Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What do you think is causing this drivetrain noise?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What do you think is causing this drivetrain noise?

Old 06-23-20, 08:40 PM
  #1  
Skimax
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What do you think is causing this drivetrain noise?

Happens only when pedaling and sounds like the chain is rubbing the frame or something but it definitely isnít...

what could it be?? Or is this normal??

Skimax is offline  
Old 06-23-20, 09:13 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 5,993

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 195 Posts
Chainline is probably off. Don't actually try and measure or do anything, that was a joke.

Some bikes are noisier. If you use cheaper parts they tend to be less round and true and can make more noise because everything has sloppier tolerances. If you like a quieter drivetrain invest in higher quality parts and that will help.

My current happy drivetrain is Sugino Zen Chainring, EAI Gold Medal cog (or White Industries freewheel) and Izumi Super Toughness Chain. It is quiet and smooth but ain't cheap though cheaper than if I went for a Dura Ace 11 speed gruppo so there is that.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 06-23-20, 09:17 PM
  #3  
Skimax
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Chainline is probably off. Don't actually try and measure or do anything, that was a joke.

Some bikes are noisier. If you use cheaper parts they tend to be less round and true and can make more noise because everything has sloppier tolerances. If you like a quieter drivetrain invest in higher quality parts and that will help.

My current happy drivetrain is Sugino Zen Chainring, EAI Gold Medal cog (or White Industries freewheel) and Izumi Super Toughness Chain. It is quiet and smooth but ain't cheap though cheaper than if I went for a Dura Ace 11 speed gruppo so there is that.
itís a Sram S300 crankset with a Shimano SF-MX30 freewheel and a KMC X8 chain... :dunno:
Skimax is offline  
Old 06-23-20, 09:26 PM
  #4  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 26,026

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 34 Posts
MX30 freewheels are trash. Very common for them to be noisy just like yours.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 06-23-20, 09:29 PM
  #5  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 5,993

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax View Post
itís a Sram S300 crankset with a Shimano SF-MX30 freewheel and a KMC X8 chain... :dunno:
Nothing exceptional there, it isn't bad by any means but it is not exceptionally high quality so the roundness and trueness still play a factor. I am assuming everything is 3/32 if not that could play a factor as well.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 06-23-20, 09:36 PM
  #6  
Skimax
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
MX30 freewheels are trash. Very common for them to be noisy just like yours.
alright, thanks for confirming that this is just how it is lol. Now i can stop searching for a problem and get on with my
life. Iíll order a better freewheel next time!
Skimax is offline  
Old 06-23-20, 09:37 PM
  #7  
Skimax
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Nothing exceptional there, it isn't bad by any means but it is not exceptionally high quality so the roundness and trueness still play a factor. I am assuming everything is 3/32 if not that could play a factor as well.
yeah everything is 3/32. Thanks for the feedback!
Skimax is offline  
Old 06-24-20, 09:39 PM
  #8  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 5,993

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax View Post
alright, thanks for confirming that this is just how it is lol. Now i can stop searching for a problem and get on with my
life. Iíll order a better freewheel next time!
White Industries, White Industries or White Industries. If you are going to run one gear, make it the best gear.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 06-25-20, 04:08 AM
  #9  
bonsai171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax View Post
alright, thanks for confirming that this is just how it is lol. Now i can stop searching for a problem and get on with my
life. Iíll order a better freewheel next time!
All kidding aside, chainline can be a factor too. Just swapped my crank to an All City (chainline was off by a few mm previously ) and now the chainline is dead on. Super quiet.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.