Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Pedal options

Old 12-16-17, 05:22 PM
  #26  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Yes, I do know things. One of those things is that you are wrong.
I wasn't talking about you. Oh yeah? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Ride_Fast is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 05:28 PM
  #27  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,709

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 726 Posts
I've tried multifunction pedals. They were a pain in the ass. Whenever I was riding with plain shoes, the SPD side always came up to meet my shoe when starting out. When I was riding SPD shoes, I'd have to deal with the plain side coming up and then having to spin it around to clip in.

When it comes down to needing your shoes and pedals to work together instantly every time, commit to one system or another.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 05:39 PM
  #28  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I've tried multifunction pedals. They were a pain in the ass. Whenever I was riding with plain shoes, the SPD side always came up to meet my shoe when starting out. When I was riding SPD shoes, I'd have to deal with the plain side coming up and then having to spin it around to clip in.

When it comes down to needing your shoes and pedals to work together instantly every time, commit to one system or another.
Depends on what you're doing. If I'm riding in the city with shoes I can deal with the spd side coming up, just keep your foot on the spd side and adjust it as you as pedal. Don't attempt to fix it while you're riding with traffic. It's the same exact thing with straps, just gain a little speed and adjust.

If you're out on a plain road it doesn't matter, it's not like you're constantly stopping to clip on. Once you're clipped, you're clipped and you don't have to worry about it.
Ride_Fast is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 05:39 PM
  #29  
Euthyphro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast View Post
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
You're being very un-Dude. Go put on Songs of the Whale instead of being angry on the internet.
Euthyphro is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 05:41 PM
  #30  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Euthyphro View Post
You're being very un-Dude. Go put on Songs of the Whale instead of being angry on the internet.
lol Not at the slightest, just keeping it real.
Ride_Fast is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 06:03 PM
  #31  
takenreasy
Senior Member
 
takenreasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 402

Bikes: 83 Bianchi Special 96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 09 Gary Fisher Paragon 09 Surly Cross Check 11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Use platform pedals.
takenreasy is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 06:27 PM
  #32  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,709

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast View Post
Depends on what you're doing. If I'm riding in the city with shoes I can deal with the spd side coming up, just keep your foot on the spd side and adjust it as you as pedal. Don't attempt to fix it while you're riding with traffic. It's the same exact thing with straps, just gain a little speed and adjust.

If you're out on a plain road it doesn't matter, it's not like you're constantly stopping to clip on. Once you're clipped, you're clipped and you don't have to worry about it.
Yep, sounds like the kinds of things I did when I still thought multifunction pedals were a good idea. Good riddance to that. Now, my process is:

1) put my foot down on the pedal -> it's clipped in until I don't want it to be.
2) take my foot off the pedal, leading with the heal -> it's unclipped and ready to be put down.

With practice, it all happens before you know it.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 07:02 PM
  #33  
Scrodzilla
This place sucks.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26,054
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 50 Posts
On my ride home from work today - in busy San Diego weekend surface street traffic - I purposely came to a complete stop at every intersection, four-way stop, etc, unclipped and clipped back in. No problems like the OP is describing. I guess some of us are just good at stuff.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 10:17 PM
  #34  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico View Post
I love this forum
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:25 AM
  #35  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,347

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Cross bike - SPD
Mountain bike - SPD
Fixed gear - SPD
Road bike - SPD
Fat bike - SPD

I cannot think of one time during the several thousands of miles I have ridden where I crashed because I couldn't get unclipped fast enough to put a foot down. I was hit by the driver of an SUV in an alley and managed to unclip both feet before colliding with the vehicle which was my only option. From riding back country roads to riding in rush hour traffic in Chicago and everything between.... you simply figure it out. It is such a natural motion now that I don't even think about it. Having good control of your bike and a good sense of balance will often be just enough so that even if you for some reason forgot how to unclip or couldn't figure it out, you would still have enough time to get your foot unclipped and down.

So, my suggestion is to learn how to ride, how to stop or at least do a very slow roll without putting your foot down. There are several tutorial videos on YouTube on how to properly execute a track stand. Learn how to do this, and how to control your balance and your bike, and then give it a shot.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 01:03 AM
  #36  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
On my ride home from work today - in busy San Diego weekend surface street traffic - I purposely came to a complete stop at every intersection, four-way stop, etc, unclipped and clipped back in. No problems like the OP is describing.
So do you always ride like a good boy? I'm not against spd's. If that's the only thing you stick to, that's fine, but I prefer straps when I'm working.

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
I cannot think of one time during the several thousands of miles I have ridden where I crashed because I couldn't get unclipped fast enough to put a foot down. I was hit by the driver of an SUV in an alley and managed to unclip both feet before colliding with the vehicle which was my only option. From riding back country roads to riding in rush hour traffic in Chicago and everything between.... you simply figure it out. It is such a natural motion now that I don't even think about it. Having good control of your bike and a good sense of balance will often be just enough so that even if you for some reason forgot how to unclip or couldn't figure it out, you would still have enough time to get your foot unclipped and down.

So, my suggestion is to learn how to ride, how to stop or at least do a very slow roll without putting your foot down. There are several tutorial videos on YouTube on how to properly execute a track stand. Learn how to do this, and how to control your balance and your bike, and then give it a shot.
I know how it works, thanks. You missed that part where I mentioned "sudden stops". And yeah you'll do fine for the most part.

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 12-17-17 at 01:17 AM.
Ride_Fast is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 04:34 AM
  #37  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,936

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 168 Posts
Just get the Wellgos.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 09:16 AM
  #38  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,347

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast View Post
So do you always ride like a good boy? I'm not against spd's. If that's the only thing you stick to, that's fine, but I prefer straps when I'm working.



