Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Old 02-16-20, 12:22 AM
  #1  
zsir
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Has anyone bought one from bikes direct yet? Really curious how much it weighs and how the rear caliper mounts.

fantom disc
zsir is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 02:14 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,819

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 993 Posts
No but they look like either IS or Post mount calipers. It probably weighs quite a bit and is certainly full of cheap parts. The price they list is a fake price they made up to make it feel like you are getting some sort of great deal. Also good to keep in mind if you are expecting this to be a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 06:28 PM
  #3  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 7,397

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 496 Posts
Looks like a decent bike and deal to me. You're not gonna find anything better (new) at that price. If I were looking for that type of bike I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get it. Go for it and give us a review!
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 07:53 PM
  #4  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,821
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 443 Posts
veganbikes being a current bike shop guy, his campaign against Bikes Direct is understandable. That said, I worked in bike shops for 15 years (including a shop where I sold Motobecanes in the 1970s), and I miss bike employee discount pricing, so I've bought two $1,000+ Bikes Direct Motobecanes. Both are great bikes. Buying from Bikes Direct is as close as you can get to buying at bike store employee pricing.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 09:00 PM
  #5  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,936

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 168 Posts
I'll put the over-under at 25 pounds. My money is on over.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 09:30 PM
  #6  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,819

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
veganbikes being a current bike shop guy, his campaign against Bikes Direct is understandable. That said, I worked in bike shops for 15 years (including a shop where I sold Motobecanes in the 1970s), and I miss bike employee discount pricing, so I've bought two $1,000+ Bikes Direct Motobecanes. Both are great bikes. Buying from Bikes Direct is as close as you can get to buying at bike store employee pricing.
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 05:00 AM
  #7  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,034
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2309 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 272 Posts
It has a butted chromoly frame AND fork, so for $399 it's not a bad deal. Obviously it's not going to be light but most of the pigness will be in the cheap wheels. Some of those BD models are the exact same bike as one from a major brand, just rebranded. The Windsor Tourist is a rebranded older model Fuji Touring. Take that Fantom Cross at that price and call it a Fuji then everyone would say what a great deal it is.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 AM
  #8  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 199 Posts
It would be good to find someone that has actually purchased one to speak authoritatively about it. Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion but nothing substitutes for having one and riding it.
Having said that, I tend to agree with Veganbikes and would recommend shying away from online dealers if you can. I am not singling anyone out. Buying local keeps the shops open, employs local people and gives you a place to go for support.
You cannot underestimate the value in that. Some things are worth paying a little more for.
I also agree that inflated MSRPs and "sales" tend to get old. How about just listing the bike and the price and letting the consumer decide if it is a deal or not?

There are some that don't have a local shop they can depend on, or don't see a value in supporting one. I guess in that case, let the buyer beware. Do your research and roll the dice.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 02:16 PM
  #9  
zsir
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion

.Do your research and roll the dice.

What is your opinion of the 4130 chrmo frames? I bought the Dawes SS bike with chromo frame/fork from BD for $209...The bike weighs 24lbs takes a 32C tire. Once I dialed it in, it rolls real nice, turns easy and rides lighter than it's 24 pounds. I'm considering the Fantom beacuse it's chromo, SS, disc brake and takes a wide tire....I'm guessing it has a 120mm rear drop out, I'd like to see how the caliper mounts. I'm down with supporting local bike shops. I can only imagine what a though business model that must be, but truth be told I work on my own bikes and I'm not to concerned with warranties on one of these low end bikes especially the parts on it.
zsir is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 02:25 PM
  #10  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by zsir View Post
What is your opinion of the 4130 chrmo frames? I bought the Dawes SS bike with chromo frame/fork from BD for $209...The bike weighs 24lbs takes a 32C tire. Once I dialed it in, it rolls real nice, turns easy and rides lighter than it's 24 pounds. I'm considering the Fantom beacuse it's chromo, SS, disc brake and takes a wide tire....I'm guessing it has a 120mm rear drop out, I'd like to see how the caliper mounts. I'm down with supporting local bike shops. I can only imagine what a though business model that must be, but truth be told I work on my own bikes and I'm not to concerned with warranties on one of these low end bikes especially the parts on it.
I have to be honest and say that for the price, it is probably a very good deal. The frame says it is custom butted and tapered. So we know it is not straight-gauge tubing and is likely reasonably light. I don't know where else you could possibly get a bike that meets all of the criteria, disc brakes, wide tires, etc. for that money. And if you don't need the support of a local bike dealer, I wouldn't blame you for taking the plunge. If I were in the market, that one would be getting serious attention. If you do buy it, make sure to report back please.

