Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Velo Orange Constructeur

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Velo Orange Constructeur

Old 01-27-18, 02:25 PM
  #1  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
Thread Starter
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Velo Orange Constructeur

Who's using a VO Constructeur rack? I'm looking for a medium sized front rack for my Steamroller, and this one came up as a possibility.

I want to attach a small basket or pouch to it for my dog to ride in. (He's small, under 10 pounds.)

The Steamroller fork doesn't have eyelets, but I think I could use "P" clamps around the fork legs to attach the rack.

Any advice or suggestions?
Broctoon is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 08:56 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,831

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon View Post
Who's using a VO Constructeur rack? I'm looking for a medium sized front rack for my Steamroller, and this one came up as a possibility.

I want to attach a small basket or pouch to it for my dog to ride in. (He's small, under 10 pounds.)

The Steamroller fork doesn't have eyelets, but I think I could use "P" clamps around the fork legs to attach the rack.

Any advice or suggestions?
You could probably get another fork like say one from a CrossCheck to mount it more properly. I have a M12 rack on my Cinelli and love it but since it is a canti equipped bike it mounts on those studs. I will say I do prefer rear mounting but the front mount is pretty neat and certainly if I could do a more custom built frame I would do something more like a rando geometry and fork so it would handle a touch better with a load.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 10:53 PM
  #3  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
Thread Starter
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
You could probably get another fork like say one from a CrossCheck to mount it more properly.
That's not a bad idea, if I can find a decent fork on the cheap. I don't want to spend a lot.

I think the Constructeur has a bracket at the top to attach at the fork crown, where the caliper brake goes. A rack that mounts to cantilever studs would be even more secure. I've looked at a few in the past, and DANG, some of them are pricey! (I keep going back to the cost, don't I?)

I don't want any big changes in geometry or handling, because I absolutely love this bike as it is. I understand it will feel different when loaded, even with just my pup's eight-ish pounds. For the 90% of my riding when he's not going along*, I'd like it to still feel like it does now.


* Teddy already goes with me, occasionally. But he has to ride in my sweatshirt, zipped up so only his face shows. He loves it, which makes me think a basket on the bike would be fun.
Broctoon is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 09:39 PM
  #4  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,831

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon View Post
That's not a bad idea, if I can find a decent fork on the cheap. I don't want to spend a lot.

I think the Constructeur has a bracket at the top to attach at the fork crown, where the caliper brake goes. A rack that mounts to cantilever studs would be even more secure. I've looked at a few in the past, and DANG, some of them are pricey! (I keep going back to the cost, don't I?)

I don't want any big changes in geometry or handling, because I absolutely love this bike as it is. I understand it will feel different when loaded, even with just my pup's eight-ish pounds. For the 90% of my riding when he's not going along*, I'd like it to still feel like it does now.


* Teddy already goes with me, occasionally. But he has to ride in my sweatshirt, zipped up so only his face shows. He loves it, which makes me think a basket on the bike would be fun.
Shouldn't be too hard depending on how cheap you are considering. The Nitto racks are expensive but of good quality and something that will certainly be designed well and designed to last a long time.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 01-29-18, 12:42 PM
  #5  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon View Post
That's not a bad idea, if I can find a decent fork on the cheap. I don't want to spend a lot.

I think the Constructeur has a bracket at the top to attach at the fork crown, where the caliper brake goes. A rack that mounts to cantilever studs would be even more secure. I've looked at a few in the past, and DANG, some of them are pricey! (I keep going back to the cost, don't I?)

I don't want any big changes in geometry or handling, because I absolutely love this bike as it is. I understand it will feel different when loaded, even with just my pup's eight-ish pounds. For the 90% of my riding when he's not going along*, I'd like it to still feel like it does now.


* Teddy already goes with me, occasionally. But he has to ride in my sweatshirt, zipped up so only his face shows. He loves it, which makes me think a basket on the bike would be fun.

After you decide, buy, install, and add carpeting, we will need a few photos of Theodore atop his new throne.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 01-29-18, 04:35 PM
  #6  
Euthyphro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

I don't know if this is too big for what you're looking for, but I *hate* using p-clamps to mount racks, so the axle mount is great for me.
Euthyphro is offline  
Old 01-29-18, 06:22 PM
  #7  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Euthyphro View Post
Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

I don't know if this is too big for what you're looking for, but I *hate* using p-clamps to mount racks, so the axle mount is great for me.

Off topic but I love how the marketing department put the word "gravel" in the name.

Kinda like a minivan with the word "Sport" in the name. Why not?


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 01-31-18, 01:04 PM
  #8  
Scottybigs 
Senior Member
 
Scottybigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 268

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Without braze-ons, I'm not sure how you'd mount the Constructeur rack (it mounts to a fork's M5 braze on at the fork end, same spot as a fender). You'd need something that could axle mount, because using braze on adapters (like the one's Axiom makes) would be a bit risky for heavier weights.

If I were starting over on my commuter, I'd get a Pelago Rasket: https://www.pelagobicycles.com/pelago-rasket.html

It does axle mounting or braze-on, has the basket integrated with the rack, and has pannier rails.
Scottybigs is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
unterhausen
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
7
05-22-19 06:23 AM
bktourer1
Bicycle Mechanics
7
11-24-12 08:23 AM
Nation
Touring
11
11-29-11 09:59 PM
Boyd Reynolds
Bicycle Mechanics
15
07-19-11 10:53 AM
Uosdwis R Dewoh
Bicycle Mechanics
10
02-24-11 11:30 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.