Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddle customization.

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Brooks Saddle customization.

Old 04-27-20, 06:32 AM
  #1  
somepetalhead
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: MIA 305
Posts: 58

Bikes: BIANCHI SAN JOSE.55.WABI CLASSIC.55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Brooks Saddle customization.

Ok so there it is.

I want to customize my brooks saddle. (IMO its the most comfortable and worthy of my $150 or what ever they cost these days)

I am trying to complete a murdered out build for boozer cruiser or just a grimey ass tank of a bike. I have my sunday bike so no need to make this one pretty.

I am hating the silver or copper rivets on the Brooks leather saddles. OCD i guess or just annoyed I cant even pay for the hassle to be done out the box... but i have time on my hands this quarantine..

Has anybody done this? or customized the set up at least. im sure their has to be other people out here that feel the same (all of the C17-19 have black rivets)

fotos or options on this would be lovely. thanks

just trying to get the bike game in check before the gates of hell are opened back up.

cheers
somepetalhead is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 07:02 AM
  #2  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
It would help us to know exactly what model you have. I read the post several times and you don't make it clear unless I missed something. People have customized leather saddles over the years. Generally, most of the customization revolves around cutting away leather in order to attain a different shape and fit. Some also add laces to help the saddle maintain its shape.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 07:11 AM
  #3  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts


TugaDude is offline  
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-01-20, 07:15 AM
  #4  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by somepetalhead View Post
Ok so there it is.

I want to customize my brooks saddle. (IMO its the most comfortable and worthy of my $150 or what ever they cost these days)

I am trying to complete a murdered out build for boozer cruiser or just a grimey ass tank of a bike. I have my sunday bike so no need to make this one pretty.

I am hating the silver or copper rivets on the Brooks leather saddles. OCD i guess or just annoyed I cant even pay for the hassle to be done out the box... but i have time on my hands this quarantine..

Has anybody done this? or customized the set up at least. im sure their has to be other people out here that feel the same (all of the C17-19 have black rivets)

fotos or options on this would be lovely. thanks

just trying to get the bike game in check before the gates of hell are opened back up.

cheers
Here is the Cambium page from the Brooks site. As you can see, they have all sorts of combinations of rivets, black, copper and silver. Not every option is in stock though. You could also reach out to them and ask about customization. I don't know if they do it or not, but why not ask?
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 07:25 AM
  #5  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Although I don't necessarily recommend it, this dude posted a "how-to" for those insisting on cutting up their Brooks.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Pla...rooks-Swallow/
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 06:39 AM
  #6  
Mikefule
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Although I don't necessarily recommend it, this dude posted a "how-to" for those insisting on cutting up their Brooks.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Pla...rooks-Swallow/
Yes, I'd buy a saddle from a firm that has been making them for 138 years and think, "Yep, I can probably do a better job." I'd spend a big wedge of money on one and immediately attack it with a Stanley knife. LOL
Mikefule is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 08:34 AM
  #7  
somepetalhead
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: MIA 305
Posts: 58

Bikes: BIANCHI SAN JOSE.55.WABI CLASSIC.55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Well I prefer the classic B17 but I do like the conquest also. I have had a few other models but I dont like the adapter for the 67s or any of the majorly springy models.

I have seen some of the fancy names do some C-models with anodized rivets. but Id just like a all black saddle. no silver or copper rivs no silver rails... im sure I cant be the only one.

Plus anytime ive ever done any maintenance to a brooks its basically game over the components seem to not be that promising to loosing or tightening.

Id gladly pay 150$ plus for all of this done for me already. but it is cool to see the custom customs... not the backyard throwing knife cut outs but just cool to see the different creative process.
somepetalhead is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 08:42 AM
  #8  
ups
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by somepetalhead View Post
Well I prefer the classic B17 but I do like the conquest also. I have had a few other models but I dont like the adapter for the 67s or any of the majorly springy models.
.
My Conquest is my favorite saddle.
ups is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 09:04 AM
  #9  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ups View Post
My Conquest is my favorite saddle.
I haven't ridden it enough to have a firm opinion, but I got a Conquest a few years back and put it on a Redline Monogog. The times I rode it, I thought it might be THE saddle for gravel rides or some buffed-out singletrack. It reeks of quality.
TugaDude is offline  
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-05-20, 09:07 AM
  #10  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by somepetalhead View Post
Well I prefer the classic B17 but I do like the conquest also. I have had a few other models but I dont like the adapter for the 67s or any of the majorly springy models.

I have seen some of the fancy names do some C-models with anodized rivets. but Id just like a all black saddle. no silver or copper rivs no silver rails... im sure I cant be the only one.

Plus anytime ive ever done any maintenance to a brooks its basically game over the components seem to not be that promising to loosing or tightening.

