Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

These Campy sprockets legit?

Reply

Old 12-30-18, 03:03 PM
  #1  
flx100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
These Campy sprockets legit?

Are these real campy sprockets?
I was under the impression they didn't make them anymore. Also the font/graphics engraved does not look OG.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...iMg:rk:12:pf:0
flx100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 01:05 AM
  #2  
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,639

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Yes, they are. Here is the supplier's catalog entry: https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...k-Cog-p999.htm
The price is displayed as $0.00 as you need a dealer account to view the pricing. Euro Asia Imports is one of the largest fixed gear part suppliers.
__________________
¿pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 01:09 AM
  #3  
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,639

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Forgot to mention, they are aluminum cogs though. Even though they are Campagnolo, I'll still avoid them, especially at that price!
They're no where near as durable as machined steel cogs. If you want to save weight on your bike, this is the worst bang for your buck!
__________________
¿pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 07:36 AM
  #4  
seamuis
aire díthrub
 
seamuis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: chatham
Posts: 364

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Cielo Sportif Classic, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Forgot to mention, they are aluminum cogs though. Even though they are Campagnolo, I'll still avoid them, especially at that price!
They're no where near as durable as machined steel cogs. If you want to save weight on your bike, this is the worst bang for your buck!
at that price, this is the worst bang for your buck, regardless of material. 100%, every person that buys one will do so, only because it’s a campagnolo sprocket. But you know, something about fools and their money. It does have a nice look to it, though. Very professional, like the much cheaper and race proven dura-ace sprockets.
seamuis is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 02:25 PM
  #5  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Let's keep in mind that there are more than a few aluminum cogs out in the world - including track, singlespeed, and multi-gear, as well as some other alloy track cogs from BFSSFG's beloved EuroAsia Imports than the Campy that started this discussion, that people worldwide have been riding without problems for who knows how many years.

I'm not claiming to be an expert re Campagnolo's track cogs (or anything else for that matter ), but when I first got my Cinelli frame I was all crazy to build it full-bore Eye-talian with only "right" parts. Of course that idea fell by the wayside pretty quick, but I did spend a lot of time researching this stuff, since at first I didn't want any "Asian crap" on my bike.

Yes, Campy definitely does not make track cogs anymore, but as in everything else Campagnolo it seems like there is an unending supply of NOS ones like you see in Leukybear's EAI link, or the OP's ebay link; and if one searches just a little there are many to be had for a lot less than that seller's price. And it is important to keep in mind that along the way, besides alloy track cogs - Campag has also produced lots of Alu cassettes too, so they do know how to work with it.

Record Superlight alloy track cogs were produced from as early as the 1960's to roughly the late 80's/early 90's. They were, of course, made for weight weenies who must have the lightest of light. Conventional wisdom now is, like the sentiments we've just seen posted here, that Campa's light alloy track cogs are to be avoided because they are too soft and will "melt away", while their (and others') machined steel ones are good to go. But to be candid...generally I don't accept conventional wisdom/groupthink unquestioningly - do you?

Happy New Year everybody...
IAmSam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 02:45 PM
  #6  
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,639

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
Yes, Campy definitely does not make track cogs anymore, but as in everything else Campagnolo it seems like there is an unending supply of NOS ones like you see in Leukybear's EAI link, or the OP's ebay link; and if one searches just a little there are many to be had for a lot less than that seller's price. And it is important to keep in mind that along the way, besides alloy track cogs - Campag has also produced lots of Alu cassettes too, so they do know how to work with it.
Indeed! Which leads to the mystique and "tax" on their componentry.
Campy was one of the pioneers of aluminum back then. Collaborating with NASA before and there's Lamborghini wheels engineered and produced by them back when aluminum was not widely used in mainstream production as a primary material.

Due to the nature of aluminum, I still feel its metallic properties do not make it the ideal material to withstand the stresses created by a track drivetrain. Not really up to the task of withstanding back-pressure created by inertia created of the wheels long term; which on a road bike are entirely eliminated by a freewheel mechanism.
__________________
¿pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 04:24 PM
  #7  
flx100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
Let's keep in mind that there are more than a few aluminum cogs out in the world - including track, singlespeed, and multi-gear, as well as some other alloy track cogs from BFSSFG's beloved EuroAsia Imports than the Campy that started this discussion, that people worldwide have been riding without problems for who knows how many years.

I'm not claiming to be an expert re Campagnolo's track cogs (or anything else for that matter ), but when I first got my Cinelli frame I was all crazy to build it full-bore Eye-talian with only "right" parts. Of course that idea fell by the wayside pretty quick, but I did spend a lot of time researching this stuff, since at first I didn't want any "Asian crap" on my bike.

Yes, Campy definitely does not make track cogs anymore, but as in everything else Campagnolo it seems like there is an unending supply of NOS ones like you see in Leukybear's EAI link, or the OP's ebay link; and if one searches just a little there are many to be had for a lot less than that seller's price. And it is important to keep in mind that along the way, besides alloy track cogs - Campag has also produced lots of Alu cassettes too, so they do know how to work with it.

Record Superlight alloy track cogs were produced from as early as the 1960's to roughly the late 80's/early 90's. They were, of course, made for weight weenies who must have the lightest of light. Conventional wisdom now is, like the sentiments we've just seen posted here, that Campa's light alloy track cogs are to be avoided because they are too soft and will "melt away", while their (and others') machined steel ones are good to go. But to be candid...generally I don't accept conventional wisdom/groupthink unquestioningly - do you?

