Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Argggg missed it again

Reply

Old 02-10-18, 11:01 AM
  #1  
REDMASTA
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
REDMASTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Traveling through time, will return last week.
Posts: 504

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Argggg missed it again

It's frustrating when you have your heart set on a certain part to finish a build yet you just can't seem to get a hold of it.

Been trying for a while to purchase the elusive 44rn 47t chainring. Not too long ago I get an email from Retrogression sayting they were back in stock, clicked the link but they were all gone... Then this morning I get an email from 44rn that they are back in stock but the 47t is already sold out! Guess I'm too slow to check my emails.

At this rate I'll never get one . Anyone else have a part they just can't seem to find?


Last edited by REDMASTA; 02-10-18 at 01:16 PM.
REDMASTA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 12:10 PM
  #2  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
NOS Dura-Ace square taper 170mm crank.

I can find them..... In the Land of the Rising Sun.... But $$$$$$$$
SquidPuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 12:31 PM
  #3  
UltraManDan
Senior Member
 
UltraManDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 409

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
NOS Dura-Ace square taper 170mm crank.

I can find them..... In the Land of the Rising Sun.... But $$$$$$$$
$190 with the BB - Better jump quick!

NIB/NOS Shimano Dura Ace FC-7410 Crank Arms & Bottom Bracket: 170mm - 103mm x 68mm - Bike Recyclery

Last edited by UltraManDan; 02-10-18 at 12:36 PM.
UltraManDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 01:58 PM
  #4  
REDMASTA
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
REDMASTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Traveling through time, will return last week.
Posts: 504

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Originally Posted by UltraManDan View Post
They are road cranks though.
REDMASTA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 03:29 PM
  #5  
UltraManDan
Senior Member
 
UltraManDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 409

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Originally Posted by REDMASTA View Post
They are road cranks though.
Ah.. I missed the 103mm. i was thinking the 68mm was the BB shell size. My bad.
UltraManDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 03:43 PM
  #6  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 20,115
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7078 Post(s)
Originally Posted by REDMASTA View Post
It's frustrating when you have your heart set on a certain part to finish a build yet you just can't seem to get a hold of it.

Been trying for a while to purchase the elusive 44rn 47t chainring. Not too long ago I get an email from Retrogression sayting they were back in stock, clicked the link but they were all gone... Then this morning I get an email from 44rn that they are back in stock but the 47t is already sold out! Guess I'm too slow to check my emails..
I'm surprised they won't backorder it. Pay now, and it may arrive sometime.

Which one are you getting? Camo? Red/White/Blue Camo? Heart pattern?
CliffordK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 04:24 PM
  #7  
REDMASTA
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
REDMASTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Traveling through time, will return last week.
Posts: 504

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'm surprised they won't backorder it. Pay now, and it may arrive sometime.

Which one are you getting? Camo? Red/White/Blue Camo? Heart pattern?
The 144# 47t in black. Guess they are made in very limited runs and sell out quick. The email was sent at 8:00 am and by the time I checked my email at 10:30 am it was sold out. Figure I'm bound to catch one eventually.
REDMASTA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 04:45 PM
  #8  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 20,115
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7078 Post(s)
I'm seeing quite a surprising number of 47T 144BCD Track rings for sale. Just not that one.

My guess is that with the growing CNC we'll see quite a few more things like that hit the market, especially if they can simply be cut from aluminum without complicated shift gates, synchronization, and pins.

Still, I'm surprised the company doesn't do pre-orders. A pain if they don't plan on making any more, but it could potentially make sales easier if they know that they've already sold 3/4 of their product, all they have to do is box it up and ship it out.
CliffordK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 10:36 PM
  #9  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,015

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5292 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
NOS Dura-Ace square taper 170mm crank.

I can find them..... In the Land of the Rising Sun.... But $$$$$$$$
I've never seen the square taper DA track cranks anywhere outside of the Japanese sites.

Have you looked at NJS-Export?


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 10:49 PM
  #10  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
I've never seen the square taper DA track cranks anywhere outside of the Japanese sites.
That's because they've been out of production for many moons.

Have you looked at NJS-Export?


-Tim-
They don't have new. A crank is one component I wont buy used.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:38 PM
  #11  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,086

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Originally Posted by REDMASTA View Post
It's frustrating when you have your heart set on a certain part to finish a build yet you just can't seem to get a hold of it.

Been trying for a while to purchase the elusive 44rn 47t chainring. Not too long ago I get an email from Retrogression sayting they were back in stock, clicked the link but they were all gone... Then this morning I get an email from 44rn that they are back in stock but the 47t is already sold out! Guess I'm too slow to check my emails.

At this rate I'll never get one . Anyone else have a part they just can't seem to find?

I googled "144bcd 47t chainring" and got a bunch of hits. Some decent names. Maybe you need the Retrogression ones. I go with what I can get. I have one that I think is an FSA. (I ride road and hills and like much smaller rings. That 47 was my first but when I got 42 and 43 I never looked back.)

Ben
79pmooney is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 02:22 AM
  #12  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 20,115
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7078 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
NOS Dura-Ace square taper 170mm crank.

I can find them..... In the Land of the Rising Sun.... But $$$$$$$$
It looks like a few are on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...r/302039980194

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-DUR...epid=697523700

Does it have to be square taper? Not Octalink?