Regarding the wheel spacing, it is anybody's guess. You could reach out to them and ask.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 11:22 AM
  #11  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,936

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
This is all important for consumers to know and BD is very nontransparent about it. When it comes to lower priced mail-order stuff, it seems like Planet X is starting to solidify as a good option, depending on shipping cost out of the UK. They don't really hit the steel or cheap single speed bracket, but they seem to have some really decent stuff. Company is now employee owned as well apparently.
seau grateau is offline  
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 02-19-20, 02:32 PM
  #12  
onyerleft
Senior Member
 
onyerleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,055

Bikes: Pedaling for the Lord!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 184 Times in 131 Posts
I've had good luck with about eight BD/BikeIsland purchases, and I love my KiloTT, so I'm anything but a BD hater. But this Fantom Cross Uno is just so wrong in so many ways. I'm not going to go into detail - either you immediately get it, or you don't.
onyerleft is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 02:41 PM
  #13  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 7,397

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft View Post
But this Fantom Cross Uno is just so wrong in so many ways. I'm not going to go into detail - either you immediately get it, or you don't.
It sounds to me like you got nothin'.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-19-20, 10:08 PM
  #14  
phobus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
If the Kilo TT is a Steamroller copy, this is just a Nature Boy copy but with fork zits to make it an easy target for bicyclepubes.
phobus is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 04:00 PM
  #15  
onyerleft
Senior Member
 
onyerleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,055

Bikes: Pedaling for the Lord!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 184 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
It sounds to me like you got nothin'.
It sounds to me like you're projecting.
onyerleft is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 04:01 PM
  #16  
onyerleft
Senior Member
 
onyerleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,055

Bikes: Pedaling for the Lord!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 184 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus View Post
If the Kilo TT is a Steamroller copy, this is just a Nature Boy copy but with fork zits to make it an easy target for bicyclepubes.
LOL, zits is right. I wish my KiloTT didn't have seat stay braze-ons, so friggin' ugly.
onyerleft is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 09:39 AM
  #17  
cykelk
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: PNW
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked one of these up to replace a stolen commuter (hard to find replacement bikes right now), so figured I'd answer a few of the questions for future shoppers. Feel free to add more Qs if you have them.

Sizing: I'm 6' 33" inseam and bought the 58cm bike. The TT / reach feels good, stand-over is fine but I wouldn't want any shorter an inseam. I probably would have been good on a 56cm bike as well.
Weight: ~27.5 lbs (with the cheapo pedals provided)
Brakes: 51mm IS mount

Front rotor was severely warped when the bike arrived, but the only pain when "building" it was getting the brakes to run cleanly. Haven't had a chance to do a real test yet but will post back when I do.
cykelk is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 10:32 AM
  #18  
MntnMan62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 123

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
No but they look like either IS or Post mount calipers. It probably weighs quite a bit and is certainly full of cheap parts. The price they list is a fake price they made up to make it feel like you are getting some sort of great deal. Also good to keep in mind if you are expecting this to be a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
I haven't bought this particular bike but I bought a road bike from Bikesdirect. They are real bikes. They list the components included on each bike and they aren't fke components. Yes, Motobecane no longer exists as a French bike company. Bikesdirect bought the name. The bikes are made in Taiwan in the same factory that many if not most bikes are made. I bought a Motobecane Sprintour road bike with full Ultegra drivetrain, breaks and shifters. The components alone were worth the price I paid for the bike. If you are a label ***** then don't buy from them. If you know what you want in terms of size, geometry and component mix, then you can find what you want as they seem to have lots of different options.

I love how people who have no idea what they are talking about make statements that only make them look like imbeciles. The prices are real. I know, I bought one about 20 years ago and I'm still riding it.
MntnMan62 is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 12:10 PM
  #19  
Philasteve
Senior Member
 
Philasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,450

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
I haven't bought this particular bike but I bought a road bike from Bikesdirect. They are real bikes. They list the components included on each bike and they aren't fke components. Yes, Motobecane no longer exists as a French bike company. Bikesdirect bought the name. The bikes are made in Taiwan in the same factory that many if not most bikes are made. I bought a Motobecane Sprintour road bike with full Ultegra drivetrain, breaks and shifters. The components alone were worth the price I paid for the bike. If you are a label ***** then don't buy from them. If you know what you want in terms of size, geometry and component mix, then you can find what you want as they seem to have lots of different options.