Happy New Year everybody...
Happy New Year!
so you say Campagnolo definitely does NOT make track cogs anymore, while the first reply says yes they are legit... which is it?
I personally have a suspicion EAI is making them. I have some of their cogs and they’re great. Could they be producing campy branded cogs?
I also was trying to build an all Italian bike...
flx100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 07:16 PM
  #8  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 19,859

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Originally Posted by flx100 View Post
I personally have a suspicion EAI is making them. I have some of their cogs and they’re great. Could they be producing campy branded cogs?
That was my thought as well; the markings on them closely resemble those on EAI's house brand cogs.

If they are making Campagnolo-branded cogs, I suspect it must be under license, as EAI is too established and reputable a distributor to try to hijack someone else's brand.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 09:53 PM
  #9  
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,639

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Originally Posted by flx100 View Post


Happy New Year!
so you say Campagnolo definitely does NOT make track cogs anymore, while the first reply says yes they are legit... which is it?
I personally have a suspicion EAI is making them. I have some of their cogs and they’re great. Could they be producing campy branded cogs?
I also was trying to build an all Italian bike...
There's warehouses full of new-old-stock Campagnolo that's unsold.
Per a member here who is one of EAI's largest dealer accounts and took a tour of their warehouse, Euro Asia Imports actually has one of the largest stocks of new-old-stock Campagnolo for the high rollers that wish to kick it Campy like it's 1970-present.

To put it in prospective it's like buying a 1986 vintage wine in 2019.
__________________
¿pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 03:13 AM
  #10  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
I would never EVER pay that much for a cog... especially one that is made of a soft material? why is this even a thing? Send me a $2 cog and I’ll engrave whatever the eff u want on it to make ur pants tight.
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 08:00 AM
  #11  
seamuis
aire díthrub
 
seamuis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: chatham
Posts: 364

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Cielo Sportif Classic, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Lol to the long winded defences of these sprockets, just because they’re campagnolo. Exactly what I expected. I’m not hating on campagnolo. I’m sure they’re well made and it makes no difference personally what anyone buys, but if you bought one, you’d still be paying over 200 chips for a sprocket that isn’t going to be as good long term as even the cheapest of steel sprockets. That of course, means you’d be buying it for exactly the reason i said: simply because it says campagnolo.
seamuis is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 02:53 PM
  #12  
flx100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Originally Posted by seamuis View Post
Lol to the long winded defences of these sprockets, just because they’re campagnolo. Exactly what I expected. I’m not hating on campagnolo. I’m sure they’re well made and it makes no difference personally what anyone buys, but if you bought one, you’d still be paying over 200 chips for a sprocket that isn’t going to be as good long term as even the cheapest of steel sprockets. That of course, means you’d be buying it for exactly the reason i said: simply because it says campagnolo.
There are bicyclists who are in it just for biking, the fun, the exercise, and then there are bicyclists who are in it for the collector hobby, the aesthetics of, say, vintage Italian steel bikes etc. I respect both.
So when people are paying insane amounts of money for NOS campy parts, i get it. The argument about what's best value is irrelevant

Anyways, these sprockets are neither vintage campy nor good value it seems!
flx100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 05:27 AM
  #13  
seamuis
aire díthrub
 
seamuis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: chatham
Posts: 364

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Cielo Sportif Classic, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Originally Posted by flx100 View Post
There are bicyclists who are in it just for biking, the fun, the exercise, and then there are bicyclists who are in it for the collector hobby, the aesthetics of, say, vintage Italian steel bikes etc. I respect both.
So when people are paying insane amounts of money for NOS campy parts, i get it. The argument about what's best value is irrelevant

Anyways, these sprockets are neither vintage campy nor good value it seems!
problem with this right here, is “it.” One of these is actually cycling, the other is collecting. The two aren’t the same, but you’re conflating, to defend something that isnt being a “bicyclist”. However, regardless of what your intentions are, it doesn’t refute my argument, so I’ll say it a third time: if you buy a $200 aluminium campagnolo sprocket, you did so only because it said campagnolo. Period. If you do that and then actually ride on it, you’ve wasted $200. If you’re a collector with that kind of money to burn, then great. Either road anyone chooses is indeed as irrelevant as cost/value opinion. But collecting isn’t cycling. So buying a useless overpriced sprocket isn’t about cycling, because it’s only priced that way precisely because it’s campagnolo.

None of this matters though, because an aluminium fixed sprocket is useless junk, regardless of price or engraved name. That’s the point of my position. No amount of conflation or long winded defence of something that isn’t cycling, changes that fact. Cheers, mate.
seamuis is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:43 AM
  #14  
flx100
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Fair enough!
I'm not touching those sprockets. But if i happen to come across a vintage STEEL campy 16 tooth sprocket with BSC threading for $150 i might jump on it!
flx100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 11:12 AM
  #15  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
EAI is awesome. However I would just buy their cogs rather than Campy aluminum stuff. Though I love pouring through their catalog, so much cool stuff some of which they don't have anymore but a surprising amount of stuff they still have that is so tough to find NOS, I bought an old 80s Tange BB tool from them and it is brand new in package with some slight yellowing only because they have had it for 30 years. Granted yes it is not cheap but considering they still have a lot of this stuff is neat.

I haven't ridden my EAI Gold Medal Cog yet only because I don't have the wheels built up but it looks really really nice and feels like a quality part that will last a long long time. As much as I love vintage campy, EAI wins in this instance handily especially since they are all MUSA which is cool.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service