or anything like that gets posted it doesn't appear to be for long and it's always in the $1K + price point.

If I were to sell this frame + components I can see maybe getting $300 - $400 and that's finding someone who wants a frame.. and the rest.. it's not really worth anything - generic parts don't go for much so I can see maybe getting $100 more for everything.. Just seems ppl go nutz for completes here that are already built and have a set of pedals and are ready to ride.

The used market here seems to be just absurdly overpriced to the point you may as well just get something brand new.
msa1082 is offline  
Old 10-27-16, 03:02 PM
  #88  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,606

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Vincent Sham
seau grateau is offline  
Old 10-28-16, 03:40 PM
  #89  
Carcosa
Senior Member
 
Carcosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msa1082 View Post
The reason I was thinking to assemble it is that as a whole these bikes typically go for higher than what you can pay online for.. at least to my experience. Years ago I bought a $150 bike off Ebay, my first FG..I sold it for $250. I sold my State for $1200 complete, and I got a huge discount on it, I believe I paid $700 even no tax, straight from State. I have a "Critical" FG bike I bought from Amazon I think I paid $150 CAD + Tax and I had it posted on Kijiji and got swarmed with email for $350..then I just decided not to sell it. Anytime a Leader or anything like that gets posted it doesn't appear to be for long and it's always in the $1K + price point.

If I were to sell this frame + components I can see maybe getting $300 - $400 and that's finding someone who wants a frame.. and the rest.. it's not really worth anything - generic parts don't go for much so I can see maybe getting $100 more for everything.. Just seems ppl go nutz for completes here that are already built and have a set of pedals and are ready to ride.

The used market here seems to be just absurdly overpriced to the point you may as well just get something brand new.
I need to move to where you live.
Carcosa is offline  
Old 10-28-16, 04:46 PM
  #90  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,154

Bikes: 29 frames + 72 wheels

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa View Post
I need to move to where you live.
So, you like cold weather ?
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 10-30-16, 11:12 AM
  #91  
Carcosa
Senior Member
 
Carcosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
So, you like cold weather ?
I like anywhere that I can sell a Leader for $1k +
Carcosa is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 01:45 PM
  #92  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ Things are different here.. Most bike shops look at you like ur nutz if you walk in with a fixed gear.

Jamis was forced to liquidate the Soniks for < half price and I just went there yesterday to see a whole bunch of them just sitting there.. so that's about me and 1 other person since late 2014 who have purchased one... They didn't even bother to stock the 2016 model.
msa1082 is offline  
Old 11-07-16, 06:36 PM
  #93  
Lucillle
Lucille
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by msa1082 View Post
Ok I will let you guys know the outcome.

Since emailing them on my options to return or change it and they have not responded as of yet.. That is probably grounds..
Why haven't you started a chargeback yet?
Lucillle is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 01:19 PM
  #94  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update - things get done if Kim Nark Young gets involved. He's the owner of the Korean company. The company made "restitution" as best they could. They sent me every carbon fiber part they have for free, and another free wheelset, and some tires, so I've accepted that as a suitable substitute for .. I won't even say good service, but service.

Rather than charging anything back, I will hold onto this for now. Maybe use it, maybe not. I don't know.

It's an eye opening experience to say the least.

Never seen anything like this from any company even remotely close to this size.
msa1082 is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 02:58 PM
  #95  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,144

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6432 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by msa1082 View Post
Kim Nark Young gets involved. He's the owner of the Korean company.
Sure is a happy lookin' feller.

TimothyH is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 03:37 PM
  #96  
e30jean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get your money back and send that pile back at their cost. In the end you didn't even get what you wanted...

For $1000, you can walk into LBS and pick up last year model Fuji Track Pro.
e30jean is offline  
Old 11-21-16, 12:00 PM
  #97  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..I looked into the Fuji. I'm just sorry I didn't find this forum beforehand - that bike is right on par with the Jamis and spec'd even a bit better.. in some areas like the crank set.. The Sonik however is an absolute perfect fit.. it's got a shorter top tube than most frames of it's size, including the Fuji, which has always been a bit of an issue for me.. It allows me to use a normal stem without any issue.. so I am quite happy at least with one bike. Never had anything fit so well.

Last edited by msa1082; 11-21-16 at 12:04 PM.
msa1082 is offline  
Old 11-21-16, 12:07 PM
  #98  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,949

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msa1082 View Post
Update - things get done if Kim Nark Young gets involved. He's the owner of the Korean company. The company made "restitution" as best they could. They sent me every carbon fiber part they have for free, and another free wheelset, and some tires, so I've accepted that as a suitable substitute for .. I won't even say good service, but service.

Rather than charging anything back, I will hold onto this for now. Maybe use it, maybe not. I don't know.

It's an eye opening experience to say the least.

Never seen anything like this from any company even remotely close to this size.
Originally Posted by e30jean View Post
Get your money back and send that pile back at their cost. In the end you didn't even get what you wanted...
There's a fine line between being tolerant and being a sucker.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 11-21-16, 02:56 PM
  #99  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent a grand and never got what you wanted.

More dollars than sense.
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 11-27-16, 10:09 PM
  #100  
msa1082
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
msa1082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get it more money than brains.. Well you will be happy to know I did get enough encouragement from this forum to just do a charge back so..

I may have been way too tolerant but even after they tried to fix things by sending some free things.. I saw on the FB page they are still doing this to most every customer, which quite frankly... Is plain ridiculous. Plus.. The carbon items they sell for $100 are.. Probably not worth that much.

If everyone they screw over like that gets their credit provider invioved maybe they will stop.

If not even for my money but to try and help the situation - that is what I did.



Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Spent a grand and never got what you wanted.

More dollars than sense.
msa1082 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.