Id gladly pay 150$ plus for all of this done for me already. but it is cool to see the custom customs... not the backyard throwing knife cut outs but just cool to see the different creative process.
this one meets your requirements but it is the carved version. Personally, if I were to buy a Cambium, I'd go with the carved version. YMMV.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_row...ved-black.html
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 09:17 AM
  #11  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
By the way, can any members here give a testimonial on how the Cambium saddles hold up? I've seen some reviews that were less than stellar. Basically, showing the tops all worn down and frayed, etc.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 09:29 AM
  #12  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,052
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,185 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Yes, I'd buy a saddle from a firm that has been making them for 138 years and think, "Yep, I can probably do a better job." I'd spend a big wedge of money on one and immediately attack it with a Stanley knife. LOL
I actually did this (on a blue basic B17 I got on discount). I used an Xacto knife. For the bike in question, it was an improvement. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend this approach, but it can alter the characteristics of the saddle. I also have un-mutilated (and pricier) Brooks saddles, which were, for whatever reason, more comfortable than this blue one. This one wasn't living up to expectations, so it was either alter it or put it on a shelf.
wgscott is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 11:21 AM
  #13  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I actually did this (on a blue basic B17 I got on discount). I used an Xacto knife. For the bike in question, it was an improvement. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend this approach, but it can alter the characteristics of the saddle. I also have un-mutilated (and pricier) Brooks saddles, which were, for whatever reason, more comfortable than this blue one. This one wasn't living up to expectations, so it was either alter it or put it on a shelf.
There has always been and continues to be a big difference in Brooks saddles. Any leather saddles, I'm sure. The reason is it is impossible to make every piece of leather exactly the same as all of the others. I have purchased new B-17s that were perfect from the start, no break-in required. I also have some that no matter what I do, refuse to soften up. I have at least 7 Brooks saddles and each of them is its own unique beast.

I am not surprised that a special blue Brooks felt different. I purchased a green and copper B-17 Special and it is beyond firm. It is on a bike that sadly will get little action for awhile, so there is little chance of it breaking in anytime soon.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 12:17 PM
  #14  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,052
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,185 Times in 619 Posts
Cutting the skirts off really helped. It would look better if the rails were chrome.




I recently bought a Gilles Berthoud saddle, since my copper-rivet Brooks was insufficiently boutique and expensive. It feels quite different. I'm still trying to decide if I like it better.



Last edited by wgscott; 05-06-20 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added a pic
wgscott is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:25 AM
  #15  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 26,029

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
By the way, can any members here give a testimonial on how the Cambium saddles hold up? I've seen some reviews that were less than stellar. Basically, showing the tops all worn down and frayed, etc.
The first couple of versions sucked. The fabric was very rough and it seems like they hadn't quite figured out what to do along the edges, which would fray really quickly and fall apart.

The updated "All Weather" models use a different fabric top and have a much slicker feel. The edges are also very smooth. My wife has been using one for a little over a year and it's holding up really well. It's still dark black and hasn't gotten ratty looking at all.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:36 AM
  #16  
catacombs
Member
 
catacombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: /home/
Posts: 28

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Speaking of Brooks saddles: How long would you say it takes to break it in? People say it's the most comfortable saddle ever, but I'm still working through mine.
catacombs is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:59 AM
  #17  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
The first couple of versions sucked. The fabric was very rough and it seems like they hadn't quite figured out what to do along the edges, which would fray really quickly and fall apart.

The updated "All Weather" models use a different fabric top and have a much slicker feel. The edges are also very smooth. My wife has been using one for a little over a year and it's holding up really well. It's still dark black and hasn't gotten ratty looking at all.
Thank you for that! I was hoping that they would sort out the issues and find a way to provide a reliable product.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:26 AM
  #18  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by catacombs View Post
Speaking of Brooks saddles: How long would you say it takes to break it in? People say it's the most comfortable saddle ever, but I'm still working through mine.
Too many variables to make a definitive statement. How often you ride, the model of the saddle, your body weight, where you ride (weather, humidity, etc.) all play a role.

Some Brooks feel great right out of the box and others take years to fully break in. Some recommend methods of speeding up the process and still others say absolutely do not!

I love my Brooks saddles but as I stated above, they are all unique. They all seem to behave differently. I also have a several other leather saddles, Wright's and Ideale, specifically and they are way different as well.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 05:10 PM
  #19  
catacombs
Member
 
catacombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: /home/
Posts: 28

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Too many variables to make a definitive statement. How often you ride, the model of the saddle, your body weight, where you ride (weather, humidity, etc.) all play a role.

Some Brooks feel great right out of the box and others take years to fully break in. Some recommend methods of speeding up the process and still others say absolutely do not!

I love my Brooks saddles but as I stated above, they are all unique. They all seem to behave differently. I also have a several other leather saddles, Wright's and Ideale, specifically and they are way different as well.
Thanks. I've had mine, in black leather, for over a year. I rode consistently for a few months after purchasing it until some life events took me off the bike. I recently got back on it, and my ass feels like the first time I ever sat on it. Damn.
catacombs is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.