I know how it works, thanks. You missed that part where I mentioned "sudden stops". And yeah you'll do fine for the most part.
The sudden stop? This is where you learn how to track stand and use the balance and your inner core. Just because a bicycle is not in motion doesn't mean you need to have a foot down.

Now, I know that some people prefer straps, and some prefer to just clip in. Never even considered trying straps because once I started using SPD - that was it. Had found what works for me. You can find normal looking shoes that are SPD compatible so that you can walk while you are working. Guessing that you are doing some sort of bike delivery by your posts.

TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 09:41 AM
  #39  
North Coast Joe
Senior Member
 
North Coast Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
Posts: 600

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
As the post above states!

Riding like a good boy is not only safer, but makes you a stronger, more balanced rider with better bike control!
North Coast Joe is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 10:17 AM
  #40  
Unkle Rico
Senior Member
 
Unkle Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: dEnVeR
Posts: 1,684

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get some rollerblades
Unkle Rico is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 10:27 AM
  #41  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,347

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Get a big wheel
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 10:29 AM
  #42  
Scrodzilla
This place sucks.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26,054
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 50 Posts
Get over yourself.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 11:39 AM
  #43  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 110 Posts
Excellent string of posts right there.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 11:51 AM
  #44  
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon Co., Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, yes it was!
__________________
'10 Specialized Hardrock
steve-in-kville is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:37 PM
  #45  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Yep, sounds like the kinds of things I did when I still thought multifunction pedals were a good idea. Good riddance to that. Now, my process is:

1) put my foot down on the pedal -> it's clipped in until I don't want it to be.
2) take my foot off the pedal, leading with the heal -> it's unclipped and ready to be put down.

With practice, it all happens before you know it.
But what if you want to ride with normal shoes? :\

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
The sudden stop? This is where you learn how to track stand and use the balance and your inner core. Just because a bicycle is not in motion doesn't mean you need to have a foot down.

Now, I know that some people prefer straps, and some prefer to just clip in. Never even considered trying straps because once I started using SPD - that was it. Had found what works for me. You can find normal looking shoes that are SPD compatible so that you can walk while you are working. Guessing that you are doing some sort of bike delivery by your posts.
Yeah that's what I do for work. I'll be honest, track standing is not something I do in the middle of an intersection. It's also not something I practice often, or any other bike trick for that matter except going handless, and that's really the most useful thing you can learn to get stuff out of your bag aside from bunny hopping. I focus more on speed and endurance.

What kind of shoes do you use? I don't have the "best" stuff, but I am planning to go all out once I join the military, and I also plan on joining their cycling team. I currently use Shimano SPD M065.

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 12-17-17 at 12:47 PM.
Ride_Fast is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:51 PM
  #46  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,709

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast View Post
But what if you want to ride with normal shoes? :\
Why would I?
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:57 PM
  #47  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,665

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast View Post
Did you notice that all 3 were multi-function? I own the PD-A530, it's basically the same pedal with a flat platform side. The reason I want a cage style pedal is to put a strap on one side when I'm riding in the city. I think sliding your foot out is easier if you have to stop suddenly vs clipping off. However I would still like the option to clip on when I'm on the road, and removing the pedals too often is not good.
"... and removing the pedals too often is not good." If you don't sock your pedals down tight with a huge wrench, you can remove and replace them many times. The wrenches come huge so you can remove pedals someone else socked down but a small wrench and nothing special for hand strength and exertion will get them on just fine. (Remember, as long as the bearings are in good shape, pedals self-tighten.)

Observe that bikes used to rentals and loans come without pedals/ you bring your own and you shoes. No one, even those with their money ties up in those bikes sweats the frequent pedal changes.

On my bikes, changing pedals is much easier than messing with clips and straps every time I want to swap my ride.

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:59 PM
  #48  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
Just get the Wellgos.
I'll probably just do that. I own both wellgo and VP pedals. As far as I know they're both cheap, but not the worst. Do you know if Venzo is a good brand? I'm thinking it's the same ****.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Why would I?
I dunno, maybe you're doing something simple like going to a store or going somewhere with your friend? Would you really want to wear your SPD's? When I put my spd's on or full gear that means they're going to be on for a while, and I'm going to sweat ... A lot.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
"... and removing the pedals too often is not good." If you don't sock your pedals down tight with a huge wrench, you can remove and replace them many times. The wrenches come huge so you can remove pedals someone else socked down but a small wrench and nothing special for hand strength and exertion will get them on just fine. (Remember, as long as the bearings are in good shape, pedals self-tighten.)

Observe that bikes used to rentals and loans come without pedals/ you bring your own and you shoes. No one, even those with their money ties up in those bikes sweats the frequent pedal changes.

On my bikes, changing pedals is much easier than messing with clips and straps every time I want to swap my ride.

Ben
Good for know for the future, thank you.

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 12-17-17 at 01:05 PM.
Ride_Fast is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 01:10 PM
  #49  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,709

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast View Post
I dunno, maybe you're doing something simple like going to a store or going somewhere with your friend? Would you really want to wear your SPD's? When I put my spd's on or full gear that means they're going to be on for a while, and I'm going to sweat ... A lot.
Putting on and riding with SPD shoes is simple, so perhaps I don't understand the question. I love riding them no matter how short the distance.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 01:17 PM
  #50  
Ride_Fast
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Putting on and riding with SPD shoes is simple, so perhaps I don't understand the question. I love riding them no matter how short the distance.
For example, you're going somewhere with a friend, then someone looks down and says "bruh, what are those?" lol.
Ride_Fast is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.