I love how people who have no idea what they are talking about make statements that only make them look like imbeciles. The prices are real. I know, I bought one about 20 years ago and I'm still riding it.
When he say's the prices are fake I think he's referring to this. The sale price is just the normal price, and the list price is just made up it's not listed for that price anywhere.
"2021 Motobecane
Fantom Cross UNO PRO

SALE $399.95 (List $995)"

Last edited by Philasteve; 09-28-20 at 12:14 PM.
Philasteve is offline  
Likes For Philasteve:
Old 09-28-20, 06:49 PM
  #20  
cykelk
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: PNW
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PSA: don't even do a shakedown ride on the pedals provided. I got a full two blocks before one splintered into my shin...it cracked at the spindle.
cykelk is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 07:43 PM
  #21  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,819

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
I haven't bought this particular bike but I bought a road bike from Bikesdirect. They are real bikes. They list the components included on each bike and they aren't fke components. Yes, Motobecane no longer exists as a French bike company. Bikesdirect bought the name. The bikes are made in Taiwan in the same factory that many if not most bikes are made. I bought a Motobecane Sprintour road bike with full Ultegra drivetrain, breaks and shifters. The components alone were worth the price I paid for the bike. If you are a label ***** then don't buy from them. If you know what you want in terms of size, geometry and component mix, then you can find what you want as they seem to have lots of different options.

I love how people who have no idea what they are talking about make statements that only make them look like imbeciles. The prices are real. I know, I bought one about 20 years ago and I'm still riding it.
I didn't say the components are fake or the bikes are fake but the name is a bunch of B.S. designed to give their bikes fake prestige. The bikes are not at all the same as the other bikes being made in Taiwan. Making it in the same place doesn't mean the same quality at all. It is not like BikesDirect is paying anyone to do a bunch of real R&D and testing and all the stuff that say Specialized or Kona or Trek or whoever does.

Philasteve got it correct their prices are a big joke. No sales no nothing just a bunch of B.S. You aren't going to sell a bike saying generic open mold frame at bargain bin prices but Motobecane on SALE it is more attractive.

The components being hung on them may be good components that is fine but just be honest about it. Honesty is always the best policy.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 09:18 PM
  #22  
Russ Roth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 1,765

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
I've seen plenty of old Motobecanes and plenty of these new ones and from my experience bikesdirect as done a fine job of keeping the quality of the brand as poor as it ever was; new or old I've never seen one that inspired me to want to run out and buy one but if I couldn't afford better they're not a bad bike, they're just a motobecane.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 10:56 PM
  #23  
MntnMan62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 123

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Philasteve View Post
When he say's the prices are fake I think he's referring to this. The sale price is just the normal price, and the list price is just made up it's not listed for that price anywhere.
"2021 Motobecane
Fantom Cross UNO PRO

SALE $399.95 (List $995)"
Ok. I understand what he's saying now. I never really pay any attention to list prices anyway for anything. If I've done my research I know what all the sale prices everyone else is selling the same product for which makes any list prices completely meaningless anyway.
MntnMan62 is offline  
Old 09-28-20, 11:03 PM
  #24  
MntnMan62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 123

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I didn't say the components are fake or the bikes are fake but the name is a bunch of B.S. designed to give their bikes fake prestige. The bikes are not at all the same as the other bikes being made in Taiwan. Making it in the same place doesn't mean the same quality at all. It is not like BikesDirect is paying anyone to do a bunch of real R&D and testing and all the stuff that say Specialized or Kona or Trek or whoever does.

Philasteve got it correct their prices are a big joke. No sales no nothing just a bunch of B.S. You aren't going to sell a bike saying generic open mold frame at bargain bin prices but Motobecane on SALE it is more attractive.

The components being hung on them may be good components that is fine but just be honest about it. Honesty is always the best policy.
Say what you will. I knew I wasn't buying a Motobecane when I bought it. I wanted a utilitarian road bike that I could have fun riding and get myself into some sort of shape. And that bike has lasted me over 15 years. And it still rides like it was brand new. I also know that while the frame may not have the R&D behind it like the other "big names" but they are well built and with a complete Ultegra kit on it, I paid significantly less than a similarly equipped "big name" brand. Since I'm not racing or on some team and I'm no road snob or brand wh***, this bike is pretty darn excellent.
MntnMan62 is offline  
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-29-20, 08:06 AM
  #25  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
...Planet X is starting to solidify as a good option, depending on shipping cost out of the UK. They don't really hit the steel or cheap single speed bracket, but they seem to have some really decent stuff. Company is now employee owned as well apparently.

It is indeed sad that Planet X is no longer pursuing this market. Outside of a few city-ish bikes, they obviously have decided to go modern. And let us not forget One On & their Il Pompino & other Pompino-ish bikes. Not to mention that not all that long ago Planet X/On One was actually getting into it pretty strongly via some old brand names they bought but handled in a different manner than Bikesdirect does theirs. I have a "Holdsworth Laquelda" bike I built from a frame I got from them that they were selling sooo cheap and it nobly serves its purpose for me. Maybe modern production neo-retro-kinda vintage is not so big anymore?
IAmSam is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.