Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Who else biked to work today?

Reply

Old 01-31-19, 10:23 AM
  #1  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Who else biked to work today?


I did. (And as you fellas can tell, I'm pretty stoked on myself and I'd like some recognition.)

8 miles, headwind, -13įF. Can anybody beat it?

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 01-31-19 at 10:27 AM.
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 10:31 AM
  #2  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots View Post
I did. (And as you fellas can tell, I'm pretty stoked on myself and I'd like some recognition.)
Whaaat? You're in Chicago!? People may be idiots, but you're insane. Also, so much for my excuse to not ride, what with our tropical +28F temp.

Nice job!
Broctoon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 10:42 AM
  #3  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,826

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Can't beat that. About to leave now. Also 8 miles, tailwind, balmy 53 F
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 10:59 AM
  #4  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,911

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5738 Post(s)
I walked to work in my pajamas this morning.

I stopped at the kitchen for coffee and a bagel on the way.



-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 11:01 AM
  #5  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Broctoon View Post
Whaaat? You're in Chicago!? People may be idiots, but you're insane. Also, so much for my excuse to not ride, what with our tropical +28F temp.

Nice job!
Not so sure I made the right call but thanks

I might take the train home if it doesn't warm up a bit by 6PM but at least I can say I did it right hahaha.

At 28į you should get out there! Its fun! -13 not so much.

happy riding my friend.

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 01-31-19 at 12:24 PM.
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 11:34 AM
  #6  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
3 miles to my shop at 62 degrees! Life is hard
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 12:16 PM
  #7  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
balmy 53 F

Originally Posted by mouse View Post
62 degrees! Life is hard


Im getting jealous at the 50 and 60 degree temps in january. I bet summer is tough though where you guys are!

Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
I walked to work in my pajamas this morning.

I stopped at the kitchen for coffee and a bagel on the way.



-Tim-
hardcore

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 01-31-19 at 12:23 PM.
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 12:37 PM
  #8  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,826

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Summer in Tucson is tough, San Diego not so much, That coastal Mediterranean climate
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 12:55 PM
  #9  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Summer in Tucson is tough, San Diego not so much, That coastal Mediterranean climate
Tucson summers are indeed harsh if you have to be out and about mid day
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 01:04 PM
  #10  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Summer in Tucson is tough
I hear that. My parents have a timeshare in Gold Canyon and they don't even bother between may and september. Im ok with cold but at a certain point you can't really dress for hot. I even struggle with the midwestern summers here!
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 07:00 PM
  #11  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)



It got up to 0į so no train home for me.

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 01-31-19 at 07:35 PM.
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 07:39 PM
  #12  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 6,909

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
28 when I headed out for my ride. Wife threatened to burn all my shorts if I rode today that way. Pants and I was on my way. Not bad at all with sunshine and light wind. Coastal NC living is not harsh, my hats off to all that brave the elements. BTW, have to ride, no car, no license.
3speedslow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 11:40 PM
  #13  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots View Post


It got up to 0į so no train home for me.
Youíre a madman! Riding in snow gets old rather quickly, but thereís a certain element of fun and gratification to it as well. I remember one winter while attending college at Northern Arizona University I was riding to my exís house and got caught in a blizzard about halfway there. I had to obviously get off the bike. It was so cold and windy it became hard to breathe. I trudged the rest of the way walking backwards into the wind with my bike just to keep breathing properly. When I finally got to her place she had a hot toddy waiting for me, and I donít think Iíve ever tasted anything better to this day! We got close to 130 inches of snow that season... more than Iíd ever seen living in Washington and more than anywhere else in the nation that year. Arizona is a wild, crazy, stunningly beautiful, and highly diverse state.

Your bike looks rad, and well equipped. Really dig the disk brake... Iím one of those idiots who doesnít run with brakes, but I would run a disk brake set up if it ever fell in my lap. Iíd love to see pics of it under more controlled circumstance! Is that a wound up fork??

Last edited by mouse; 02-01-19 at 12:03 AM.
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 01:49 AM
  #14  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Youíre a madman! Riding in snow gets old rather quickly, but thereís a certain element of fun and gratification to it as well. I remember one winter while attending college at Northern Arizona University I was riding to my exís house and got caught in a blizzard about halfway there. I had to obviously get off the bike. It was so cold and windy it became hard to breathe. I trudged the rest of the way walking backwards into the wind with my bike just to keep breathing properly. When I finally got to her place she had a hot toddy waiting for me, and I donít think Iíve ever tasted anything better to this day! We got close to 130 inches of snow that season... more than Iíd ever seen living in Washington and more than anywhere else in the nation that year. Arizona is a wild, crazy, stunningly beautiful, and highly diverse state.