You should also be able to find some good used ones for quite a bit less. But, if you want NOS, expect to pay NOS prices. Of course, one frequently sees some NOS chainrings or something that pop up as "dead stock", but I doubt the sellers are in any big rush to dump the NOS cranksets.
CliffordK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 02:39 AM
  #13  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
It looks like a few are on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...r/302039980194

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-DUR...epid=697523700

Does it have to be square taper? Not Octalink?

You should also be able to find some good used ones for quite a bit less. But, if you want NOS, expect to pay NOS prices. Of course, one frequently sees some NOS chainrings or something that pop up as "dead stock", but I doubt the sellers are in any big rush to dump the NOS cranksets.
Yeah, those ebay sellers are the Japanese outfits, or at least linked. My understanding is that they are excellent too.

No Octalink for me, too modern for what I want to build. One inch fork, quill, you get the picture.

And while I'd have no issue with a used stem, seat post, pedals, etc, a square taper concerns me. Probably just OCD, but not knowing how many times it's been off and on, and how it was torqued. And you can always see the problem unless it's really obvious. Too fussy for my own good.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 11:54 AM
  #14  
REDMASTA
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
REDMASTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Traveling through time, will return last week.
Posts: 504

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I googled "144bcd 47t chainring" and got a bunch of hits. Some decent names. Maybe you need the Retrogression ones. I go with what I can get. I have one that I think is an FSA. (I ride road and hills and like much smaller rings. That 47 was my first but when I got 42 and 43 I never looked back.)

Ben
Sure there are plenty of other 47t chainrings out there, I have a 47t Lattice on my Pake frame that I got from Retrogression, its nice enough just not the Aarn . Im running 47t/19t currently (17t on the other side) and really enjoying 65 for casual riding. I like 47t chainrings since you get skid spots for days no matter what cog you run.
REDMASTA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 04:08 PM
  #15  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 20,115
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7078 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
And while I'd have no issue with a used stem, seat post, pedals, etc, a square taper concerns me. Probably just OCD, but not knowing how many times it's been off and on, and how it was torqued. And you can always see the problem unless it's really obvious. Too fussy for my own good.
I suppose... I think the square taper cranksets are pretty indestructible, as long as all the threads are still good. And, you'll know if you got a bad one or not. If you check it out, you could potentially simply send rejects back.

One does read about crank failures periodically, but I think most of them are more modern cranks. Hollowtech?

I suppose it depends on your use. If you're taking the bike out on the track and pushing 2000W... best get the right cranks.
CliffordK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 11:43 PM
  #16  
Carcosa
Senior Member
 
Carcosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I suppose it depends on your use. If you're taking the bike out on the track and pushing 2000W... best get the right cranks.
No offense, but the squid seems more rubbery than that.
Carcosa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 12:51 PM
  #17  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Carcosa View Post
No offense, but the squid seems more rubbery than that.
None taken.

Are you as fast as Usain Bolt? I didn't think so.

I, however, am faster than Bolt.

Japanese researchers confirm squid can fly as fast as Usain Bolt | WIRED UK
SquidPuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 10:41 AM
  #18  
Carcosa
Senior Member
 
Carcosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
None taken.

Are you as fast as Usain Bolt? I didn't think so.
I ride a bike. So actually, yes.

But, squids are cool.
Carcosa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 12:26 PM
  #19  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Carcosa View Post
I ride a bike. So actually, yes.

But, squids are cool.
I guess my comparison was, what if Bolt was pedaling a bike?
SquidPuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 12:30 PM
  #20  
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory
 
prooftheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,239

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
That is an interesting question. If Bolt had trained as a track cyclist would he have been so dominating? Is there something about his physiology versus other people that gives him an advantage in running that he would not have on a bike?
prooftheory is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 09:42 PM
  #21  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 4,654

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
My issue is not having the money for the frames I want. They exist and the builders can easily build them but sadly I just don't have the money. I can find most of the parts I look for though again on some price is an issue but I rarely have ones I simply cannot find or get before they sell out.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 01:15 PM
  #22  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
That is an interesting question. If Bolt had trained as a track cyclist would he have been so dominating? Is there something about his physiology versus other people that gives him an advantage in running that he would not have on a bike?
It is interesting. I knew a guy that played tennis at a VERY high level. He couldn't hit a ping pong ball for shat.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 12:48 PM
  #23  
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,573

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Meanwhile somebody here has a NOS one in their parts bin
__________________
pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 01:57 PM
  #24  
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory
 
prooftheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,239

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Things in leuky's house (some of these are real):
One room full of korean running shoes.
One room full of original Big Muff overdrive pedals.
One room full of 70s digital watches.
One room of 19th century banjo tuners.
One room of every chain ring ever made.
One room of all the fake Basquiat's that have ever been accidentally bought by a major museum.
One room of 1980s nikon camera equipment.
prooftheory is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 11:45 PM
  #25  
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,573

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Originally Posted by prooftheory View Post
Things in leuky's house (some of these are real):
One room full of korean running shoes.
One room full of original Big Muff overdrive pedals.
One room full of 70s digital watches.
One room of 19th century banjo tuners.
One room of every chain ring ever made.
One room of all the fake Basquiat's that have ever been accidentally bought by a major museum.
One room of 1980s nikon camera equipment.
I'm floored by the dossier you have gradually put together on me from our time here.
__________________
pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service