Your bike looks rad, and well equipped. Really dig the disk brake... Iím one of those idiots who doesnít run with brakes, but I would run a disk brake set up if it ever fell in my lap. Iíd love to see pics of it under more controlled circumstance! Is that a wound up fork??
I've been to AZ quite a few times and as far as natural beauty goes, its certainly hard to top, I agree. Never had a bike there though... someday.

I know I'm probably in the tiny minority with this but I actually enjoy riding in crappy weather the most. I guess to me it feels like more of an accomplishment/adventure whereas riding on a nice day can feel a bit routine. When I used to live in Pittsburgh, I remember a few snowstorms where I would end up literally sliding down the unplowed hills without a single pedal stroke on my way home from work (not on purpose). That's partially why I specced my bike to be a bit safer but also still super fun the rain and snow (hence the disc brake, all weather c15, and all the gaudy reflective tape etc.)

Obviously its pretty heavily modified by now but the frame is actually still my first fixed gear, an entry level fuji track I got a couple of years ago. The fork, disc brake and wheels are new as of this winter. And yep, its a wound up fork! It was a bit if an impractical treat to myself admittedly but its basically my favorite aspect of the bike now. So much so that I think it will soon be time to finally retire my good old fuji frame in favor of something that can match the fork a bit better! I'm thinking wabi special or something of the like. Well see. I'm not in a hurry or anything.

Anyway, Thanks for the compliment man!

Happy riding!
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 06:04 AM
  #15  
bmwjoe
Senior Member
 
bmwjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Telford, PA
Posts: 279

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I rode all week. Tuesday night was the worst with 20-40 mph winds. Yesterday it was 2įF on the ride in, but no wind. Today it is 5įF on the way in.


The roads were just as icy


One of my coworkers repurposed this picture from CNN and circulated it around the office.



I would ride my fixed gear in, but they don't make the Spiker tires in 700x23c.
bmwjoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 05:23 PM
  #16  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 5,015

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
I see no reason to ride in negative temps or even anything below freezing especially in bad weather. I don't need to prove anything to anyone for any reason. I am not saying let's all be just fair weather cyclists but outright sadism just ain't for me.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 07:53 PM
  #17  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,481
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
I rode to work at roughly -12 F in Madison on Tuesday, and under similar conditions the previous week. My workplace said "work from home if possible" on Wednesday and Thursday, and a minor family emergency prevented me from going in anyway. I think my coldest ride ever was around -20 F, a few years ago.

I don't need to prove anything either, but I'll comment a bit on the motivation. We all have our hobbies. I'm not a super athletic rider, so getting KOM or even finishing a race are out of my reach. I have to choose some other way to make it a bit of a sport. So I've chosen year-round commuting as my cycling "discipline." Some people collect stamps, and go to unnecessary lengths to get a particular stamp. I ride my bike in bad weather.

Note that I'm not really suffering or taking unnecessary risks. My bike is set up for this, with studded tires and trusted reliable components. I'm completely bundled up. Below zero, I wear a ski helmet, ski goggles, face mask, ski jacket, snow pants, heavy mittens, and boots. Hand and foot warmers, depending. My rule is that I have to be dressed well enough to survive walking if the bike breaks down. I'm quite warm, and remember, people have figured out how to dress for working outdoors all day in places like Alaska and even Antarctica.

Then there's the feeling when I succeed, like going on a "mission" in a droll way.
Gresp15C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:36 PM
  #18  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Hey, some other kooks like me! Kudos fellas.

Originally Posted by bmwjoe View Post
I would ride my fixed gear in, but they don't make the Spiker tires in 700x23c.
I was able to squeeze 30c studded tires on a track frame. You should check them out if you wanna try taking the fixed gear out in the snow (45NRTH Xerxes). Riding fixed on snow and ice is actually nice because you can really feel how much traction you have at all times. Looks like the bike you posted has things pretty well handled though

Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
So I've chosen year-round commuting as my cycling "discipline." Some people collect stamps, and go to unnecessary lengths to get a particular stamp. I ride my bike in bad weather.

Note that I'm not really suffering or taking unnecessary risks.

Then there's the feeling when I succeed, like going on a "mission" in a droll way.
I feel exactly the same way. I'm not very social or competitive so I usually don't go out for races or group rides or anything so resisting the urge to be lazy and take the train to work or to the store is kinda the way I compete with myself.

I did post this thread though so I guess I do need validation of some sort
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 10:58 PM
  #19  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
This morning while I was eating my morning clif bar and coffee and watching cartoons, my rear tube decided to randomly hiss and deflate. So aside from having to walk my bike 10 blocks to my homies shop to pick up new tubes my ride to work was a pleasant 72 degrees today. I wasnít even bummed A: because I got to chill with the only other track bike junkie I know, and B: I stopped and got tacos to eat once I got to the shop. Tucson tacos canít be beat. Unless of course I make them myself out of deer meat. Mmmmmm. Ride home was awesome... 60 degrees and southside traffic is minimal after 9pm. Since Iíve been riding daily to work since the new year I can feel myself getting quicker and more limber every day!
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 11:07 PM
  #20  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
This morning while I was eating my morning clif bar and coffee and watching cartoons, my rear tube decided to randomly hiss and deflate. So aside from having to walk my bike 10 blocks to my homies shop to pick up new tubes my ride to work was a pleasant 72 degrees today. I wasnít even bummed A: because I got to chill with the only other track bike junkie I know, and B: I stopped and got tacos to eat once I got to the shop. Tucson tacos canít be beat. Unless of course I make them myself out of deer meat. Mmmmmm. Ride home was awesome... 60 degrees and southside traffic is minimal after 9pm. Since Iíve been riding daily to work since the new year I can feel myself getting quicker and more limber every day!
Sounds like a pretty kick ass day. Winter in Tuscon sounds nice!

Keep it up man!
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 12:10 PM
  #21  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
I don't need to prove anything either, but I'll comment a bit on the motivation. We all have our hobbies. I'm not a super athletic rider, so getting KOM or even finishing a race are out of my reach. I have to choose some other way to make it a bit of a sport. So I've chosen year-round commuting as my cycling "discipline." Some people collect stamps, and go to unnecessary lengths to get a particular stamp. I ride my bike in bad weather.
I can identify.

Last year, I made a goal to ride a bike every day, except Sundays. Itís not a really ambitious goal athletically, as I allowed myself to count even a 2 or 3 mile ride some days. Itís just something I wanted to do for my own satisfaction.

I never missed one, even on the coldest days, when I was sick, or when I was traveling. I didnít even let my broken wrist excuse me from the commitment, and that turned out to be a two month ordeal, including several weeks in a big cast.

This year I have other biking objectives, but Iím glad I proved I can do that.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who commutes by bike exclusively, or who relies on bikes for 80% or more of their transportation needs.
Broctoon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 12:01 PM
  #22  
Fahrenheit531 
Nevermind. Wait, what?
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,245

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount ('71) and Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
3 miles to my shop at 62 degrees! Life is hard
Right?
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 11:07 PM
  #23  
ryan_rides
Senior Member
 
ryan_rides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 102

Bikes: Aventon Cordoba 2018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I commute almost 9 miles to and from work 5 days a week. South Florida. Brakeless/Fixed. 48/15.
ryan_rides is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 11:45 PM
  #24  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 View Post
Right?
Tucson gets such a bad name for being blistering hot... but it only lasts ~3 months where it sucks, And thatís really only mid day. Those phx folks have it much worse. Rest of the year is amazing! I compare it living in the PNW... but the opposite. Itís not bad at all! Do you ever participate in the downtown Tuesday night ride? Itís been a long time, but Iíve been tossing around the idea of closing shop early and riding with everyone again at a leisurely pace.


Originally Posted by ryan_rides View Post
I commute almost 9 miles to and from work 5 days a week. South Florida. Brakeless/Fixed. 48/15.
Damn dude... thatís a hefty ratio for sure. Youíd smoke my ass
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 07:49 AM
  #25  
PeopleAreIdiots
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ryan_rides View Post
I commute almost 9 miles to and from work 5 days a week. South Florida. Brakeless/Fixed. 48/15.
Nice

Hopefully your work pants still fit over your massive quads
PeopleAreIdiots is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service